OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Where exactly should I nobuild so engies still have a purpose, but don't completely dominate?

Whoops, forgot to reply to this earlier.

My suggestions would be to make the ledge the briefcases are on nobuild, but have the areas above and below buildable. Not all maps have nobuild around intel, but in this case, it's fairly hard to see the area the intel is in until you actually drop down to it.

Also, I recommend shrinking the capture area so the ledges around the edge aren't part of the capture area, then making the area that is the new capture point nobuild... in other words, allow engineers to build around that ledge, possibly making the ledges a little wider so it's easier to place sentries on it.

As a general rule, a capture point's area (which doubles as the area directly around intel in a normal CTF map) is nobuild.

As for Scouts, smaller window height is a good idea. Just make sure the windows are still large enough to shoot from, including for sentry gun rockets.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, right now as a scout, if there's no defense (sentries?) set up, you can grab the intel, run out the lower center door, along the path, up the ramp, then double-jump to the ledge around the point area without any turns.

Lack of turns is an advantage to Scouts because of their speed... to be exact, it gives them an advantage over Soldiers, Pyros, Demomen, and Engineers (Sentries); all of these rely to some extent on surprise. There's also an advantage over Spies, but to a lesser extent, as it's near impossible to backstab a moving Scout as a Spy.

I almost forgot, there is one other bug I saw in this map: When Sudden Death starts, the control point does not reset to neutral.

I like the new server, lower ping <3

Whoops, forgot to reply to this earlier.

My suggestions would be to make the ledge the briefcases are on nobuild, but have the areas above and below buildable. Not all maps have nobuild around intel, but in this case, it's fairly hard to see the area the intel is in until you actually drop down to it.

Also, I recommend shrinking the capture area so the ledges around the edge aren't part of the capture area, then making the area that is the new capture point nobuild... in other words, allow engineers to build around that ledge, possibly making the ledges a little wider so it's easier to place sentries on it.

As a general rule, a capture point's area (which doubles as the area directly around intel in a normal CTF map) is nobuild.

As for Scouts, smaller window height is a good idea. Just make sure the windows are still large enough to shoot from, including for sentry gun rockets.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, right now as a scout, if there's no defense (sentries?) set up, you can grab the intel, run out the lower center door, along the path, up the ramp, then double-jump to the ledge around the point area without any turns.

Lack of turns is an advantage to Scouts because of their speed... to be exact, it gives them an advantage over Soldiers, Pyros, Demomen, and Engineers (Sentries); all of these rely to some extent on surprise. There's also an advantage over Spies, but to a lesser extent, as it's near impossible to backstab a moving Scout as a Spy.

I almost forgot, there is one other bug I saw in this map: When Sudden Death starts, the control point does not reset to neutral.

Thanks, what I had done before you said this was actually to make the ledge with the flag plus the ledges above it in the little building nobuild. I also shrunk the capture area to include only a square in the middle of the base (however still a reasonably sized cap point) and I nobuilded the ledges on the inside of the building by the windows. As per darkesword's suggestion I think I'll probably make some of the windows bulletproof, and shrink the rest.

The map is really favored to scouts right now, but I'm thinking of taking out the lower middle doorway altogether and replacing it with one on the far right side. Perhaps even put in another 1-way ramp facing away from the base, making the inside of the 4-way buildings a way to get into the base, but you can't run back or cruise through the middle with the flag. Flag holders would need to either go left through the castle wall, or right and up the buildings, or go around the first set of buildings to get to the ramp, or just head up to the second floor in the flag room and take the balconies.

The underground passage towards the door above the water also has a flag blocker, so anyone trying to bring the flag that way drops it.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about sudden death, there are certain things I can't test on my own.

I like the new server, lower ping <3

my ping is lower but id take a higher ping over getting kicked after every map any day

i too wanna know what the heck was wrong with the old server and why yet again these switches were not posed to the community

Give it time, people have to see the new IP and whatnot.

An explanation for the switch would be nice though.

I've noticed in the past month or so that the server performance seemed a bit questionable, in terms of lagging issues. I've noticed at one time Darke jumping when spectating him while dead, so I had a strong suspicion that Gameservers.com's bandwidth is being strained (Darke uses FiOS). presh commented to me recently about something in particular being a problem, I forget what, but recommended that we should change the server asap to something with no such hiccups in performance. So after trying out Powerlord's vgmusic box, we went back to Gameservers for now, although I switched to their Atlanta location in hopes that the better ping I've gotten from there makes the problem better, although it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I am still open to any suggestions for server hosting options in order to fix any problems if they currently exist.

I've noticed in the past month or so that the server performance seemed a bit questionable, in terms of lagging issues. I've noticed at one time Darke jumping when spectating him while dead, so I had a strong suspicion that Gameservers.com's bandwidth is being strained (Darke uses FiOS). presh commented to me recently about something in particular being a problem, I forget what, but recommended that we should change the server asap to something with no such hiccups in performance. So after trying out Powerlord's vgmusic box, we went back to Gameservers for now, although I switched to their Atlanta location in hopes that the better ping I've gotten from there makes the problem better, although it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I am still open to any suggestions for server hosting options in order to fix any problems if they currently exist.

does the same thing happen when i join and spectate im on fios too and im there a lot more than ds

I had some issues with rubber-banding last night. I'm not sure if it was local to my machine or not, though.