OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

This reminds me: Did the custom achievements just fall through or something?

There are currently 3 unfinished achievement plugins out there. One is in French, and the other two are buggy like atmuh said. I'm waiting on one to come out that works before I start it up. I still have my master list of achievements though, and feel free to keep suggesting more.

Random tangent/rant incoming:

I can tell that you guys think I'm a good Spy just from your reactions most of the time. But...Paranoid God? Seriously? I'm not that good, am I? o_O

My lack of comma use in game finally bites me in the ass.

Random tangent/rant incoming:

I can tell that you guys think I'm a good Spy just from your reactions most of the time. But...Paranoid God? Seriously? I'm not that good, am I? o_O

youre pretty good at spy but really spy is just getting lucky and captializing on it and the difference between bad spies and good ones are how well they capitalize on getting lucky or someone on the opposing team making a really poor decision (i am bad at it)

with all your spy experience i think you should give scout a try for a while

youll probably do really well once you get the hang of it

im probably bad at it because if i combine my time played before and after i reset my stats (im not 100% sure of my numbers before the reset i should have saved them) spy is probably my least played class

heavy and engineer are also way down there and demo was my least but ive been playing a lot of it lately

so what are your least played classes

youre pretty good at spy but really spy is just getting lucky and captializing on it and the difference between bad spies and good ones are how well they capitalize on getting lucky or someone on the opposing team making a really poor decision (i am bad at it)

with all your spy experience i think you should give scout a try for a while

youll probably do really well once you get the hang of it

im probably bad at it because if i combine my time played before and after i reset my stats (im not 100% sure of my numbers before the reset i should have saved them) spy is probably my least played class

heavy and engineer are also way down there and demo was my least but ive been playing a lot of it lately

so what are your least played classes

First paragraph is truth. One of the reasons I can hardly ever backstab Frogg or Miyako is that they check behind them CONSTANTLY. Even when under fire.

Oddly enough, I suck ass as Scout. I'm reasonably sure it's because I'm simply not used to his playstyle, but I seem to be incapable of landing the quick kills that I know he's capable of. More than once I've tried going toe to toe with another Scout or even a Spy and died while seeing them walk away with > 50% health in the killcam. He's almost too fast for me, if you know what I mean. (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

EDIT: OH! Another reason I fail as Scout: Playing as Spy for so long has me stuck in a mindset that I absolutely positively cannot be seen before I make my move, otherwise I lose the element of surprise and am therefore useless. For Spy, this is pretty accurate, but it doesn't really apply to any other class. I think one of the reasons I like going Medic when I can't/don't want to go Spy is because he's not expected to wade into combat, so it doesn't matter if I'm being stealthy. (His self-regen and Blutsauger also make self defense and survival a lot easier.) On a related note, having to resign myself to the respawn room whenever I'm forced to defend myself tends to make me retreat whenever I'm under fire as any other class, even Soldier. Needless to say, this is not how Soldiers are supposed to act. >_<

As for your last question, Sniper's my least played. I want to get better just so I can clam I'm good at both classes capable of one hit kills, but the Huntsman's a projectile and therefore unreliable, and I can't hit a moving target with the Rifle for beans. (I think I've gotten more noscopes and Kukri kills than proper headshots.) Following that, Scout and Heavy are second and third least, IIRC.

First paragraph is truth. One of the reasons I can hardly ever backstab Frogg or Miyako is that they check behind them CONSTANTLY. Even when under fire.

In general, OCR's regulars are extremely paranoid (no pun intended).

If you don't believe me, go play on a random pub server. You'll find backstabs a LOT easier there.

Frogg also has this uncanny ability to do an instant 180 turn... usually at the exact moment I'm doing a backstab.

