OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

I was back last night, and after a bit of fumbling on the first map (ctf_well), I think I'm back on form.

I might be back tonight, depending on how far I am along in this assignment that's due tomorrow.

Edit:

I'm bored of working on this assignment, so I'm checking to see which of our maps are out of date and installing new versions.

The following map upgrades will be installed (those without versions are the "final" versions):

arena_harvest_v2

cp_corporation_b3

cp_shabbytown_final

cp_woodshed_b2

ctf_2docks

ctf_aesoprock_b7

pl_cashworks_b3a

pl_cranetop_b8

pl_frontier_b2

pl_haywood_beta6

pl_hoodoo

pl_strider_v1

pl_woodland_b4

Edit 2: I just noticed that a lot of these aren't on the server's list of maps to include in the nominate menu, so you can't access them anyway.

You have to update the maplist.txt file in the Addons/Sourcemod/configs folder (or something like that).

I know which file it is; I had to update it to add the new versions of the maps that were in there.

Also, the regular maplist.txt seemed to be the same thing, so I replaced that one, too.

Oh wow, did not know about cashworks_b3a. Play on b2 last night and the night before that. Sweetness!

... go grab that map now, cause it's one of the greatest maps ever (not to mention 40mb) - http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/69298

Actually, if you unzip it, it's 90. ... still, awesome map.

For reference, here are links to all the maps on the download server. These are compressed bz2 files, but Steam games recognize them. Servers don't, but that's another story...

Currently in map rotation:

ctf_2fort_night

pl_dbheights_b2

Currently in nominate/admin select screens:

arena_2fort_b2

arena_mach2

arena_starship_v1

cp_2Skyscraper_b3

cp_420_water_arena_v3

cp_aqua

cp_avante_b2

cp_blackmesa

cp_castle4

cp_dam

cp_desertfortress

cp_downtown_b31

cp_lazytown

cp_orange_x3

cp_shabbytown_final

cp_snowpath_b2

cp_studio_rc4

cp_warpath

ctf_convoy_v2

ctf_cruise_b1

ctf_mach4

ctf_snofort_final

pl_cashworks_b3a

pl_cave_b6

pl_donkeykong_final

pl_dustbowl_b4

pl_haywood_beta6

pl_hoodoo

pl_strider_v1

Not currently in nominate/admin screens, but still on server:

achievementbox_b3

arena_harvest_v2

avanti_b1

cp_concussion

cp_corporation_b3

cp_cyberpunk

cp_labor

cp_smbcastle2

cp_stronghold_b1

cp_toy_fort_elite

cp_warpath2

cp_wolf2_b1

cp_woodshed_b2

ctf_1fort_a1

ctf_2docks

ctf_aesoprock_b7

ctf_bball2

ctf_blitz

ctf_crossunder

ctf_hallofdeath

ctf_royal_b3

ctp_epsilon_a3

cyberpunk

garbage_day

pl_cranetop_b8

pl_frontier_b2

pl_grassandcave_a5

pl_payback_beta

pl_woodland_b4

So now that I'm off co-op and can browse these forums during the day, expect to see me around quite a bit more. My roommate has started playing with me on the server - he goes by Prophet Orwell. I'll talk to him about registering on the forums here, too.

Can we try out pl_great_heights? I've played it on a couple other servers, and it's great fun. Probably one of the most balanced PL maps I've played, there's a nifty underwater section, lots of environmental hazards, and most chokepoints are balanced enough to break through with coordination. The third stage is a bit rough (in terms of quality) but otherwise it's a good map.

i thought "ocr night" was on hold until we were able to have a large enough population of regulars to warrant a weekly password night again, but i'd really like it to make a return.

I REALLY like cashworks, bahamut said it's in the rotation after dustbowl

and goldrush, so hopefully when enough regulars have the map we won't see the massive drop off in users when it switches. A number of guys always says 'customs kill servers,' but that really isn't true from my observation... it tends to be downloading and the resulting player drops from the server that does it. Dr.Tiddlywink's "Downtown_b31" seems to be pretty popular these days, whenever we switch to it if we're in a slump, we end up filling right back up (i guess the fact that it's tiny in comparison to others helps).

