OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

@ Atmuh: Are we talking Melee or Brawl here? I used to play Melee competitively...but absolutely detest Brawl. Given, I was never really 'serious business' about it to the extent we're talking.

both

brawl is kinda dumb in some ways but i still like it also im much better at brawl than i was at melee

@ Chadly: Congrats and thanks for getting a mic! Yay!

To answer your question, I actually use Caps lock...and have yet to have any complaints with it at all.

The only odd thing is that occasionally I'll type like this:

hAHAHA, CRITS SUCK.

But...eh. It's right there where I need it. Then again, I use Q for crouch and my pinky for the A button (very similar to the way most people hold their hands on a keyboard normally).

@ Bahamut: With the little play experience I've had concerning competition...it's amazingly different. Pretty much you leave your mic on the entire time you're playing and tell your team everything that's going on. But you've already got that down (not saying you talk alot, but you're great at the communications thing).

It's definitely interesting.

im much better at brawl than i was at melee
Everybody is. :-/ Who'd you play in Melee?

Sup,

About the server advertising thing, Our server is always empty while your server is constantly full.

We were thinking of showing our server as an overflow server to you all. A place to go when your server is packed because we do enjoy playing with all of you.

Name: [ZUZ] Vanilla Server

IP: 8.12.70.175:27015

Rotation: Everything + a few customs

And on the recruiting, Bahamut sums it up perfectly

@SirChadlyOC

I enjoy the ALT key just be careful and don't check the scoreboard while talking.

Sup,

About the server advertising thing, Our server is always empty while your server is constantly full.

We were thinking of showing our server as an overflow server to you all. A place to go when your server is packed because we do enjoy playing with all of you.

Name: [ZUZ] Vanilla Server

IP: 8.12.70.175:27015

Rotation: Everything + a few customs

And on the recruiting, Bahamut sums it up perfectly

@SirChadlyOC

I enjoy the ALT key just be careful and don't check the scoreboard while talking.

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

Welcome to the forums Vahn!

I miss being rocket juggled by you. :-(

I use my middle mouse button for voice chat.

But anyway... why isn't the server at 30 users all the time? I could only see bumping it back down to 24 if the server can't handle the full load of 30 players, otherwise there's no reason to keep it at 24.

The hosting company has it set to 24, which is its max (due to bandwidth/stability concerns) - I think the server crashing issues earlier might've been due to that setting change I made with the config_arena.cfg file.

Also, what do you people think about demo sticky camping spawns, or in particular offense doing it to defense? Do you all think it should remain banned, or should we allow it to see what happens?

Also, what do you people think about demo sticky camping spawns, or in particular offense doing it to defense? Do you all think it should remain banned, or should we allow it to see what happens?

Definitely keep it banned imo. The problem with a demo sticky camping is that it's relatively easy for a demo compared to other classes to get to the spawn in the first place because of the sticky jumps, as well as the fact that there really isn't anything you can do against it coming from the spawn because you get instagibbed without the chance to retaliate. (which is less of a problem if say, a pyro or scout is spawn camping, in that case you can always retreat back into the spawn if the need arises)

I have a problem that happened for some days ago, i played TF2 on a custom map called viking_final for 2 hours and my monitor jumped into Power save mode, all i could do was a computer restart.

Anyone know why this happened and how i can fix it?

Today I installed the drivers to the monitor (yes i had forgot to do it). Can this have made this happen?

Sorry for my bad english :lol:

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time. I run Microsoft VISTA unfortunately, so i think it just happens occasionally. As long as it doesn't happen every time, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Updating the drivers is always a good choice, though, and if there was a problem, that has a good chance of fixing it. Good luck! Keep us updated if there's any improvement or more problems.

About sticky camping...

I've never really seen a problem with it. Sure, it's likely to get you a kill from the get go, but what's it matter? Just have a scout run out there and die once and then everyone can charge...

Or, since Pyros can now move the bombs, just have them blast it back if they can.

I dunno. It never seemed to me to merit a ban because it's a relatively insignificant thing...but it never bothered me that you did have it banned, though.

About sticky camping...

I've never really seen a problem with it. Sure, it's likely to get you a kill from the get go, but what's it matter? Just have a scout run out there and die once and then everyone can charge...

^ This.

Or, since Pyros can now move the bombs, just have them blast it back if they can.

Doesn't work both because it takes time for the spawn door to open and because the stickies are always on the top of the spawn door.

I dunno. It never seemed to me to merit a ban because it's a relatively insignificant thing...but it never bothered me that you did have it banned, though.

Same here.

For the record, any other class spawn camping (even if its a demo who uses grenades instead of stickies) is alright with me. It's just way too cheap to set up a sticky trap, and the fact that someone HAS to die to even get rid of the stickies (i.e. pretty much a guaranteed kill for the demo) is what annoys me. On the other hand if, say, an engineer would manage to set up a sentry overlooking the spawn (which is obviously way harder than sticky camping) I would laugh my ass off at that, and that engie would deserve every single kill he gets with it for going through that trouble.

how about an engineer who sets up a sentry outside of the exit of a spawn?
On the other hand if, say, an engineer would manage to set up a sentry overlooking the spawn (which is obviously way harder than sticky camping) I would laugh my ass off at that, and that engie would deserve every single kill he gets with it for going through that trouble.

Reading is good for you. Seriously, how incompetent must a team be to allow an engie to get by their front line and have enough time to set up a sentry outside their spawn? Never mind that level 1 sentries can be destroyed in a few hits by most classes anyway. If an engie manages to pull it off he deserves every kill he gets because it's damn hard to pull off.

Reading is good for you. Seriously, how incompetent must a team be to allow an engie to get by their front line and have enough time to set up a sentry outside their spawn? Never mind that level 1 sentries can be destroyed in a few hits by most classes anyway. If an engie manages to pull it off he deserves every kill he gets because it's damn hard to pull off.

Its very easy to pull off on gravel pit. As soon as one point is capped, the defenders concentrate all their efforts on the second point, which leaves an entire side of C open for engies to play. And since the people respawning get so spread out from those already defending the point, its usually easy pickins one at a time.

As for sticky camping: I say keep it banned. Sure it's easy to not get screwed by it, if you have an organized team. That rarely happens however, since most people don't have mics to warn about it quickly enough, or have voice disabled and can't hear the warnings. So if noone is using a mic, you're entire team is probably gonna get boned at least once just to find out. Not to mention if you're dead you can't communicate to the living people, so you can't have someone come back to help you or send warning to the rest of your team, for upwards of 20 seconds since you're on defense. In the end it could take half a minute or more just to organize your team well enough to break out. Which is ample time to lose a point, and likely the match thereafter.

If this was a private server, I'd say sure to removing that rule. But in a Pub, its just way to frustrating to deal with. One decent demoman can keep a team in their spawn for long enough for a second demo to arrive. Then you're absolutely fucked.