OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

I'm not sure I understand why self imposed limits are a good thing.

[arrogance]I mean, my Pyro's pretty good...but without the axtinguisher, it suffers pretty greatly. I imagine I'm still better than most Pyros, but the ax' is the thing that really shines in my Pyro. Playing without it is just...I dunno, pointless. Maybe not pointless, but a handicap that does nothing to benefit me, regardless of how long I played with it. [/arrogance] If I were a Pyro that played with the backburner regularly, vanilla day would help me realize that the airblast is too damn good to be ignored...but I'm not. Same with the flaregun. But people play with the items they want because they're what suits them the best; forcing people to play with items (especially when some items are clearly inferior, a la the medic's weapons) is just silly.

+1 vote to remove Dustbowl from rotation. If it's kept on the RTV list, we'll STILL play there more than almost any other map.

I'm not sure I understand why self imposed limits are a good thing.

There are two ways to get better at something. One, practice, preferably with people who are better at it than you. Given the relatively static nature of the community, you might have trouble pursuing this route.

Two, self-imposed limits. Let's use the medic as an example; imagine the level of skill required to succeed with, and then without the extra regen of the blut. Obviously without is higher, right? So if you obtain that level of skill, then add on the advantage of the regen, you come out way ahead.

This assumes, of course, that you actually want to get better. :P I like to see people improving, whether it's me or someone else. I'm simply describing what seems to me like a logical way to go about that.

As I said in the original Vanilla Day post however many pages ago, it's just a way to shake things up. Like playing custom maps. I understand some people don't want their game experience to change; that's their loss.

Hey.

If you have the ability to call for votebans, don't abuse that by trying to ban someone for USING A WEAPON YOU DON'T LIKE (i.e. HUNTSMAN).

I can't believe how childish some people are. Knock that crap off, right now.

fight me

i can voteban whomever i like. it's a wonderful thing since it really means nothing, since it takes usually 16 other people just to get a vote nominated. I was abusing nothing. Voteban is available to all players on the server, and I can use it to express my rage whenever I want. I usually do this with votecrits just as well. Am I getting in trouble because I don't like crits, so I votecrits to get them removed? I can vote to have a player removed just as well. As long as there's not little ! in front of it, I just look angry. And I take no offense by anyone doing it to me.

and i wasn't votebanning the weapon i was votebanning him because bodyshots are the most infuriating thing in the world and i will stick to that notion for the rest of my life and will continuously voteban everyone i can if they keep doing it over and over and over.

learn2admins

Well, this is kind of on a side note to all the drama, but I made cookies!

Offense!

offense.jpg

Defense! (the engie is SOOOO FATTY)

defense.jpg

Support! (the spy looks extra dumb. I also realized that the spy has the SKINNIEST feet in the world)

support.jpg

I also have a bunch of round cookies I'm going to frost too, but these cookies shouldn't have to wait to see the internet for those other cookies!

I cannot believe I missed this post my god those are amazing~

Circle-strafe. Try it sometime.

What kind of fucking terrible pyros do you have the luxury of playing against. All the pyros I've played against know that the shortest distance between 2 points is a line.

Regarding everything else, I'll I retract my previous statement. You SHOULDN'T use the blutsauger any differently that you would use the needlegun. I know I certainly don't needlessly put myself in harms way because I'm under the deranged influence that the blutsauger cures all troubles. It's primarily a defensive weapon. You shouldn't put yourself in a defensive position to use it. You will eventually be put in that position at someone else's hand. This is inevitable.

EDIT:

Two, self-imposed limits. Let's use the medic as an example; imagine the level of skill required to succeed with, and then without the extra regen of the blut. Obviously without is higher, right? So if you obtain that level of skill, then add on the advantage of the regen, you come out way ahead

This isn't always true, but I'll agree for the most part. An example I'll give is that if you were burning to death, and healing a target, you would simply keep healing that target until you died. Whereas if you had the blut, you could weigh your options and if the target you were healing was well off, you could double-team him and both survive potentially. Using a different weapon(in this case inferior) can sometimes cause bad habits. [anology] Running with weights on your back to make yourself faster and stronger when running without them, will give you terrible posture and strides.[/anology]

From your reasoning however, an all secondary weapon day, would be 10x more beneficial for people trying to get better. Thats usually what divides n00bs from vets.

Except now, every single medic in the game uses the unlocks.

yeah because using the original weapons is still boring as fuck

I'm not sure what super pro medics you chuckleheads were playing against at the beginning of the game but I'm pretty sure when there weren't any unlocks the Medic was limited to a) healing or B) being dead

All the pyros I've played against know that the shortest distance between 2 points is a line.

