OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

When on defense, you use the flamethrower if you want to win. Otherwise it's more of an actual choice.

When a friendly sentry is around, blowing stickies and neutralizing ubers are infinitely more important than sometimes killing faster. That is assuming you actually want to help your team win. If you're just solo point-whoring, the backburner is probably more effective.

I used to use the BB on payload maps when I knew I could get behind the cart easily. I don't even do that anymore because one semi-aware soldier will stomp ya. Plus the amount of pussyfootin' around for the perfect ambush is usually a big waste of time.

Oh, and poofing out fires is AWESOME. I do it constantly and get thanked all the time. Saving a medic and his uber is another game-winning maneuver.

I'll now say "this is all my opinion" before someone whines.

@ atmuh: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17376&highlight=backburner&page=417

Apologies. Was off a smidge when I said 25 pages. And yes, you're right. No one has ever said exactly what you said with those same words, but this has all been covered before.

Sorry to those of you BB pyros who are defensive about your ability to Pyro. No one's doubting that you can M1 like a mother, just that maybe you might be doing a little more good if you M2ed occasionally.

[Edit:]

And it still surprises me, and makes me laugh, when people refer to the airblast as 'poofing.'

Spy sappin' mah weekend!

--

Looks like you've all been busy. :-P And a suggestion I made was implemented!?

This shatters my entire worldview. 8-O

Eh... I don't have a lot to say on BB vs. AB. It is the fault of the victim for not checking their back; there are fully three classes (Scout, Spy, Pyro) that use flanking as a primary tactic, and every other class is capable of using it to enormous effect. But TF2 is a bright and colorful game, I think keeping people focused on the objective to leave them exposed to that was a significant design choice on Valve's part.

As to the weapons themselves, it comes down to what you want. Relatively boring utility or the chance to go on ridiculous killing sprees. I'm a whore for utility, myself; ergo I use the flamethrower.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant to talk about this.

So, here's what I'm thinking about scrims. Every Wednesday and Saturday night I can be online, I'll check in with people around 7 or 8 EST to gauge interest. If there's enough, we'll pop on over to the ZUZ server and get started between 8 and 9. I see FireSlash has re-installed TF2 on his server, so I'm thinking we can use that as a backup. I haven't talked to him about that yet, so nothing's set in stone; I'll come back and update when I have more info.

As to the weapons themselves, it comes down to what you want. Relatively boring utility or the chance to go on ridiculous killing sprees. I'm a whore for utility, myself; ergo I use the flamethrower.

I like going on ridiculous killing spreeds; ergo I use... the Butterfly Knife.

Wait, did you think I was referring to Pyro?

Atmuh, your novel length reasons for hating the backburner are kinda shortsided. You gotta take into account anyone who knows what they are doing are gonna win regardless of the situation.

So please, keep your post to novella length from now on, kay hon?

But seriously, skillfire for me is getting behind someone and giving them the old Back Burn.

RAR!!!

well obviously if you dont USE the poofer, the backburner is better, but youd be terrible

I love how all of atmuh's rants about the backburner consist of "well, if this person is good, blah blah". Fact is, most people are not "this good". And thats why I excel. Fact.

yeah seriously did you even read it

And it still surprises me, and makes me laugh, when people refer to the airblast as 'poofing.'

its adorable looking and poofing is an adorable term

I'm actually thinking that they could give the BB a small health bonus and it would be fine. Not 50, as that's crazy (seriously, I got 50 points in a single life once), but 25 or so would make it a more viable choice.

I'm actually thinking that they could give the BB a small health bonus and it would be fine. Not 50, as that's crazy (seriously, I got 50 points in a single life once), but 25 or so would make it a more viable choice.

not sure if a health bonus is the best idea but yeah they really need to do something to it

It's tough to tell when you get into adding health. The biggest issue with the original BB was not a max health of 225. It was the overheal to 335. You'd still be giving medic pyro pair's 300hp to work with. That would be fine, if the pyro wasn't as fast as he is.

Alternatively, a pyro with 225hp that can't be overhealed would be kinda cool...

Well adding on 25 health points wouldn't really buff the overheal THAT much, since the overheal only gives an extra 50%.

