Watchmen

Schwaltzvald

• 4 weeks later...

I'm certainly going to go see this movie on opening night, and I just can't wait! I mean I would be seeing it on a midnight showing the night before but my friends have plans, and while I'll miss the costumes and the crazy fans it'll still be worth it.

Guess I should go and get my ticket tomorrow... I mean after all Watchmen so far as outsold 300 4 to 1 in advanced ticket sales, this one is going to be big!

I have my highest hopes for this one, and I'm only really skeptical for the ending, I'm not sure that it'll be on as epic a scale as the comics were.

Haven't made a movie thread in a good long time, last time was some time before UnMod got shut down. I guess this'll just become a general Watchmen discussion thread after the film comes out, but still... try and label yo spoilers.

I'm looking forward to a superhero movie where Ozymandias can be treated like the evil dickwad he is.

Of course, people will just say "mwaaah he saved heaps of other people."

Rorschach was right. Damn him, but he was right.

For years, I've had trouble taking The Hulk seriously. I thought it was hilariously unrealistic how every time he transformed, all his clothes would rip off his body except for a small strategically placed pair of pants covering his presumably massive green schlong.

Then I go to see The Watchmen.

Good god.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie a lot. It's just that sometimes it seemed that Mr. Manhattan's blue, glowing horse-cock was getting more character development that the Mr. Manhattan himself. Near the end, when he's walking down the stairs you can practically feel the breeze it creates swinging back and forth like a pendulum. It seemed that the only thing missing from the dongitude of this film was a gratuitous close up the damn thing.

I think I'm more than ready to go back to Hulk-pants now. I don't want to ever see another colorful superhero dick again.

the old thread was mad old and filled with conjecture. so i started a new thread just to have someone bump the old one within two minutes. oh well, thanks for covering my mistake, darke.

i saw it at midnight tonight. it was what i expected - a relatively fulfilling and artful presentation of the book. i knew it couldn't fulfill everything - particularly the marooned storyline, and the *spoiler* real ending *end spoiler* but it was still an exciting experience. intensely visceral, i had trouble watching a few parts (particularly the scene with the comedian and hooded justice and the scene with the dogs and the knives), but that's to be expected since they're just as visceral as the graphic novel portrayed them. there were some choices i didn't like, but as a whole i thought it was good.

what did you think?

Since I don't know which of the two threads on this movie is going to take off, I'll go ahead and respond to this one as well.

I liked the movie very much. It was a lot more intelligent than I expected, though I haven't read the graphic novel yet. The underlying themes were many, and they were pretty deep too. Leaves one with a lot to think about after the credits roll. On top of all of that, it was also just plain entertaining. I imagine I'll be seeing this one a few more times while it's still in theaters.

Also, as I subtly alluded to in my post in the other thread, I foresee many, many photoshops of Dr. Manhattan's member in the near future.

Hahahaha.

I like how the first time you see it, he's split into four people so it's like BAM, quadruple cock.

I've often wondered whether 'penises' or 'penii' is the proper term for the plural of penis. I usually wind up just hoping that whatever it is, I'll never actually have a reason to use it in a sentence.

That being said, the movie was great. I've actually had a copy of the novel sitting on my shelf for a while now, but I never actually bothered to pick it up. I think I'm going to now. If the book is even half as deep as the movie is, it should be a good read.

Just got back from seeing it.

To be honest, its kind of a weird movie. I enjoyed it and will certainly watch it again, but it was weird to have something follow the source so damn religiously. Granted, there are changes, but most of the changes are only there to make the movie feel more complete as opposed to having loose-ends or storylines not fully fleshed out (or fleshing out [quite literally] storylines not in the graphic novel).

Examples of this (MAJOR SPOILERS, LIKE HOLY SHIT)

1. The new ending is that the technology that Jon is working on when Rorschach first goes to him is actually a device to emulate his powers, and he is working on it for Veidt. Veidt then uses this technology to cause explosions in major cities around the world, making it seem like Dr. Manhattan was turning against Earth.

2. The Rorshach ink blot test while he's in prison isn't touched upon as much as in the graphic novel.

3. Only very minor references to the Black Freighter in the movie.

4. Nite Owl and girl-whose-name-I-can't-remember-because-its-late-and-I'm-extremely-tired get it on, and its HOT

The acting wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I think that the guy who played the Comedian did a quite excellent job of conveying the "Fucked-up-ness" of the character.

New ending was better. Thank you for sparing us from horrible cheese.

It is too bad that the majority of issues that this story has *both movie and graphic novel* will be completely over looked.

Went with a group of friends and all they talked about at the end was how rorschach was awesome in the jail scene and that is it. Completely missed a lot of the philisophical and psychological parts of the movie.

Spoiler: ozymandais needed to be more vain. He was kinda timid in the movie until the very end. Also it didn't emphasise on just how much of a fucking genius he is. sure it showed him watching the multpiple screens near the end, but my friends just thought he was watching them one at a time

copy paste from thread in general

New ending was better. Thank you for sparing us from horrible cheese.

It is too bad that the majority of issues that this story has *both movie and graphic novel* will be completely over looked.

Went with a group of friends and all they talked about at the end was how rorschach was awesome in the jail scene and that is it. Completely missed a lot of the philisophical and psychological parts of the movie.

Spoiler: ozymandais needed to be more vain. He was kinda timid in the movie until the very end. Also it didn't emphasise on just how much of a fucking genius he is. sure it showed him watching the multpiple screens near the end, but my friends just thought he was watching them one at a time

Not happy with the translation which was nearly literal for 90% of the movie, but almost entirely for the worse the remaining 10% of the time.

More "300" style slow-mo and poor editing. More unconvincing acting.

I'm upset that they made Manhattan out to be a victim. Upset that Nite Owl seemed to care more about Rorschach than what Ozymandias had just done to the world. Upset Rorschach didn't give his memorable "Never" and "Joking, of course."

Particularly upset they made Rorschach into a butcher of humans. He gave the child-murderer a chance to live...

And now that humanity isn't united on the alien front, but on the Manhattan front (which they can totally replicate in their own countries), they don't need each other's help. How could that point be ignored?

However, I did like the portrayal of Comedian. Seemed a bit more convincing than the book.

Most people completely miss the parts of movies that require deep thought, it's really more important to be all like OH MAN THAT WAS SO BADASS AND AWESOME AND THINGS! :P

I haven't seen it yet, but that's because I want to avoid the crowds, it will be the first time I've gone to a theater by myself, and I'd rather not be surrounded by a bunch of crazy males with too much fan boy and "BADASS" flowing through their brains. It's nice to watch a movie in peace.

Most people completely miss the parts of movies that require deep thought, it's really more important to be all like OH MAN THAT WAS SO BADASS AND AWESOME AND THINGS! :P

I haven't seen it yet, but that's because I want to avoid the crowds, it will be the first time I've gone to a theater by myself, and I'd rather not be surrounded by a bunch of crazy males with too much fan boy and "BADASS" flowing through their brains. It's nice to watch a movie in peace.

hahaha don't go to a movie with me then :razz:

Though I do that kinda stuff mostly when it's just me and a few others that I know in the theatre.