OCR00320 - Final Fantasy IX "Place of Return"

Saunders

• 2 months later...

I like the soundfont choice as he opens up this song using the familiar rhythm right off the bat. I start to lose interest around 50 seconds... there we go, change of drum... and voila... nm.. still same... This song is great if your'e a ff9 fan, or a trance fan, however, it is semi repetitive, I give this song a 7.5/10

Rob, just so you don't feel like an odd man out here, I'm also not a big fan of FFMDJ's works. I don't think I have kept any of his older songs, and the only two songs of his that I have considered as keepers and are still on my hard drive or CC TimeScars and FF4 Ground Up. I do consider both of these to be fairly good, though. Otherwise, I just can't get into his music. That's just me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The Minus's

I Was Utterly Disgusted. I can't Believe This Was Posted. It Was A blatant Attempt At some Sort of Dance Song And It Falied Miserable. I'm Usually Not Very Critical But I was Appalled. It Was Utterly Slow And Repetetive. It Was Incredibly Empty And The Lead Without The Drums Would Have sounded Like a Pathetic Excuse For Ambient. Anyone With An LFO And The Abitility To cut and paste Could Hvae Made This Song.

No Imagination Or Creativity. Has Anyone Ever heard Of a counter Melody?

The Plusses:

Very Good Mastering (With Excetion To the fact That The Drums Were 10 times a sloud as the lead...., Or maybe That's just my speakers). High Quality Sound Samples. However The Thing I enjoyed Most About This Song Was When it Ended. It was only 3:35.

ProPhecY: I Prophesy That This "artist" Needs to rethink his "life" And His Failed Attepmts At "music". Once Again I Apologise For Being So Negative But if you look at the other reviews for the most Part, They Agree.

wow, you became a member just to say that? gees, thats painful :? I bet that must have taken you hours to think up? it wasnt a slow song mr. Prophrcy, I can make it as slow as I want to and you cant do crap to fix it , and repetetive, ..... god I hate posts like this, since when did dance not become repetetive? :? I am very discuested by your post, and leave me alone -__- you know I can do better than that.

ok so you didnt like it, and I am ok with that, it's natural it's all cool! but WTF is all this crap about I need a life? apology not excepted, dont give that I'm sorry but you suck shit. uh-uh no!

I "prophecy" that you should spell correctly and use less retarded capitalization if you wish to be taken seriously.

:roll:

Sorry about that. My friend "Prophecy" types using two fingers, so his spelling and capitalization are probably off most of the time. However, this guy knows more about electronic music than anyone I've ever met.

I think his review was a bit harsh. I thought the song had some good ideas and stuff, interesting samples, and nice drum fills. However, the drums were way too loud and seemed to clip a whole lot. It does get a bit repetitive. The instruments could have been changed up a whole lot more. Some new pads and leads would have made the whole song a lot more interesting. After like the first 2 minutes or so, it's way too repetive. The transitions and fills in the beginning were pretty good, but more should have been done with the rest of the song. Overall, the song just didn't send me. I like Haroon's upbeat stuff a lot better.

Prophecy, maybe you could try not to be such a dick next time. I appreciate your honesty though. I know Haroon can do a hellava lot better than this.

I wasn't all that impressed by this one either, and I hope that Haroon does do better on his next because I know he has it in him. JENOVAD Trance has to be one of the best VG trance mixes I've ever heard, and even my friends who for the most part only listen to trance and not VG music think it is awesome. I am waiting for the next "JENOVAD Trance", can you make that? 8O:?:

P.S. A raver friend of mine also really liked your BoF1 mix; it is awesome, and so is TimeScars and GroundUp. These are all really good. :D

Apparently someone doesn't have a basic command of the English language Mr. Saunders. Prophecy is a noun. Prophesy is a verb. The "y" in prophesy has a long "i" sound. The "y" in prophecy has a long "e" sound. If you look at your response to my review claiming that I am grammatically incorrect you used a verb in place of a noun. I quote you thereof:

"I "Prophecy" that you should spell correctly and use less retarded capitilization if you wish to be taken seriously" -- Mr. Saunders

Although this is an obvious contradiction he does have a point. I'm generally a bit trigger happy on that shift bar. It's an old habit, rather subliminal. I'm glad he pointed this out and I will work to correct this. However, he needs to think before he types as you can see above the blatant contradiction.