So, the difference between a pyro right now, completely overhealed, and a pyro with the hypothetical BB +25 health buff, completely overhealed, would only be 37.5 hitpoints.

Although, it would make axtinguishing someone a lot, LOT easier....but then again, most people who axtinguish use the airblast, and most people don't axtinguish to begin with.

As soon as pyros start axtinguishing, Valve will have to realize the pyro's busted. Valve continues to give updates to the class when it doesn't need it: it just needs to be played properly.

(in b4 'you're a hypocrit for suggesting updates and then saying it doesn't need it')

Well, just a quick thing about BB:

People always talk about how it's useless because any good player always checks their flank and blah blah blah, but really, besides regulars, how many consistently good players do you encounter? We get a lot of pubs on OCR, which means I'm able to pull off stuff like backburning three medics clumped together behind a single heavy in the matter of one second.

I don't use Back Burner all the time because it's really a situational weapon, but when the situation is "the other team has crappy medics and I can flank them over and over again," you can bet that I'm going to use Back Burner.

Plus I love the sound of stuttering crits.

Well, just a quick thing about BB:

People always talk about how it's useless because any good player always checks their flank and blah blah blah, but really, besides regulars, how many consistently good players do you encounter? We get a lot of pubs on OCR, which means I'm able to pull off stuff like backburning three medics clumped together behind a single heavy in the matter of one second.

I don't use Back Burner all the time because it's really a situational weapon, but when the situation is "the other team has crappy medics and I can flank them over and over again," you can bet that I'm going to use Back Burner.

Plus I love the sound of stuttering crits.

yes i can agree with that, but the people i play with tend to be better than the people i find on the ocr server

oh yeah speaking of that you guys are welcomed to play on my server if you wanna play tf2 with micspam

I was going to update some maps tonight that have new versions, but it turns out that fpsbanana is down, and certain maps with new versions (coughpl_dbheightscough) don't have them accessible anywhere else without needing some u/p bullshit.

pl_cashworks was updated to rc2. I *highly* suggest you download this in advance, as cashworks is huge (41.1MB compressed).

Also, just to churn things up a bit, I implemented the mapcycle Clefairy suggested a few pages back.

Yup, new mapcycle.

Is there a new mapcycle or something?

Yesterday it felt like the only maps were 5 CPs and payloads.

Current mapcycle is:

ctf_hallofdeath

pl_frontier

cp_gravelpit

cp_fastlane

plr_pipeline

cp_steel

ctf_turbine

pl_hoodoo_final

cp_furnace_b3

cp_granary

pl_waste

arena_well

cp_egypt_final

Total: 13 maps; 4xPL (counting pipeline and waste); 2x5CP (not counting Steel, as it's not a traditional 5CP)

The actual breakdown is 1xArena, 4xCP (assault), 2xCP (symmetric), 2xCTF, 2xPL, 1xPL (symmetric), 1xPLR

For the record, the old mapcycle was:

cp_dustbowl

cp_granary

ctf_turbine

pl_badwater

arena_sawmill

cp_follower

cp_steel

pl_goldrush

ctf_2fort

cp_gravelpit

cp_well

pl_waste

cp_badlands

Total: 13 maps; 3xPL (counting waste); 4x5CP (not counting Steel, as it's not a traditional 5CP)

The actual breakdown is 1xArena, 3xCP (assault), 4xCP (symmetric), 2xCTF, 2xPL, 1xPL (symmetric)

As you can see, there is one more PL map and two less 5CP maps in the current mapcycle than in the old mapcycle.

Sticky camping has been an issue since day one. I want it to be resolved. 3 weeks ago bahamut ruled that only sticky camping opaque spawn doors isn't allowed. Since then, I've told people the same, and enforced the same. The MOTD says differently, and pubs and reserve slot holders alike have called me out on it. The rule changes every week, but I'd like what I'm saying and what the Server Rules consist of to be the same.

More difficult is "messing around".

When half the server wants to mess around, and the other half wants to play, how is one supposed to admin. There are regulars on both sides of the issue, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. When there are 6 heavies on Red only punching, and everyone on Blue is playing normally, the other 6 players on Red are going to complain and/or leave. If the whole server unanimously decides to "mess around" it's obviously not an issue. But when it's a few (and often regulars), people start to complain directly to me to do something about it. When is it considered griefing.