OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

The machine our servers are hosted on appears to be down. I also blew away the configuration on my test server, so I can't really bring that up either (I was going to redo the config from scratch but got mad when I realized that TF2 *has* no default configuration and never created a config).

Also, new TF2 update today:

- Fixed grounded players receiving falling damage from Force-A-Nature shots directly above them

- Fixed the Force-A-Nature firing fewer pellets when tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads was 1

- Updated the achievement icon for the "May I Cut In?" Spy achievement to match the achievement description

1) Crits

2) Shotguns should NOT be expected to connect at all from range. Like, period.

1. turn off crits! :D

2. depends on what you mean by range. damage falloff and pellet spread severely limit the amount of damage shotty can do at long-mid range (that is unless you get a particularly clumped up spread which won't happen with a standard one). if you want to take that away you may as well take away the shotgun and have melee as secondary.

Turning on nonrandom spread for scooterguns and shotguns won't make them any more powerful, it will just remove what is possibly the largest element of luck in the game.

I've stood directly beside a person and done ten damage with a scattergun shot. I've seen someone hit me for ninety damage from about fifteen feet away with it. There's no reason for that degree of randomization in the spread and damage structure of any weapon.

I'm just thinking, with the non-random pellet spread, someone could have a very good guess where each pellet could land, so they could shoot at it from a distance (btw, I'm talking like mid-long), and have a pellet hit someone. Sure, the pellet is going to barely dink the target for a few HP, but that could mean the difference between life and death. I can't count the number of times I managed to scramble out of a warzone with less than 10 health.

In unrelated things, YEAH TOAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avU5onrWfYo

I'm just thinking, with the non-random pellet spread, someone could have a very good guess where each pellet could land, so they could shoot at it from a distance (btw, I'm talking like mid-long), and have a pellet hit someone.

So you're saying that making it so that a person can have the ability to aim a gun and have a bullet actually go where he wants it is somehow unfair?

The servers aren't appearing on my favorites list, which could just be my network acting up now that I've moved back into the dorm, but Frogg says he can't see them either. Are they down or something?

the servers are down and pav is having trouble with them right now

from my own experience owning a server this is the time that id HATE it because whenever something goes wrong EVERYONE bothers you about it so my advice is to leave him be and he'll fix it (im sure hes working hard and will have them back up asap)

in the meantime go pubbin (you can even play with me on micspam severs!)

its fun

in the meantime go pubbin (you can even play with me on micspam severs!)

this is not true i tried to play with him but atmuh just sits on idle server all day

so why would valve make that comment about snipers in regards to the heavy's shotgun

they say snipers are more dangerous for a heavy wielding a minigun

this does not mean that a shotgun-wielding heavy can kill a sniper from afar, it means that a shotgun-wielding heavy is less likely to be hangin around shooting his minigun, making him a sitting duck for snipers

given that we play on a (usually) extremely casual server, i don't see the reason for the change. crits are almost always on anyway, which is a far bigger random factor. i like randomness because i am not good but still like killing people.

no they say that because the shotgun can give the heavy the opportunity to shoot at the sniper from afar, not really with the intent of killing him, but instead being able to hit him because if youre sniping and you get hit your screen shakes for a second which makes it a lot more difficult to hit people for that instant

no they say that because the shotgun can give the heavy the opportunity to shoot at the sniper from afar, not really with the intent of killing him, but instead being able to hit him because if youre sniping and you get hit your screen shakes for a second which makes it a lot more difficult to hit people for that instant

no you are incorrect and you can do that more effectively with the minigun anyway

heavy isnt supposed to kill sniper from afar, just survive long enough to get close (same with most classes, for that matter)

using shotgun allows heavy to kill people in an area with snipers without laying over and saying "HEY SNIPER I AM BARELY MOVING KILL ME NOW"

no you are incorrect and you can do that more effectively with the minigun anyway

no you cant itll hit the same around and you wont be moving

heavy isnt supposed to kill sniper from afar, just survive long enough to get close (same with most classes, for that matter)

did you read my last post

i said hes not

using shotgun allows heavy to kill people in an area with snipers without laying over and saying "HEY SNIPER I AM BARELY MOVING KILL ME NOW"

yes and it also gives you the option to throw a couple bullets his way too

i don't understand why shotguns 'aren't supposed to be that accurate'

you can still hit reasonably well with the random spread on (pretty much every shot) mid-long range. doing 5 dmg to someone isn't going to be devastating or break the game

and in short eulogic is wrong atmuh is right

Most of my shotgun experience comes from being a Pyro. Typically in a more open situation, I set people on fire, whip out the shotgun, and go for kills that way. I've cought many people running away that way, so shotguns do have some worth at mid to long range if the enemy is already weak, there's no question of that. One just shouldn't expect to beat a high-health sniper that way.

As for this non-random shotgun spread thing we're talking about, I'm not too keen on it simply because that's not how a shotgun works. The whole concept of a shotgun is that you point it in the direction of somebody you want to hurt and hope that some pellets hit them. The only guarantees come from whether or not the spread is tight, which of course becomes more of an issue at longer ranges. This translates very well to video game balancing and I don't really see any reason to change it.

... though if we were going to, would it mean that the pattern would be exactly the same every time? Or would there still be some degree in randomness where there'd be a few different patterns it would choose between?