OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

On the TF2 blog when they were talking about the Heavy Pack, Valve was discussing a way they could make heavies less medic-dependent, without them being overpowered with a medic on their back. Sandvich - take cover, sit down, eat, regain health? And somehow make it a ranged damage alternative to the shotgun too? Maybe?

Still, how else will heavies eat 100 "sandviches"? We'll know tomorrow I suppose.

On the TF2 blog when they were talking about the Heavy Pack, Valve was discussing a way they could make heavies less medic-dependent, without them being overpowered with a medic on their back. Sandvich - take cover, sit down, eat, regain health? And somehow make it a ranged damage alternative to the shotgun too? Maybe?

Still, how else will heavies eat 100 "sandviches"? We'll know tomorrow I suppose.

I was speculating earlier in the week that it would heal a certain amount, but leave you unable to shoot or move for a period of thme.

I assumed it would be a replacement taunt. They made the ubersaw play music. They made the fireball fatal. I figure it'll be a taunt that will recover slight damage?

For the record, I'm not playing until mass heavies die down. I tried playing today, but when there were 6+ heavies on each team... ... it was kinda stupid for me. I couldn't even snipe them like crazy because there were that many shooting at me (and that many on my team getting in the way). At least on the other updates, I could plow everyone else down as a heavy.

In the meantime, while this lasts, I'm going to suggest a strategy for red team on gravel pit that my friend suggested to me a while back. Point C, 1 medic, 1 engi (for teleporters/dispenser over turret), 1-2 snipers, everyone else is a heavy and is standing on the point gunning everything that comes.

I'll probably be back on in a week or two (actually, school starts next week, so I'll hop on Sunday).

Not only does it crash on changes to arena maps, but a map vote from cp_dustbowl (the map the server defaults to when it crashes and restarts) always switches the map to cp_badwater no matter what actually wins the vote.

I haven't seen anything about this on their forums, but at a best guess, mani admin and Metamod Source need new gametypes.txt and gamedata.txt files respectively.

And apparently some people are having achievements taken away from them (most people start with 2 extras, but some people are getting more than that taken away.) Some people had the theory that they had earned the achievements before the patch was released, but I had konspicuous konsumption (eat 100 sandviches) and I obviously didn't even have a sandvich yet.

This is odd.

Nah, it's really just more of Valve's shoddy patch-work showing again. Don't get me wrong, Valve's a good company and makes some great games, but damned if their TF2 patches actually work more than half the time. Any new content patches typically create a gaggle of new gremlins. Granted, usually only for a little while, but I'm surprised they rushed this out the door instead of fixing it first.

But what do I know?

Anyway, I'm interested in these Heavy updates. The sandvich sounds fun, but is sacrificing the shotgun really worth it? I know the shotgun's not a great weapon, but it really helps the Heavy in the rare situations that Sasha isn't appropriate. XD

Oh well. Experimentation will be the word of the day. Also? This will be a sublime time to play Medic. :)

The Arena maps (specifically the Green one and Granary) are AMAZINGLY fun. Too bad they crash every 30 minutes or so.

@ Triad: I can safely vouch for the fact that the Sammich (which is MUCH cooler than Sanvich, or what have you) is a must have, overpowered weapon. It's won me the (arena) match a few times now, simply 'cause I could walk behind a corner and get back a ton of health. Seriously, it's broken.

And I don't think that there are too many heavies on the OCR server anymore. It died down pretty quickly, actually (and thank God).

@ Bahamut: When they stop a'sploding the server/computers, can we have at least the Green one on rotation?