OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

tf2 is fun until people try to convince me that soldier takes skill

IMO, if you want to get technical, only 6 (Scout, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, and Spy) classes take any skill whatsoever and 2 of those (Demoman and Engineer) are debatable.

So, anyway, I just had a group of one regular and two semi-regulars complain to me about the number of new maps that are showing up for custom map night:

9:50 PM - Depo 007: My biggest gripe is that more maps keep getting put on the server.

9:50 PM - [OCR]Powerlord: Yup

9:50 PM - Depo 007: So despite having the complete custom map set I still have to wait to download

(Disclaimer: I initiated this conversation when I noticed they weren't on OCR's server)

Depo 007 being Secret Agent Man who posts in this thread sometimes.

I can kinda see where he's coming from... the 18th we had 17 new maps, and there've been another 4 new maps since then.

...and I'd have no idea that there were new maps if the map mirror list wasn't now sortable by date when you click on the appropriate header.

IMO, if you want to get technical, only 6 (Scout, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper, and Spy) classes take any skill whatsoever and 2 of those (Demoman and Engineer) are debatable.

Soldier takes far more skill than medic :? .

And it's pretty laughable that Bleck tried to say that pyro takes more skill than Soldier.

What was the deal with the complaint that somebody was invisible? They had to record demo then stop recording... ???

I've been getting that, too. All of a sudden I'd see rockets or grenades or whatever coming out of thin air. I'd die and THEN they'd appear on my screen.

zephyr what I am saying is that it is way easier to be successful as some classes than it is others - but being successful doesn't necessarily mean being good for some classes

I understand what you and powerlord are saying, but skill shouldn't be the focus or your statements. Every class has enough depth that a skilled player will be 10x more effective than an unskilled player of the same class. So as you basically said in your last post, it comes down to what class will a n00b succeed with.

Soldier and demoman are the best classes for n00bs to be effective with (since they're arguably the most overpowered at any level of competitiveness), but that hardly implies that every soldier and demo may as well be a n00b, as your statements (directly or indirectly) imply. The effectiveness of every class is multiplied by the player's skill level.

I would say the only classes that will fail a n00b horrendously are scout and spy (and to some degree sniper), since they have much higher learning curves.

The effectiveness of every class is multiplied by the player's skill level.

this is what I disagree with

a skilled sniper will actually get kills, an unskilled sniper won't

a skilled soldier will get a lot of kills, an unskilled soldier... will get a lot of kills and I guess look less cool while doing it or something

this is what I disagree with

a skilled sniper will actually get kills, an unskilled sniper won't

What do you mean all you have to do is charge + bodyshot.

Anyways n00b soldiers are pretty easy to take out with any class, long as they don't crit, but honestly even then that's more of a complaint about crits than Soldiers.

Class debates are lulz. Each class is good at it's own particular thing, and each player has strengths and weaknesses. Such as, for whatever reason, I suck at close range -- so I go for sniper, heavy, or soldier when I'm trying to cause damage, rather than scout, pyro, or spy (but I still go pyro if I'm getting spy-raped harder than usual, or if the fight has devolved into a clusterfuck "EVERYONE CHARGE IN AND DO AS MUCH DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE BEFORE YOU DIE" sort of thing, because that's what the pyro is good at). Part of being good at a class is just knowing when to use it.

That said, I was totally dominating everyone on that one map we were playing before the server crashed (waterfront or riverbank or something?). That map was MADE for snipers. There were like eight long straight choke points with no cover. My biggest problem was that I would take a shot before I was charged, so even a headshot wouldn't do all that much damage. I swear I must have headshotted that one heavy being healed by the medic 4 or 5 times....

My biggest problem was that I would take a shot before I was charged, so even a headshot wouldn't do all that much damage. I swear I must have headshotted that one heavy being healed by the medic 4 or 5 times....

You can kill 6 of the 9 classes with a single uncharged headshot, unless they're being buffed. When it comes to sniping heavies, if they're overhealed, make sure your meter is at 100% unless as you say, you anticipate taking 4 or 5 shots. lol

I don't think even two consecutive 80% shots will take out a buffed heavy if he's not undergoing support fire.

durrrrrrrr

Woah, stop. You're getting to me.

What was the deal with the complaint that somebody was invisible? They had to record demo then stop recording... ???
I didn't mean to sound whiney....but what was me.

Y'know how sometimes when you minimize (or just because, haha) the game'll mess up and show someone swimming instead of walking, turn weapons into other weapons, etc? Well, sometimes the guy turns invisible. Last night it was Seldon.

Unknown to me, it's easily fixed. If you type, in console, 'record DEMO' where DEMO is the name of the demo, it fixes the problem. That's what that was all about (thanks to Baha and Seldon for the fix).

...but being successful doesn't necessarily mean being good for some classes...
This has already been talked about to death, but I figured I'd chime.

I think that this sentence and Rambo have it spot on: some classes (Pyro and Engineer spring to mind) are easier than others (Sniper, Spy) for a completely new guy to pick up. But, just because you're successful with a class doesn't mean you're good which is exactly what Bleck said.

The skill ceiling is high for most classes (Engineer is the only exception here, me thinks). I think the difference is pretty obvious between a decent Pyro and one who buys into the whole W+M1 strategy. Same between Bahamut and newsoldier123.

[Edit:]

Sorry, this is longer than I wanted it to be. Apparently I _really_ don't wanna study for my exams.