OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

What exactly does that do, Chadly?

And I finished downloading the maps. Both me and Hank should be on tonight for custom map night, ping permitting.

I think it changes the frame rate or something. I first heard about the command 3 years ago as it was instructed to players with high ping. They were told to change to "rate 10000" instead of the default setting. I never really noticed much difference though. I might just be completely talking out of my ass.

SPY SAPPIN' MAH LOGIC!!

I think it changes the frame rate or something. I first heard about the command 3 years ago as it was instructed to players with high ping. They were told to change to "rate 10000" instead of the default setting. I never really noticed much difference though. I might just be completely talking out of my ass.

SPY SAPPIN' MAH LOGIC!!

From a Natural Selection wiki:

"The rate and cl_rate command controls the amount of data the server sends to the client. The rate variable itself is bound to all Half-Life based Steam games and set via a Windows registry entry, thus changing the value in the userconfig.cfg or config.cfg file will not change this value. The cl_rate variable specifies the server how many bytes per second to send the client. It a general misconception that this should be set to 20000, which is the maximum setting. Most servers connected to your client will not be configured to send your client information 20000 bytes per second. A reasonable setting for this for the rate is between 12000-15000 (approximately 14 kilobytes per second). The rate value should however not be set below 10000. The rate and cl_rate values should be the same."

From a Natural Selection wiki:

"The rate and cl_rate command controls the amount of data the server sends to the client. The rate variable itself is bound to all Half-Life based Steam games and set via a Windows registry entry, thus changing the value in the userconfig.cfg or config.cfg file will not change this value. The cl_rate variable specifies the server how many bytes per second to send the client. It a general misconception that this should be set to 20000, which is the maximum setting. Most servers connected to your client will not be configured to send your client information 20000 bytes per second. A reasonable setting for this for the rate is between 12000-15000 (approximately 14 kilobytes per second). The rate value should however not be set below 10000. The rate and cl_rate values should be the same."

That's kinda what I figured it did... I used to run a UT server that had a setting like this.

Although that had both the server max setting and the client setting. As I recall, dial-up needed extremely low settings, seeing as how a 56k modem tops out at 8kbps.

Custom map night came and went... it seemed to go OK for the most part, although attendance wasn't that high at the beginning.

I personally found some maps that I sorta liked, and also found there's one that I really don't like (great heights).

I've restored the old mapcycle (I grabbed it Tuesday), so two map changes from now should be back to normal.

cp_pacman_wtf_normal was OK, although it's a bit biased in favor of Scoots and Pyros, and against Heavies and Soldiers (at least those who can't seem to get rocket jumping down). The Red Ghost is faster than all classes except Scoots, making it a bit cheap. Yes, I'm aware you can check the ceiling for the ghost positions.

pl_waste (two-direction cart) was OK, but it could use a short cooldown before it switches directions... or on points, like it does before the cart initially starts moving.

tc_meridian... didn't work so well. It's got all the same problems Hydro does. It's not like a traditional CTF map because there are less routes and they have more bottlenecks that you have to pass through.

cp_follower was like an odd mix of Granary and Badlands. I'm not so sure I like the way it's laid out, though. For example, I kept forgetting that between points 2 and 3, you have to go to the upper-center(?) or lower-left... lower-right doesn't go through and you have to detour back to one of the other routes. This is in contrast to granary, which has lower-left and lower-right passages.

pl_great_heights... didn't care for that one. Part of that may have been the seriously unbalanced teams prior to the forced team scramble. Still, most of the map is far too linear... it's like playing the Goldrush part 3, between points 2 and 3 for an entire map, up until the last cap point of part 2.

cp_roundhouse - Was confusing at first, but got better as we played it more. The train really needs the train sounds, though. Side note: You can ride the train.

ctf_waterhole - Hated it. Too dark to see anything, particularly in the water. Ended up playing Engy for half the map just to avoid the water area.

cp_yukon - By the time this map came up, there were less than 8 people left on the server. Doesn't work well with small teams... which is surprising since it's supposed to be for 6v6. Also, the geometry seems forced... rather than like natural terrain. While that makes sense for bridges and such, it also applies to the rock formations.

It was alright. I didn't like when maps got RTVd, as this sort of defeats the purpose of the night. So the sooner we can agree on a playable map rotation the better!!

Pacman IS fun. But it's a pure scouts -vs- engies map.

I don't see how anyone can not like great heights, its the awesome.

Also, its amazing to hear people panic during waste. Seems like everyone on the start was saying they didnt know where to go. Its a PL map people. It has tracks, you follow the tracks out of your base door to the cart if you are on red or blue.

I don't see how anyone can not like great heights, its the awesome.

Also, its amazing to hear people panic during waste. Seems like everyone on the start was saying they didnt know where to go. Its a PL map people. It has tracks, you follow the tracks out of your base door to the cart if you are on red or blue.

You mean the tracks that split, go through doors, and other unusual things?

I didn't get to play swift on the OCR server, but I did try it out a few days before on another. I really like the set up for it, except the very end point. Then again the server I was on had 5 engies on red building sentries up on the top level above the last point, so only an uber demo really had a shot of taking them out. It was still a fun map though.-+

We were just testing them out. I'm glad we kept voting for a new one to try.