Speaking of Downtown, Tiddly has been working on a new version, with larger buildings and less outside area to run around in. I'm not too sure of what to think about it right now, but to me it's not nearly as fun as the old version b31, although it does show a lot better work in details and other things... I may have to give it a bit more time, and try to give him some better feedback than 'tiddly, you're dumb!' :<

Tonight while Brushfire and I were playing (just after bahamut and most of the rest of the OCR crew left... around 12 am central) we ended up downloading the quake sounds, and when we got in game they were functioning, which is really cool (and if they bug you, you can use !quake or /quake to bring up the menu for changing your settings), but the "humiliation" thing for backstabs is REALLY annoying, especially when there's a good spy on a payload map where the other team fails at spell checking. Is there any way that that event could be ignored?

Irony +1!!! :razz:

Was going to point this out as well.

I've said this a few times, at least 4 to Tiddly alone, but Downtown is a TON of fun. Absolutely a blast. We need to play it quite a bit more. I'm skeptical about the changes that Garian highlighted (I really like the amount of out-of-doors that's in it), but I'm glad to hear it's symmetrical now.

Also, is there a list somewhere of the current map rotation? I suppose I should check the first post, I'll do that now.

Cashworks has way too many low-performance open areas for me to enjoy. I like the map, it just runs like shit on my computer. (At worst Dustbowl/Goldrush get down to 10fps during spamfests, Cashworks was dipping under 5 in open areas with no one shooting anything, and never above 20.)

I liked the original version of downtown with the underground area, even with the spawns facing each other. If you combine the back-area spawns with the underground middle CP, spread out the buildings a little (it was way too easy to stickyjump across), and moved some of the health/ammo pickups around (there was a medium healthkit on every building point, if you knew where they were you had a huge advantage as an attacker) it could be a great map.

Also I'm going to bug everyone daily until great heights is put on :)

Can you also put cranetop in the nominate list? That one's great fun for small/medium teams (not so much above 9v9 though).

Current map rotation is:

ctf_2fort

cp_granary

ctf_well

arena_badlands

cp_dustbowl

tc_hydro

pl_badwater

cp_fastlane

pl_goldrush

cp_gravelpit

cp_orange_x3

pl_dbheights_b2

arena_ravine

ctf_turbine

cp_steel

pl_goldrush

cp_dustbowl

pl_cashworks_b3a

cp_well

arena_lumberyard

cp_badlands

(looks like 2fort_night's been removed from rotation)

Also, maplist has been updated. All maps on the server should now be in the nominate menu/admin list.

There has also been one other slight change: rtv will only show maps from the map rotation except for those nominated by people.

P.S. Is cp_downtown_a2 the new one?

a2 is a new one, although it's quite different from b31. People weren't happy with downtown_steaksauce (the one before a2) because of a few things brought up, but perhaps it'd be good to try a2 to see how it goes sometime.

Also I'm going to bug everyone daily until great heights is put on :)

In a few minutes it will be there.

Edit: It's on the server now. Also I recommend everyone who might want to play pl_great_heights_b2 download it from the fpsbanana link on the first page, as it's a hefty 30+ MB download zipped.

Edit #2: Two random pics!

hireebusislookinggood.jpg

platypigislookinggoodh.jpg

Also, three more things - Xerol suggested we have a custom map night. Anyone up for this?

I'm also going to bring up this question again - do we want an OCR only night again on the server?

And third, on Wednesday night, I'll be on the server to micspam up some of the tracks from the DKC 2 project - don't miss it for full length listens!

Also, three more things - Xerol suggested we have a custom map night. Anyone up for this?

yes

I'm also going to bring up this question again - do we want an OCR only night again on the server?

yes

And third, on Wednesday night, I'll be on the server to micspam up some of the tracks from the DKC 2 project - don't miss it for full length listens!

yes

I wasn't able to join in on this when I saw the HLStats page for the OCR server, but uhh... what was with all the pokemon names? I only recognized garian cause I saw him as electabuzz previously, but I have no clue who the rest of them were.

rambo: rofl spellchecking!

windstrike: that was brushfire having fun with the sm_rename admin command, he was garchomp. i'm not really certain WHO everyone was at this point because the sm_rename changes only last until the person leaves the server or map changes. also i'm sticking with electabuzz right now because of my spray

excellent! we can always use more ocr guys!

also i forgot to chip in my support for PW night and Customs night, i was thinking that probably monday or tuesday should be customs because those are pretty slow nights except for the extra-regulars (usually me, ellipse, joseki, and brushfire) and any pubs who happen to be playing through the night. Seems we've been attracting some new regular players, too, which is good!

I remember for a while we were still getting full 24 player games with password back in the autumn when it was by word of mouth... people inviting their friends seemed to work out better because the games were a lot more intense, and a higher ratio would have mic, and those who didn't would still communicate via chat or voice commands!

finally: previews of the DKC2 project is going to be AWESOME.