I would also would like to apopoligze to "FF Music Dj". I think I was too harsh. I have made over 200 hundred songs myself and I'm new to the concept of amatuer video game remixing. I'm sorry if I offended anyone especially "FF Music Dj". Compared to the people that ususally review most music I have heard I was very nice (trust me). I haven't heard any of your other stuff so it wasn't right for me to judge so quickly. Oh yes and my problem with it not being "dancey" was simply becuase you had a dancy beat. It just didn't fit the lead. The song would have probably sounded nice with a very slow beat and some nice pads. You seem to have nice software and the ability to use it becuase the sound quality was very high. Once again I apologize. I prophesy that I'm very sorry and have been deeply humbled by the experience of finding myself to be so offensive. I think my sincerity on this issue has been represented by the level of effort put into this reply.

Once again I must comment but this time on myself. If you note in my above reply you'll notice a mistake or two. I would like to point them out.

In the first paragraph, "verb in place of a noun", should be replaced by, "noun in place of a verb". Obviouly neither Mr. Saunders or I are perfect.

I have another bone to pick with myself and that's that I spoke at all. Generally when you criticize others you should be able to back up what you are saying with some experience. I have ample amounts but unfortunately I have no way of proving that till some of my songs have been submitted. Then it would be easier to point out discrepencies in other people's music becuase then they would know I was speaking from experience. This is my last reply to this review column.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd agree with Prophecy's first post, this is a lazy remix.

All that has been done is loop a theme FF9 and looped a drum beat in the back, with the odd sound.

There is no change in the bass (wait, can I even hear a bass?!?!), there is no change in the main melody, there is the odd electronic fill in the drums.

The artist obviously does not have much of a knowledge of music, as there is many, many moments in the main theme that just scream for a chord change, yet nothing happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, this was at least an improvement from Melodies of Techno, this time FFMDJ changed our beloved TPIWRT into a completely techno remix, but alas, it´s repetive. Beats I´m familiar with, synths that has some good sound but isn´t special, and at the middle some nice thing in the back shows up and gives this a more smoother feel, but...it´s clealy not one of FFMDJ´s best remixes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Damn, some harsh comments up in this one;

The song is decent and a lot of different effects and stuff hitting; but it's just the A section. There are a lot of places this could have gone, but it just repeats.

I don't think that the song merited some of the responses it received, but it certainly is within FFmusicDJ's abilities to produce more varied tracks.

This song sounds like it got lost in The Lost Woods, it seems to just repeat itself. The quality isn't bad at all, I rather enjoyed it very much. Next time there should be a bit more direction in the song.

Potential to make greater things are apparent, I want to see/hear those ideas.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry, I need to say it. While yes, I've never liked techno, and while this site has techno which I actually like, I did not like listening to this one bit. Repetitive isn't necessarily bad, it just sounds awful. While I know you are very talented, and I thoroughly enjoyed your Final Fantasy IV Ground Up remix, but this is one of the few remixes on this website which I hate.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00320 - Final Fantasy IX "Place of Return"
  • 1 year later...
On 7/30/2009 at 1:35 PM, cremdogz said:

I'm sorry, I need to say it. While yes, I've never liked techno, and while this site has techno which I actually like, I did not like listening to this one bit. Repetitive isn't necessarily bad, it just sounds awful. While I know you are very talented, and I thoroughly enjoyed your Final Fantasy IV Ground Up remix, but this is one of the few remixes on this website which I hate.

Jeez, tell 'em how you really feel. :-D

In any case, yes, it's dated, but it's actually not bad at all. The textures could have been filled out more and the lead selection could (arguably) be different, but I thought this was a nice upbeat interpretation. Good transformation here for its time. Some more clarity to the soundscape would have been nice as well, but it more than meets the bar for early 2001. The second half included some good padding via the light female vox, though it still felt a bit repetitive despite that. I thought this was a good start for Haroon, who showed that he had the right idea on personalizing his stuff from the start.