Oddly enough, I suck ass as Scout. I'm reasonably sure it's because I'm simply not used to his playstyle, but I seem to be incapable of landing the quick kills that I know he's capable of. More than once I've tried going toe to toe with another Scout or even a Spy and died while seeing them walk away with > 50% health in the killcam. He's almost too fast for me, if you know what I mean. (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

EDIT: OH! Another reason I fail as Scout: Playing as Spy for so long has me stuck in a mindset that I absolutely positively cannot be seen before I make my move, otherwise I lose the element of surprise and am therefore useless. For Spy, this is pretty accurate, but it doesn't really apply to any other class. I think one of the reasons I like going Medic when I can't/don't want to go Spy is because he's not expected to wade into combat, so it doesn't matter if I'm being stealthy. (His self-regen and Blutsauger also make self defense and survival a lot easier.) On a related note, having to resign myself to the respawn room whenever I'm forced to defend myself tends to make me retreat whenever I'm under fire as any other class, even Soldier. Needless to say, this is not how Soldiers are supposed to act. >_<

Waaait, I thought you used the Dead Ringer. Seeing as how you HAVE to get spotted by the enemy* to use the Dead Ringer, clearly there's something to that.

I'm a terrible shot with the Scout's primary weapon... I'm still not used to the "get up in the face of the enemy" bit, particularly since that tactic only works as a frontal assault against Scout, Demoman, Engineer (not near his sentry), Sniper, and Spy. Scout also has to deal with the decision of whether the Sandman and its stun ball are worth -30HP. That loss might not sound like much, but it makes a difference in how many shots you can survive of the miniguns, needle guns, scattergun, pipe and sticky bombs, and how far a non-headshot sniper bullet has to be charged to kill you.

*Or take damage by jumping off something.

As for your last question, Sniper's my least played. I want to get better just so I can clam I'm good at both classes capable of one hit kills, but the Huntsman's a projectile and therefore unreliable, and I can't hit a moving target with the Rifle for beans. (I think I've gotten more noscopes and Kukri kills than proper headshots.) Following that, Scout and Heavy are second and third least, IIRC.

As strange as it sounds, I've been playing Sniper more recently, particularly with the Huntsman. The Huntsman's headshots are considerably more random than the sniper rifle's, but if you're not that good a shot with the rifle...

That and they can also be done without the enemy seeing the telltale colored dot of the sniper scope. The drawback is that the Huntsman cannot be fired instantly, making it much less effective than the non-scoped sniper rifle for close range combat (if you've opted not to carry the SMG).

Of course, you may need to be closer to the target to do this...

My least played classes are Demoman and Heavy, and will always remain that way, because:

1. Demo's pipe bomb launcher is my worst weapon.

2. I can't stand how slow the Heavy moves, particularly when he has his minigun spinning.

In general, OCR's regulars are extremely paranoid (no pun intended).

If you don't believe me, go play on a random pub server. You'll find backstabs a LOT easier there.

Frogg also has this uncanny ability to do an instant 180 turn... usually at the exact moment I'm doing a backstab.

At the risk of inflating my ego, I'm reasonably sure I'm the reason they're so paranoid. One of the ways I can tell someone's new to the server is how often they check behind them.

I have also fallen victim to the Revolving Frogg.

Waaait, I thought you used the Dead Ringer. Seeing as how you HAVE to get spotted by the enemy* to use the Dead Ringer, clearly there's something to that.

I'm a terrible shot with the Scout's primary weapon... I'm still not used to the "get up in the face of the enemy" bit, particularly since that tactic only works as a frontal assault against Scout, Demoman, Engineer (not near his sentry), Sniper, and Spy. Scout also has to deal with the decision of whether the Sandman and its stun ball are worth -30HP. That loss might not sound like much, but it makes a difference in how many shots you can survive of the miniguns, needle guns, scattergun, pipe and sticky bombs, and how far a non-headshot sniper bullet has to be charged to kill you.

*Or take damage by jumping off something.

First, I use all three watches. Second, the Dead Ringer is the exception. I know full well how loud it is, so I've given up on being stealthy with it. (Still crossing my fingers for a patch that will tweak it more in that direction.) 90% damage reduction goes a long way towards ensuring my survival in a pinch, so I let myself be more bold. If you spectate me while I'm using it though, you'll find it's almost always at the ready unless I'm preparing for an attack. Even then, I usually opt for the road less traveled to minimize the chance of encountering someone. Hardly anyone goes through the water on Well, for instance.

EDIT: In the event that I get seen, using the Dead Ringer essentially resets the situation with regard to our knowledge of each other's location. They know I'm around, but they don't know where I am.

I'm fully aware of how vulnerable the Sandman makes the Scout. I can instantly kill them with the Ambassador, for instance.