That was a bad description and I apologize for posting it. Oval-strafing would be more accurate; the goal is to get out of the pyro's field of vision. The quickest path to that position is often forward at a slight angle, which is basically what I was getting at. It's the exact opposite of what he expects to happen, which gives you a momentary advantage. Depending on the situation, such as your health, teammates in the area, what they're doing, etc., that can be enough.

I'm just not a fan of doing things the same way every time. A culture of "situation A elicits response B", as online games tend to develop, makes the experience stale in my opinion. Case in point; Engineers on a stock map. Buildings go in the same handful of places, almost without fail. New ideas and approaches, even if they don't work, are essential to progress.

--

I disagree, Bleck. Seeing every single medic with the same guns is what bores me; I won't deny, they seem rather plain in comparison, and with any luck they'll address that someday. A suggestion I once heard and liked was the needlegun increasing charge speed slightly.

Also, the game was a weird place at release. Fire was actually disorienting, nobody spychecked, the list goes on. There's so much crap you can't get away with now, just because everyone's wised up.

A suggestion I once heard and liked was the needlegun increasing charge speed slightly.

Another one I heard I thought was neato would be for regular needles to put a jarate-like debuff on targets(just for the minicrits). For balance, its duration would only be about as long as the time between two shots so you need to be nailing the guy constantly.

Team not in immediate mortal danger? Dictate which target will die next with the needlegun! Just an idea.

EDIT:

Also, the medic's needles shouldn't minicrit unless the guy is also covered in piss.

fight me

i can voteban whomever i like. it's a wonderful thing since it really means nothing, since it takes usually 16 other people just to get a vote nominated. I was abusing nothing. Voteban is available to all players on the server, and I can use it to express my rage whenever I want. I usually do this with votecrits just as well. Am I getting in trouble because I don't like crits, so I votecrits to get them removed? I can vote to have a player removed just as well. As long as there's not little ! in front of it, I just look angry. And I take no offense by anyone doing it to me.

and i wasn't votebanning the weapon i was votebanning him because bodyshots are the most infuriating thing in the world and i will stick to that notion for the rest of my life and will continuously voteban everyone i can if they keep doing it over and over and over.

learn2admins

Stop being a whiny crybaby bodyshot cryfag. God, you people are stupid.

Stop being a whiny crybaby bodyshot cryfag. God, you people are stupid.

stop liking toyfort. it is terrible

also your facebook picture makes you look fat and scary.

ahahaha your myspace is hilarious

things just never seem to work out the way i want it to i guess i just don't deserve it

/wrists

that might have taken it too far but yeah

(do you get what i am doing here i am using a logical fallacy ironically)

Ok, so here's the current mapcycle:

ctf_2fort

cp_granary

cp_yukon_rc3

pl_badwater

cp_egypt_final

cp_fastlane

ctf_turbine

cp_steel

pl_goldrush

cp_gravelpit

ctf_well

cp_dustbowl

cp_badlands

I want some good suggestions - think long and hard, since I may not get many good chances to change the rotation for almost a month because I'll be traveling a good deal from Baltimore & NY. Powerlord could always make changes to the rotation if needbe I guess, or Fireslash too.

So, suggestions?

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you can use The Sandman's taunt kill while under the influence of Bonk energy drink? Why has no one mentioned this before?!

I can already think of tons of uses for this, like on Red Dustbowl Part 1, Point A.

*changed Pistol out for Bonk*

I haven't gone back and checked all your responses, but in particular what are your various Advanced Video Settings set to in TF2?

I'm wondering if something got set incorrectly in there.

Also, I'm sure this has already been said, but have you installed the latest video drivers?

I believe I have, but I could be wrong, I'm not exactly sure how it all works. My graphics card (according to my system settings) is ATI Radeon X1250.

My advanced video settings are set to the recommended settings. I tried just setting everything to highest, and fire/medibeams still don't show up.

I believe I have, but I could be wrong, I'm not exactly sure how it all works. My graphics card (according to my system settings) is ATI Radeon X1250.

My advanced video settings are set to the recommended settings. I tried just setting everything to highest, and fire/medibeams still don't show up.

I was actually going to suggest lowering them, particularly the High Dynamic Range setting.

Still, if all else fails, upgrading the drivers couldn't hurt.

AMD considers all the xWhatever cards to be "legacy" now. They have driver pages for Legacy products for XP 32-bit, XP 64-bit, XP Media Center, Vista 32-bit, and Vista 64-bit. These drivers were all updated earlier this week.