OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

@ Xerol: That's such an amazing idea. Now if only my campus hadn't JUST BLOCKED TORRENTS.

Man. This college is so awful, internet wise. :-(

My college blocked access to STEAM. I went 3 years without any online Half Life games until I sneaked Time Warner in my senior year.

My college blocked access to STEAM. I went 3 years without any online Half Life games until I sneaked Time Warner in my senior year.

Shit Chadly, did you try connecting with a VPN??? That worked at my school.

EDIT: For anyone who watches LOST. The FAN was in the last episode. :D

no

no snuck

220px-thesneak.PNG'D

I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to get through, especially because I didn't know anybody else who played STEAM games who could walk me through it. Even if I did, I couldn't get on to talk to them anyway.

That and the IT department made a habit of threatening to block people's internet access for trying to get around the firewall.

I'm not sure why, but I was getting a lot of lost packets when I was on last night.

So, even with a ping of 30 or so, the game was unplayable.

You can tell if you're getting lost packets if you start rubber-banding or you can't change weapons (it instantly switches you back to the old one).

you can't change weapons (it instantly switches you back to the old one).

THAT'S WHAT THAT IS!?

UGH. See... I've always assumed that it was because my computer was garbage and F***ed up every now and then. (not that my computer isnt garbage)

It's SO much fun when you're playing spy and that happens. SO much fun. annnnd BACKSTAB WITH MY SAPPER.

THAT'S WHAT THAT IS!?

UGH. See... I've always assumed that it was because my computer was garbage and F***ed up every now and then. (not that my computer isnt garbage)

It's SO much fun when you're playing spy and that happens. SO much fun. annnnd BACKSTAB WITH MY SAPPER.

Actually, that's what finally caused me to give up yesterday. >:/

As far as I know, it's lost packets.

I played TF2 for the first time last night on this server and I was yelled at for not being a medic ;_;

I suggest ignoring them and starting as one of the offensive classes (Soldier, Heavy, or Pyro).

Unless you're really good at headshots, then I'd recommend Sniper.

Once you get a feel for the game, then try the more unique classes.

I suggest ignoring them and starting as one of the offensive classes (Soldier, Heavy, or Pyro).

Unless you're really good at headshots, then I'd recommend Sniper.

Once you get a feel for the game, then try the more unique classes.

Don't mind Azul, he's just being emo.

Well, I was complaining about there being no medics (except for me) yesterday at some point...but more over the lack of soldiers/demos/pyros, when we would have like 3 scouts, and 2 spies (one time there were 4 spies). That's just beyond ridiculous.

Actually, that's what finally caused me to give up yesterday. >:/

As far as I know, it's lost packets.

I filed a support ticket about this this morning, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

don't listen to powerlord only play engineer with me

The problem with starting out as Medic, Engineer, or Spy is that you should observe the inter-class dynamics first.

The best way to do THAT is on the front line.

I suppose you could play as Scout to observe that, but then you tend to be ahead of the main action... until you run into enemy sentry guns.

Medic is good for starting out because you can follow behind most classes and get a feel for the maps, and how the different classes play.

Anyway, I finally got my new box set up, but I have to download TF2 from scratch so I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow, unless copying the Steam folder over works, in which case it'll be about 2 hours anyway because the copy of the Steam folder I have is about 2 months old (the drive Steam is installed on is still being used as the boot drive in the old machine, but I have a backup which is currently a secondary partition on my current boot drive).

Medic is good for starting out because you can follow behind most classes and get a feel for the maps, and how the different classes play.

Anyway, I finally got my new box set up, but I have to download TF2 from scratch so I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow, unless copying the Steam folder over works, in which case it'll be about 2 hours anyway because the copy of the Steam folder I have is about 2 months old (the drive Steam is installed on is still being used as the boot drive in the old machine, but I have a backup which is currently a secondary partition on my current boot drive).

I'm not sure if copying it works (can't see why it wouldn't...), but Steam does have a backup option. Only problem is that it's a bit on the slow side. Still, it also lets you create CD/DVD images of your Steam games, so you can burn them for later!

Edit: I lolled at someone who swore because I managed to kill them as a Heavy when they were trying to circle-strafe me as a Scout.

@ Xerol: Yes, you can copy certain files over and it should greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to download TF2. That's the only way I was able to download/install it on my crappy internet connection without it taking 2 weeks.

And I also agree with you about the Medic. That's the first class I played and it's honestly, IMO, the best to start with because it a) teaches you one of the unique classes, B) teaches you about the strengths and weaknesses of the heavier classes and c) makes you useful to your team.