OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Y'know what map we never really gave a fair shot? That one payload map where it was tug-of-war style.

We should really give that at least _one_ decent sized playthrough.

That would be pl_waste_b4. Although pl_waste final is out now...

Edit: pl_waste on the server has been updated to the newest version.

so zircon brought this up on the ocr tf2 irc chat (#ocrtf2 on etg) the other day... apparently valve bit down really hard on one of the dirty harry movies for the "meet the sniper" soundtrack, here's the theme from "magnum force" with the picture from day 1 of the sniper/spy pack:

and here's a "ripped" soundtrack version of meet the sniper (yes the filtering method didn't keep all of the talking out and does cause artifacts which i only noticed after grabbing the link):
. and now for a chopped up version of magnum force to sound like meet the sniper:

and last but not least, there's a gang garrison 2 chiptune version for

totally hilariously awesome imo! :)

Aww, it appears that I lost my admin. Guess that's half needed, and half my fault for not being on for a while. Now who will do bad jokes by giving out fake items on rare occasions, though? Also, wow, that was a lot of pages in very few days... I stop lurking here for a tiny bit because there hasn't been much new stuff, and bam, when I get on next I have to wade through thirteen pages...

I personally like hydro, but I feel like there are enough complaints that I should take it out for a little while - it will go back on the rotation at some point, but from what I can tell, it's like egypt, junction, and ctf_well in that people don't like the maps very much, so in order not to exhaust them too much I do some swapping in and out every now and then to keep them fresh.

If you have suggestions, feel free to suggest away!

cp_yukon_rc3. Cevo-P approved map, very well done, and very balanced.

Bring back hydro soon :(

totally fun! on a seperate note though...

i've been noticing since the change in the MOTD to say that micspam is allowed if everyone agrees on it that some people (regulars or not, i'm not trying to single anyone out here) will come on and start playing clips while people are talking, or while someone else is playing a clip during say, humiliation or pregame mayhem. i suggested to bahamut that the wording be changed more to the effect of "micspam allowed at admin discretion," and he replied stating that courtesy needs to emphasized. I also realize that "admin discretion" would play right into favouritism (such as brushfire getting away with playing stuff even when people say 'turn that crap off,' sorry bro but it's happened before), so maybe there should be some clear guidelines set down here, and a tl;dr version for the MOTD.

In the same vein, it is my personal opinion that none of the admins should do a client-side mute of anyone, because personal comfort shouldn't come before the server facilitating a fun place to play. Not trying to force that on any of the other admins and i've been quite tempted to client-mute guys myself... Just throwing it out there to see what other folks think.

i'd like to second re-adding db_heights to the rotation, because it's familiar but also different, strategies that worked for cp_dustbowl don't work nearly as well (both offense and defense), and the balance changes also keep the pacing fresh.

also yes now i need more sleep too :)

So Pavlvs let me know today that his server box will be ready soon for operation - how do you all think is the best way to handle the server switch, with the idea that the regulars who don't frequent the forums need to know of the IP change?

One suggestion I have for how to handle this is to to mention this in the MOTD, and to tell people to visit the forums to check for the new IP address when it happens. We will have 2 servers when this switch happens also (as well as an L4D server). The second server will be as promised a more community run server, with open access (through PMing me for server access info). Anyone caught abusing it such as changing the mapcycle without consulting various people, preferably in this thread, will have such access removed though.

Thoughts?

So...are we moving over to a new server? Or just having a second one? Your wording at first makes it sound like we're dropping the one we're currently on (hence the 'switch') and then you say that we're gonna have 2 servers.

So Pavlvs let me know today that his server box will be ready soon for operation - how do you all think is the best way to handle the server switch, with the idea that the regulars who don't frequent the forums need to know of the IP change?

One suggestion I have for how to handle this is to to mention this in the MOTD, and to tell people to visit the forums to check for the new IP address when it happens. We will have 2 servers when this switch happens also (as well as an L4D server). The second server will be as promised a more community run server, with open access (through PMing me for server access info). Anyone caught abusing it such as changing the mapcycle without consulting various people, preferably in this thread, will have such access removed though.

Thoughts?

Put the new server IP in the advertisements thing... maybe change how often the ads appear too, after the change.

Edit: On the subject of dbheights, there's a newer version of that as well. I'll upload it sometime soon.

Edit 2: pl_dbheights is now on the map list. It'll show up in the nominate menu on the next map change.

Edit 3: Whoops, pl_dbheights is the ORIGINAL (beta 1) version, uploading pl_dbheights_v3 now.

Edit 4: pl_dbheights_v3 is up on the server now. Released less than a day ago, too.