OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Hmm, think they might be hinting at ranged sappers?

I don't really think so, Dhsu, the "Meet the..." videos seem to be much more like entertainment before gameplay (like the scout's insane speed), but it might be so.

On another note, I don't know how other people feel but I think that goldrush and dustbowl are played far too often, it seems today that every other map has been one or the other and it drives some fairly regular players to spec the entire map or leave until the map changes entirely. On top of that, the server fills up with some of the either newest players or most retarded, pyros that walk around shooting flares or shotgun instead of checking for spies, entire teams of spies and engineers, and a general lack of coordination for the team that doesn't have either A) the most regulars, or B) the best of the regulars. Granted, we get those kinds of people on every map, but I think it'd be nice if we could remove Dustbowl and Goldrush from the rotation for a while. There are a LOT of maps on the server that we never get to play because every map vote seems to go straight back to either of those two.

I would like to make a case for removing Dustbowl and/or Goldrush from the rotation.

Yes, I know. They're great maps. Too great, in my opinion, which is why I feel they should be culled.

Goldbowl, as is the common term, does not attract what I would call 'quality players'. I have no empirical data on this, which is unfortunate; just the vague feelings I've gotten as a result of playing on the server a while. Do these maps fill the place to capacity? Absolutely. Are the players filling the slots well-mannered, gracious in victory and defeat, and just fun to play with and be around? In my experience, no.

I know the people who can't or don't play every night enjoy these maps, which is a big part of why we play them so often. If they want to rtv, that's a great idea and I absolutely support their decision to do it. Under such a system, I can see us still playing the two maps once or twice a day; every other day at the absolute least. They really are that popular, and I'd be okay with that.

I'm just concerned, getting right down to it. Perhaps this is only me, but I'm sensing the tf2 experience growing rather stale lately. We play the same maps over and over, and it seems the strategies we employ are nearly set in stone. I've seen many a new engineer get berated by his team for not knowing the 'correct' spot to place his sentry.

For me, at least, there's a huge rush to be had in loading up a new map and exploring it alongside a bunch of people I know and get along with, mostly anyway. Sure, sometimes you get a dud (like cp_cyberpunk, which should be scoured from the Internet, but that's another post), but more often than not the maps are at least playable. And sometimes we find one that absolutely nails it, like Cashworks does for a lot of people. That simply wouldn't happen if we stuck to Goldbowl all the time.

Thanks for reading. :tomatoface:

I could change the map rotation if people want...

But the reason dustbowl & goldrush come up more often is because by and large people seem to love those maps and want them more often than many of the other not so great maps, which tend to get frustration reached a lot earlier.

This reminds me a lot of when people whine about teams being uneven in terms of skill. My response is, almost invariably, "The teams are fine. The strategy is not."

Which is basically true. While there are times when one team very clearly outmatches the other, most of our steamrolls, red or blue, happen because one side has a plan and works together to achieve it; the other side, naturally, consists of a bunch of soloists who seem to think they're playing with bots. They go off and do their own thing, not even acknowledging their teammates exist, much less working with them. If there are people dedicated to actually using teamwork, they're severely handicapped by the soloists, and their team gets rolled over.

I believe the same issue is present here. Map quality isn't so much the problem that leads to frustration.

I don't really think so, Dhsu, the "Meet the..." videos seem to be much more like entertainment before gameplay (like the scout's insane speed), but it might be so.

Oh garian. How silly of you! Perhaps we had been blind to the "meet the scout" video containing a clue towards the scout unlocks. Bonk energy drink? Dodging sentry fire? :razz:

Clefairy, you're making a case for Goldrush and Dustbowl to get the axe? Have you somehow forgot about 2fort?

And wow about the Spy update. I leave my computer for 24 hours and Valve drops some crazy bombshell.

Clefairy, you're making a case for Goldrush and Dustbowl to get the axe? Have you somehow forgot about 2fort?

And wow about the Spy update. I leave my computer for 24 hours and Valve drops some crazy bombshell.

While 2fort suffers from a lot of the same problems, we don't play it all the freaking time. Fairly often, yeah, but not every-other-map often like we do with Goldbowl. Small steps, Sensai. :P

In a rare community sighting, the esteemed Mr. Baranowski joined us for a few rounds of Well/Badwater tonight. He was in good spirits, and it sounds as though he's doing well for himself. He slipped in a mention of Super Meat Boy, which I had completely forgotten about.