As strange as it sounds, I've been playing Sniper more recently, particularly with the Huntsman. The Huntsman's headshots are considerably more random than the sniper rifle's, but if you're not that good a shot with the rifle...

That and they can also be done without the enemy seeing the telltale colored dot of the sniper scope. The drawback is that the Huntsman cannot be fired instantly, making it much less effective than the non-scoped sniper rifle for close range combat (if you've opted not to carry the SMG).

Of course, you may need to be closer to the target to do this...

My least played classes are Demoman and Heavy, and will always remain that way, because:

1. Demo's pipe bomb launcher is my worst weapon.

2. I can't stand how slow the Heavy moves, particularly when he has his minigun spinning.

I don't know why, but I simply cannot headshot consistently with the Sniper, no matter which weapon I choose. How this is the case when I've pulled off more than a few miracle headshots with the Ambassador is beyond me, but it's true.

youre probably just bad at scout because you try it for a map say man i suck and never try it again

its a class that takes a lot of time getting used to and id say the class that definitely has the widest margin between those who are experienced and inexperienced with it

Headshots aren't really random with it (though I've seen heavies with fully charged arrows in their heads who are still walking around), but they're kind of hard to pull off regularly since you have to not only lead your shot but account for the small amount the arrow drops over a distance. I only play Huntsman sniper most of the time and it still gives me some trouble. I actually find that half of playing the Huntsman well is firing a lot of shots and having a good sense of where people will be before they get there. Chokepoints also help, and if you're defense on a payload map and the other team is pushing the cart then it's practically like a buffet.

Actually, I've played so much Huntsman sniper that I have to make a conscious effort to not lead my shots with the rifle, which pretty much means I can't use it anymore. I'd probably need a few hours of practice to break the habit, but since I like the mobility you get with the Huntsman more I'm not going to bother.

The longer you'll play the more used to leading your shots at close range you'll get. Granted, you really only get one. If you miss it's usually time to whip out the knife and charge in like a maniac, which really sucks if it's a Pyro coming at you and you're already on fire.

youre probably just bad at scout because you try it for a map say man i suck and never try it again

its a class that takes a lot of time getting used to and id say the class that definitely has the widest margin between those who are experienced and inexperienced with it

I actually did pretty much the exact same thing with Spy until I forced myself to stay Spy for a whole round of 2Fort. But I have no real motivation to get good with Scout. -_-

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet: http://dagobah.biz/flash/Spy_and_Scouts_Mum_get_hitched.swf

Be prepared to lolwat

:3

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

That's worse than the one where Scout barged in on Spy doing a striptease for the enemy Engineer to the tune of "I Touch Myself."

spy doesnt capitalize on luck it capitalizes on scenarios where the enemy team is either dumb enough to not spycheck/hear you uncloak or distracted on the frontlines where they are too busy fighting to check their backs.

a bad spy will go in for the kill and not account for what will happen after he makes the stab. a good spy will always account for this and so will not take a chance when he cant predict what will happen and where the enemy will be positioned after the kill. this way a good spy lives longer and is able to find more situations where he can make stabs whereas the bad spy is left respawning and having to go past the front line again which takes very long

and one more thing a good spy looks for is a place he can retreat to and ready for another stab. this is usually a place with height because although competent players check their backs and look around them they dont nearly as often look above them when traveling to the front lines.

spy doesnt capitalize on luck it capitalizes on scenarios where the enemy team is either dumb enough to not spycheck/hear you uncloak or distracted on the frontlines where they are too busy fighting to check their backs.

a bad spy will go in for the kill and not account for what will happen after he makes the stab. a good spy will always account for this and so will not take a chance when he cant predict what will happen and where the enemy will be positioned after the kill. this way a good spy lives longer and is able to find more situations where he can make stabs whereas the bad spy is left respawning and having to go past the front line again which takes very long

and one more thing a good spy looks for is a place he can retreat to and ready for another stab. this is usually a place with height because although competent players check their backs and look around them they dont nearly as often look above them when traveling to the front lines.

Exception: Medics. Always worth a suicide stab. Bonus points if they have full or mostly full Uber.

Also you and Frogg depending on how vengeful I feel. <_<