Live Action Cowboy Bebop in the works

rem

Then again, they got a huge turnout for that shitfest Spped Racer

Firstly, if you're going to insult a movie do it properly, the title is Speed Racer, not "Spped." Secondly, there wasn't a huge turnout for Speed Racer, it was a box office flop that lost truckloads of cash.

And thirdly, Speed Racer was a fucking brilliant film, ffs. Seriously. What would you expect from a film based on a 40-year old anime series famous for being butchered in the dub? Batman Begins? It does what it does perfectly- provide intentionally cheesy, immensely spectacular fun that dazzles the mind and imagination. The colors, people, the colors. It was like eating sugar with your eyes, and even moreso brilliant in IMAX.

On that same note, I absolutely detest the reaction that the internet has had towards this film-hell, towards film adaptations like this in general.

The film is being made by the guy who did A Scanner Darkly, you guys. If you remember, that film was good.

If he approaches Cowboy Bebop in a similar fashion as was done Speed Racer, but with the style of A Scanner Darkly, this could well be one of the best adaptations from animation to live action yet made.

As for the music, I would fucking love to see the motifs of the series be adapted into an orchestral/jazz hybrid, with a little bit of an electronic beat thrown in there for good measure.

I'm not ignoring the possibility that the film could be royally screwed up, I'm just saying that y'all need to get your heads out of the sand and stop being so overly critical of something you have nearly no information about. It's arrogant and presumptuous of you. And seriously, learn to enjoy yourselves once in a while at the movies! Films like Speed Racer are golden because they provide a reprieve from more serious and intellectual fare, which I enjoy just as much.

If there wasn't an Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya for every Serial Experiments Lain and Death Note then I'd fear my face would explode.

i missed the scanner darkly connection, but this guy was also responsible for constantine...sooo...we'll just have to see. this makes more interested in what can come, but even that connection is a bit of a stretch to say that they can do bebop well. now if it was the wachowski brothers, i would feel like i was in good hands. we'll have to wait to see who the director is.

but still a real life faye valentine sounds nice...found this

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/faye-valentine-costume-vert.jpg

Firstly, if you're going to insult a movie do it properly, the title is Speed Racer, not "Spped." Secondly, there wasn't a huge turnout for Speed Racer, it was a box office flop that lost truckloads of cash.

Oh noes, i misslept a words. I am defeeted. i must go to my home planet noe. God bye!

(leaves in flying saucer)

I don't see what the directors prior movie has to do with this one. In case you didn't know, people can make both good and bad things. Saying that because he made one movie that was good (in your opinion, I might add) does not mean that this one will also be as good or better. He may very well fuck this one up right good. Or he may do a decent job. Or maybe he won't do this movie at all, having decided to quit part-way through. That would ruin your prediction, wouldn't it?

Don't use past efforts as a template for future attempts. It's a terrible fallacy.

But does she still sit pretty with a pistol in hand, living to love you? Will you be her man?

I'm not ignoring the possibility that the film could be royally screwed up, I'm just saying that y'all need to get your heads out of the sand and stop being so overly critical of something you have nearly no information about. It's arrogant and presumptuous of you. And seriously, learn to enjoy yourselves once in a while at the movies! Films like Speed Racer are golden because they provide a reprieve from more serious and intellectual fare, which I enjoy just as much.

I didn't see Speed Racer, so I'll keep that discussion aside.

Calling us "overly critical of something you have nearly no information about" is ignoring the fact that better than 90% of the time, Hollywood adaptations of anime, comic books, videogames, etc.-- pretty much anything but books, ends up being a total waste of time, an embarrassment to the fans, and a denigration to the original property.

Is it cynical? Perhaps, but it's based on a sadly predictable track record, and formulas most film makers never seem wiling to stray from, so we end up with the same old tired collection of cliches, climaxes, and conclusions, with our property sewed on top.

For every Dark Knight or Iron Man, we get 50 Elektras, Catwomans, and Batman & Robins. It's even worse for videogame movies. MK and maybe Silent Hill, and the rest is total crap, with no sign of improving unless, say Sony got serious about making MGS.

Bebop is so unique unto its mold, that even the movie (Knocking of Heaven's Door) fell short of replicating what made the show great. Should we really expect a Hollywood flick with Keanu Reeves (to be fair, still a rumor) as the star, to really hit on the unique mix of themes and spirit that made the show great, with nothing to suggest otherwise? Or should we just line up at the box office now to give movie studios no motivation to change how they make crappy films?

Should we really expect a Hollywood flick with Keanu Reeves (to be fair, still a rumor) as the star, to really hit on the unique mix of themes and spirit that made the show great, with nothing to suggest otherwise? Or should we just line up at the box office now to give movie studios no motivation to change how they make crappy films?

i'm not gonna expect much from hollywood until WETA gets going on Neon Genesis Evangelion and sets the bar.

also, just curious, where did you feel that the bebop anime film lacked? its probably my favorate movie from an anime series...there are too many bad ones to count, heh. i admit it was departure than the original feel of the show, i enjoyed it thoroughly. i remeber it even playing in movie theaters...which is definetely a step forward for anime.

but your right about the bar being high for bebop, and if hollywood, who has yet to put any successful adaptations of anime out, screws this up, they are going to alienate a lot of fans and probably going to give up on further adaptations. ie. Evangelion. it'll be interesting to see what becomes of this.

And thirdly, Speed Racer was a fucking brilliant film, ffs. Seriously. What would you expect from a film based on a 40-year old anime series famous for being butchered in the dub? Batman Begins? It does what it does perfectly- provide intentionally cheesy, immensely spectacular fun that dazzles the mind and imagination. The colors, people, the colors. It was like eating sugar with your eyes, and even moreso brilliant in IMAX.

On that same note, I absolutely detest the reaction that the internet has had towards this film-hell, towards film adaptations like this in general.

The film is being made by the guy who did A Scanner Darkly, you guys. If you remember, that film was good.

If he approaches Cowboy Bebop in a similar fashion as was done Speed Racer, but with the style of A Scanner Darkly, this could well be one of the best adaptations from animation to live action yet made.

As for the music, I would fucking love to see the motifs of the series be adapted into an orchestral/jazz hybrid, with a little bit of an electronic beat thrown in there for good measure.

If there wasn't an Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya for every Serial Experiments Lain and Death Note then I'd fear my face would explode.

The internet is serious business.