OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Convoy is so bugged on low gravity rofl

Ha! Yeah, just a little bit...

I hit one of those launcher things and it sent me clear over the other missile truck!

Not so much "oh, I just missed the truck", not "hmm, I don't think I'm going to make it", but more like "OMGWTFBBQ just happened? that wasn't even close!"

At least someone saw me... I hope I made their day.

So around lunchtime yesterday, I joined Tensei in a server over in Finland maybe? Anyway, My ping hovered around a constant 167. I came to find out that sniping is waaaay easier with a really high ping, but I have no idea why. Somehow, it was really easy to pinpoint moving heads. In one short round on Turbine, I was 28-4 (kill-death ratio). Maybe this explains why Presh can seem so godly at sniper?

Convoy was fun, but mostly because nobody knows the map. If it were played as much as Dustbowl, it would suck hardcore. More than half the fun of custom maps is everyone exploring the map together. This is why fastlane and turbine were so disappointing once they became "official." Once you play them enough to know everything, the novelty is lost.

So around lunchtime yesterday, I joined Tensei in a server over in Finland maybe? Anyway, My ping hovered around a constant 167. I came to find out that sniping is waaaay easier with a really high ping, but I have no idea why. Somehow, it was really easy to pinpoint moving heads. In one short round on Turbine, I was 28-4 (kill-death ratio). Maybe this explains why Presh can seem so godly at sniper?

Convoy was fun, but mostly because nobody knows the map. If it were played as much as Dustbowl, it would suck hardcore. More than half the fun of custom maps is everyone exploring the map together. This is why fastlane and turbine were so disappointing once they became "official." Once you play them enough to know everything, the novelty is lost.

I dunno, I <3 Turbine.

(Semi-long technical post incoming)

The game attempts to compensate for high ping by taking ranges of movement rather than single points. For a class like sniper, this makes the collision detection area much larger, since the server doesn't know exactly when during that 167ms period you actually pulled the trigger. It assumes a range and if there was a head inside that range during that time, boom headshot.

This is more problematic for classes like Pyro where, while sometimes it's nice to cover a large area, generally you're trying to hit something specific. So, if you're wildly flailing around (like I usually do) it sees the range I was firing at, divides up the damage amongst it, and for every second of playtime it only counts about a quarter second of burning.

Throw on top of all of this that the program only calculates stuff on a framewise basis and you start to see the problems I was having before getting a new video card. Realistically in order for the game to process everything 'properly' you're going to need 60+ fps and a ping low enough for two roundtrips per frame, which comes out to 4ms. That's never going to happen in online play, so the engine is forced to make a compromise, and as a result some classes are better than others in high-ping low-framerate situations.

Dang I'ma I have to fire up BitTorrent next time I play sniper. :<

I don't know about your BT client, but mine has random spikes and causes other problems, like rubberbanding (it can even be someone else who lives here torrenting to cause this).

To take advantage of the game's compesation, you really need a ping consistently > 100ms.

(Semi-long technical post incoming)

The game attempts to compensate for high ping by taking ranges of movement rather than single points. For a class like sniper, this makes the collision detection area much larger, since the server doesn't know exactly when during that 167ms period you actually pulled the trigger. It assumes a range and if there was a head inside that range during that time, boom headshot.

This is more problematic for classes like Pyro where, while sometimes it's nice to cover a large area, generally you're trying to hit something specific. So, if you're wildly flailing around (like I usually do) it sees the range I was firing at, divides up the damage amongst it, and for every second of playtime it only counts about a quarter second of burning.

Throw on top of all of this that the program only calculates stuff on a framewise basis and you start to see the problems I was having before getting a new video card. Realistically in order for the game to process everything 'properly' you're going to need 60+ fps and a ping low enough for two roundtrips per frame, which comes out to 4ms. That's never going to happen in online play, so the engine is forced to make a compromise, and as a result some classes are better than others in high-ping low-framerate situations.

Man ...

And I never played sniper back when I had a 130ms ping because I assumed it would be impossible to hit things.

My roommate (Rock n Roll Martian) said something similar to what you said Xerol a while ago. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not (as it seems as if it would bust the game a little) but apparently he was spot on the money.

Thanks for the explanation, Xerol!

Why do you guys think presh is so great at sniping? He's explained his anti-lag thousands of times before...

But it really sucks when you miss the shot, run away, then end up getting headshot behind a wall.

Depending on my status on The Illiad, I may or maynot be back tonight. And finally, I have no clue when said debit card will be arriving, since I was told it would be mailed over a week ago, and it only takes 2-3 days to mail something to me. *Hurmph*

[02:01:07] <atmuh> [01:58:02] <atmuh> CAN I PLEASE BE UNBANNED FROM #OCRTF2 FOR THREE MINUTES I NEED TO LODGE A COMPLAINT

[02:05:17] <atmuh> see this is why the number like 7th most frequent player on the server shouldnt be banned from the irc channel

[02:05:21] <atmuh> when an admin is needed

[02:05:25] <atmuh> HE CANT ASK

[02:01:07] <atmuh> [01:58:02] <atmuh> CAN I PLEASE BE UNBANNED FROM #OCRTF2 FOR THREE MINUTES I NEED TO LODGE A COMPLAINT

[02:05:17] <atmuh> see this is why the number like 7th most frequent player on the server shouldnt be banned from the irc channel

[02:05:21] <atmuh> when an admin is needed

[02:05:25] <atmuh> HE CANT ASK

Private messages (or queries in the case of IRC) are a wonderful thing.