I'd wager he'll be back from time to time. He asked about who plays that he would know; he seemed disappointed you weren't inundating us with phat beats over micspam, DarkeSword. :<

I dunno how to play music over the mic. Sometimes I beatbox though.

Darn it, I was gonna come in too and start blasting Blue Skies over Guardia when I saw DS was in the server, but I was with the woman.

Speaking of which, I've had incredibly mixed results on my idea of playing OCR tunes after matches end and during setup time. Some people enjoy it, and others are like, "Is that necessary?" Frankly, since it's an OCR server, I think it's a good idea, but I can understand why people wouldn't want it playing during gameplay.

Thoughts?

I love the music before and after the round -- especially during friendly-fire time. Keep it up!

I would like to make another case to try Warpath. I think Warpath2 might be my favorite version. It's a great map for large groups (24) but would be awful for anything less than 16. THAT map takes a lot of teamwork and coordination to win, and every class is equally valuable.

Eww, 2Fort is the worst. At least I have fun on dustbowl/goldrush at least half the time I'm playing.

I love the music before and after the round -- especially during friendly-fire time. Keep it up!

Yaay, I feel validated. If anyone has any requests of OCR tunes or other songs by OCR artists, PM me and I'll add it to my library if I think it'd be a good addition. I'm already at 23 so far.

So I have a special map rotation I want to propose for tomorrow (day before sniper/spy update, go figure). I will tweak the map rotation tomorrow for the update to include the new maps as well for Thursday.

cp_piratelife_b4

pl_badwater

ctf_casbah3_b4

arena_dailydozen_a2

cp_fastlane

pl_frontier

ctf_turbine

cp_granary

pl_cranetop_b8

cp_pacman_wtf_party

ctf_2fort

cp_toy_fort_elite

pl_woodland_b4

cp_blackmesa_final

pl_badwater

cp_gravelpit

pl_zig_b9

cp_steel

ctf_staging_A11

pl_cashworks_rc

As usual, download whatever maps you don't have from the first post. If you would like to recommend certain tweaks to this proposed rotation, post them. I'll gladly substitute some maps with others people want.

Also, there's a chance I won't be around when the sniper/spy update comes out. If Powerlord says he won't be around then either, is there anyone else trustworthy enough to restart the server (that is all that is needed)?

And lastly, the day the sniper/spy update comes out will be an OCR only night - the pw will be "sidebar"

I'll be around on Thursday.

Also, the Spy achievements list (as well as the official Meet the Spy video) is up now, sans the achievement descriptions.

Interestingly, there ARE a lot of James Bond references, just like the fake Spy Update from a while back.

Also, Valve earned their own corporate achievement:

youtube_fail.png UNLOCKED - Welcome to the internets: Fail to understand what 'Private' means on YouTube.

So let's see.

To date, two of the classes the Heavy is ostensibly supposed to counter have received weapons to deal with him. The FaN rather viciously exploits your lack of maneuverability while spun up; similarly, turning around in combat to check for Backburner pyros generally puts you on the business end of a critical rocket.

Come Thursday, the Heavy's two direct counter classes will receive their updates, with all the flooding and new tactics that implies.

From where I sit, playing the fat man is going to be an excersize in futility for at least six weeks. I'm still holding out hope for a massive buff to help him deal with the current metagame, but it's looking less and less likely.

RIP, Heavy: looks like babies win.

So let's see.

To date, two of the classes the Heavy is ostensibly supposed to counter have received weapons to deal with him. The FaN rather viciously exploits your lack of maneuverability while spun up; similarly, turning around in combat to check for Backburner pyros generally puts you on the business end of a critical rocket.

Come Thursday, the Heavy's two direct counter classes will receive their updates, with all the flooding and new tactics that implies.

From where I sit, playing the fat man is going to be an excersize in futility for at least six weeks. I'm still holding out hope for a massive buff to help him deal with the current metagame, but it's looking less and less likely.

RIP, Heavy: looks like babies win.

i don't really agree, i will still play heavy come the following weeks.

really, you just can't sit in one place, always move...best thing you can do as a heavy. don't just sit and spindown.