OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

So, pub TF2 is pretty much unplayable now in my opinion. Runs of all the popular maps (Goldbowl, Badwater, 2fort) of late bear that out pretty consistently. The 2 or 3 people (on average) on each side that talk are left to co-ordinate the team, more often than not weighed down by deathmatchers who blindly charge the objective or hang out in midfield collecting kills. Sacrifices to the Cult of the Engineer are at an all-time high.

It's just not fun, and to that end I'm out. If something different develops (like Rambo's scrim plans, or a password day(What the hell happened to event days, anyway?)) I'll be back; otherwise, see you all next update.

I actually was thinking about suggesting a passworded day with possibly more custom maps in the rotation for sometime soon - how do people think of this Friday for one? I'll take custom map suggestions as well.

Friday works for me.

Hm.... pl_frontier is always a winner in my book. And ctp_epsilon is a novel concept I'd like to try with a decent group of people.

Scouts have become rather frustrating as of late, I must admit. Not the scenario where the opposing scout is a good player, but when the opposing scout lands bonks and FaNs on you. I realize these two coincide occasionally, but it was really one of those nights where I just wanted to play vanilla TF2.

I've never muted someone myself and oh man Passworded server nights for the win >_>

I'm leaving a little message here by the way that I won't be on the server for a bit because I'm giving my girlfriend all of my attention and playin' some MMOs and old school Sega and Nintendo with her.

Incidentally my map is coming along now I'll post screenshots and whatnot when I have put the lighting into the map and fixed some holes in the walls lol

Also I'll leave it up to you guys to name it since I have nothing at the moment but CTF_TotalWar...

it's extremely loosely based on the Conker's Bad Fur Day map of the same name.

Scouts have become rather frustrating as of late, I must admit. Not the scenario where the opposing scout is a good player, but when the opposing scout lands bonks and FaNs on you. I realize these two coincide occasionally, but it was really one of those nights where I just wanted to play vanilla TF2.

A few months ago the Steam network went down for maintenance, and everyone lost their unlocks for several hours. Those were good times; I proposed 'Vanilla Day' as a bi-weekly event, but it never gained traction and was forgotten about.

So it goes.

A few months ago the Steam network went down for maintenance, and everyone lost their unlocks for several hours. Those were good times; I proposed 'Vanilla Day' as a bi-weekly event, but it never gained traction and was forgotten about.

So it goes.

I approve of Vanilla Day so that I don't have to deal with annoying scouts.

I approve of Vanilla Day so that I don't have to deal with annoying scouts.

Pssh, annoy you we will, yes...

Seriously, The Sandman is like the ONLY reason Scout is my third-most played class now.

As for password-only days, in the past, those haven't done so well.

Pssh, annoy you we will, yes...

Seriously, The Sandman is like the ONLY reason Scout is my third-most played class now.

As for password-only days, in the past, those haven't done so well.

Oh I honestly don't mind the Sandman. If a scout hits me with it fair game.

It's the FaN I have an issue with I HATE that gun so hard.

And as for Password-Only days the only reason they haven't worked out is due to misunderstandings people not knowing where to come for the password or not sure if they -count- as regulars.

Back. Again.

I missed a birthday party and some NeoTokyo, huh? Drat. I should just never leave my computer.

I think passwording the server every once in a while wouldn't be too bad. The problem is that it either is amazing and everyone joins and it's filled for a long time or no one joins.

@Clefairy (I think): I hear you. Pub TF2 (OCR excluded) is pretty terrible. I mean, it's fun for a while to just dominate the entire server but at the cost of your soul and your joy? Nah.

I will never, ever play medic on a vanilla day.

petition to remove dustbowl from the server for the rest of eternity

/sign

I checked my HLStatsX the other day and noticed that in the past 21 days (or however long that stat list is for), I've spent nearly 3 times the amount of time on Dustbowl than on any other map.

The next 4 are within 10 minutes of each other: turbine, goldrush, badwater, and steel.

petition to remove dustbowl from the server for the rest of eternity

Signed.

I will never, ever play medic on a vanilla day.

I'm sure bonzai is plenty capable. :P

In seriousness, it's good practice. Not getting hurt at all is a big step up in difficulty from getting hurt and leeching back to stay alive.

Signed.

I'm sure bonzai is plenty capable. :P

In seriousness, it's good practice. Not getting hurt at all is a big step up in difficulty from getting hurt and leeching back to stay alive.

Practice? And what motivation do those of us who play the game to have fun and not to "practice" have to play Vanilla days?

Practice? And what motivation do those of us who play the game to have fun and not to "practice" for scrims have?

Practice doesn't have to be a means to an end, ie, to get ready for a competition. You can think of it as a way to avoid those particularly frustrating deaths.

Consider the common scenario of being bumrushed by a pyro. Currently the standard response for a medic is to backpedal and fill his face with blut needles. That's not really an option with the default gun. You're forced to engage him, which I can assure you is something your average pyro is not accustomed to. Do this often enough, and you'll start to learn where and how to move to avoid being set on fire.

I don't think I need to explain the usefulness of such a skill to someone who mains spy. :wink:

Even if my argument does nothing for you, there's always playing it up for laughs. A full string of crit needles will kill an overhealed heavy; I've got one or two of those under my belt, and they're easily highlights of my 200-odd hours of play.

This didn't work. ]:

I haven't gone back and checked all your responses, but in particular what are your various Advanced Video Settings set to in TF2?

I'm wondering if something got set incorrectly in there.

Also, I'm sure this has already been said, but have you installed the latest video drivers?

Consider the common scenario of being bumrushed by a pyro. Currently the standard response for a medic is to backpedal and fill his face with blut needles. That's not really an option with the default gun. You're forced to engage him, which I can assure you is something your average pyro is not accustomed to. Do this often enough, and you'll start to learn where and how to move to avoid being set on fire.

How would you engage him any differently? Run into his flamethrower mussel?

...you'd do the exact same things, except you would not gain health from it. It shouldn't change a damn thing if you play medic well. The only difference is that you'll either die more, or play so conservatively that you never heal people on the front lines.

On top of this, the ubersaw adds a tactical element to the medic. He can make educated decisions to build an uber, instead of... clicking a target, and waiting to left click.

Really. Without unlocks, the medic is limited to completely relying on his teammates, and doing nothing but clicking one target.. or a few, per life.

How would you engage him any differently? Run into his flamethrower mussel?

Circle-strafe. Try it sometime.

Not gaining health is the entire point. It's a self-imposed challenge, and while you will die more often at the outset, eventually you'll get better and it won't be a problem. Then you'll go back to the blut and find out you're godly.

It's like the FaN versus the normal scattergun, but that's another subject entirely.

What you call tactics, I call opportunism. It's semantics, really, unless you're a truly dedicated battle medic(Hi Steve!).

The limits you speak of are entirely self-imposed, based on what you consider 'good play'. In general you're correct, but this game rewards aggression to a ridiculous degree. Being bold can and does pay off.

the medic unlocks were actually introduced into the game to make the medic not so boring-as-fuck

Except now, every single medic in the game uses the unlocks. Kritz excepted of course, that's a legitimate toss-up.

Boring-as-fuck wise, we're back to square one.