10-15 minutes isn't a very long time to determine the merit of a map. We didn't even see the second or portions on some of them.

Imagine basing your judgement of cp_steel in 15 mins or less. I would sure as hell hate it.

EDIT: Great heights cut my fps by over 50% in some areas, and I was the only person in the server and standing still. lol

So...what would be a good map rotation for tomorrow on OCR only day?

The server maplist is:

achievementbox_b3

arena_2fort_b2

arena_badlands

arena_granary

arena_harvest_v2

arena_lumberyard

arena_mach2

arena_ravine

arena_starship_v1

arena_watchtower

arena_well

avanti_b1

cp_2Skyscraper_b3

cp_420_water_arena_v3

cp_aqua

cp_avante_b2

cp_badlands

cp_blackmesa

cp_castle4

cp_concussion

cp_corporation_b3

cp_cyberpunk

cp_dam

cp_desertfortress

cp_devilsbrew_1_3

cp_downtown_a2

cp_downtown_b31

cp_dustbowl

cp_egypt_final

cp_fastlane

cp_follower_rc1

cp_granary

cp_gravelpit

cp_industrial_b6

cp_junction_final

cp_labor

cp_lazytown

cp_orange_x3

cp_pacman_wtf_normal

cp_pacman_wtf_party

cp_roundhouse_1_2d

cp_shabbytown_final

cp_smbcastle2

cp_snowpath_b2

cp_steel

cp_stronghold_b1

cp_studio_rc4

cp_toy_fort_elite

cp_warpath

cp_warpath2

cp_well

cp_wolf2_b1

cp_woodshed_b2

cp_yukon_rc

ctf_1fort_a2

ctf_2docks

ctf_2fort

ctf_2fort_night

ctf_2fort_night2_b2

ctf_aesoprock_b7

ctf_bball2

ctf_blitz

ctf_convoy_v2

ctf_crossunder

ctf_cruise_b1

ctf_hallofdeath

ctf_mach4

ctf_royal_b3

ctf_snofort_final

ctf_turbine

ctf_waterhole_b4

ctf_well

ctp_epsilon_a3

cyberpunk

downtown_steaksauce

garbage_day

pl_badwater

pl_cashworks_b3a

pl_cave_b6

pl_cranetop_b8

pl_dbheights_b2

pl_donkeykong_final

pl_dustbowl_b4

pl_frontier_b2

pl_goldrush

pl_grassandcave_a5

pl_great_heights_b2

pl_haywood_beta6

pl_hoodoo

pl_mill_b5

pl_payback_beta

pl_strider_v1

pl_swift_final

pl_waste_b4

pl_woodland_b4

tc_hydro

tc_meridian_b5

Also the server password for the day tomorrow is ocrtf2sat

I'm all for it if cp_steel and pl_cashworks are on there or something (seeing as they're my favorite two maps... actually, cp_blackmesa is really fun too).

I'm not gonna be on TF2 too much until after the end of next week, but I'll be sure to hop on tomorrow sometime relatively early (probably between 7:00-8:00pm EST). Reason being that I'm in the pit orchestra for my school's play (doing Copacabana) and we started doing 4:00-8:30 rehearsals recently, and then we're doing the shows at the end half of next week, so I'm pretty much out for the most part.

Oh man Bahamut, that crit rocket I reflected back at you was the highlight of my whole night :D

I was not expecting that...but everyone always gets Hotshot off of me. :sad:

So the map rotation for the day is:

cp_dustbowl

pl_waste_b4

cp_toy_fort_elite

ctf_turbine

pl_cashworks_b3a

cp_pacman_wtf_normal

arena_harvest_v2

pl_badwater

ctf_2fort_night2_b2

cp_steel

pl_goldrush

ctf_royal_b3

cp_blackmesa

arena_storm_b1c

pl_switf_final

cp_devilsbrew_final

dm_quake_castle_b2

ctf_staging_a11

If there are other maps people want me to add to this, feel free to comment. I definitely recommend grabbing what maps you can beforehand via the links in the first post of the thread, so as to make the downloading easier for those who aren't able to do so beforehand (or haven't looked at the thread).

I was not expecting that...but everyone always gets Hotshot off of me. :sad:

So the map rotation for the day is:

cp_dustbowl

pl_waste_b4

cp_toy_fort_elite

ctf_turbine

pl_cashworks_b3a

cp_pacman_wtf_normal

arena_harvest_v2

pl_badwater

ctf_2fort_night2_b2

cp_steel

pl_goldrush

ctf_royal_b3

cp_blackmesa

arena_storm_b1c

pl_switf_final

cp_devilsbrew_final

dm_quake_castle_b2

ctf_staging_a11

If there are other maps people want me to add to this, feel free to comment. I definitely recommend grabbing what maps you can beforehand via the links in the first post of the thread, so as to make the downloading easier for those who aren't able to do so beforehand (or haven't looked at the thread).

pl_swift_final is misspelled.