Super Mario Land 2 'Star Maze'

WillRock

This is a WIP of the star maze theme from the game Super Mario Land 2 - 6 golden coins which no one has posted a remix of on oc remix which surpises me.

I hope you like it :)

Please provide me with feedback a constructive crit. for me to work with so i can make this better!

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/bxds/Star-Maze-Theme-Edit

The only big problem I had in listening to this mix was that everything felt the same volume. The middle section in particular felt muddy; it seemed like the melody was fighting to be heard over the background. It was less of a problem from 2:24 to fade. Conversely, the hand-claps in the background from around 1:17 on were too quiet; I didn't really feel them adding anything to the overall sound.

The arrangement is great - I'm not a huge fan of Star Maze's music, but you did a nice job of MAKING it interesting for me. As a washed-out flute player of four years, I particularly enjoyed the flute leads. :)

• 1 month later...

Ah... A Star Maze remix AT LAST! Nice to hear someone picking it up.

I am, however, unsure with that flute. It sound kind of harsh, and while your stride off-source with the main instruments go all well, the flute doesn't make quite the same way: it sounds terribly off, dare I say even false, so I'd suggest you tweak it a bit. The flute is what makes your song stand out from the rest, so I hope you can work it out somehow...

There are some pretty cool ideas here. I like the atmosphere you've got going on in the background, and the use of xylophone (marimba?) was pretty cool. Gives the song a very different feel from the original while still being recognizable, so good job there.

I think the bass is probably the standout problem here...it's too deep, too loud, and it drowns everything else out. The drums are pretty boring, but I'm not sure it's because of the repetition. I think it might sound better if the pattern was a bit more intricate, maybe with some little auxilary percussion parts - especially once the xylophone comes in. And the first lead you have playing the main melody is a bit too muted sounding I think. Personally I'd go with something a bit brighter.

I like what you've done with this mix so far, and it's really cool to hear it played out in such unique instrumentation. That being said, I'd bring the EQ on the flute down a bit, because it's high notes are almost grating. I don't know that I agree with bringing the bass down, it sounded fine to me where it was. Good job on the transition between the straight techno interpretation and the more upbeat flute playing/Caribbean sound. The fade out was kind of a let down, because where it stands right now, your song is split evenly between the techno section and your more unique instrumentation. If you have to choose between the two, go for the flute playing. It sounds a lot more unique and is really fun to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have sorted out the flute lead, I have EQ'd down the high frequencies. Also I have added a percussion part in the caribbean section which at the moment I think is awesome. Its striking me how much this sounds like a Mcvaffe remix... maybe his music is rubbing off on me :P

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/uxiw/shootingstars

Just coming from HoboKa's shrinra remix and your metal wip... This is really pleasant.

No source link, blah blah..

Kick is a little strong on the highs, and the hats are a bit trashy. I suggest you cut the kick's high and the hats' mids.

I was missing a fill at 1:57. :D You know the one that goes into triplets, typical in this genre (aside from the electronica).

It gets a bit repetitive.

Not much else I can say. This is awesome. :D

btw, your last wip and this one both have a loud and annoying click at the end of the file. Not fun when listening on headphones.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok guys, I subbed to the panel and it got a NO.

shtyjdgfgt's lol.

Seriously, the judges say that it has potential so I'm happy for now :D

Anyway, I'm going to re-sub, seeing as BGCs seems to be blackmailing me on the matter so yeah.

I'm going to sort out the issues that the judges mentioned, here is a link to the decision:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19087

If anyone has any crits, now is the time to do it :D

What a weird day - after months of waiting, everything comes at once - I found out I also have my mountain of dreams mix in the to be posted section today :D

Moving on...

Lets get this even better then!

Heh. Well, I guess that just goes to show that not all judges work their way from the bottom of the pile (OR, this one has generated some discussion, requiring more than 4 judges to vote on it, and since only about 4 judges are active on the panel...). June is a really long time ago though!

True my ice cap has had 7 votes to my knowledge though, so it would take a while if some judges vote less than others, which is a fact. but thats nothing compared to the wait of a yes'd mix being posted. Have a look at the queue, some have been there since 2007. Thus, waiting for things on this site is a fact of life :D.

http://remix.thasauce.net/sml2/

I think it's the one named Spaceman Jones by Steppo. This was a joke album released on April 1st this year, but this one song, and one or two others, were actually pretty good, although none of the good ones are full-length, which is really too bad.

Are there other "hidden" albums like that (about other games) in ThaSauce? :|

• 1 month later...
Are there other "hidden" albums like that (about other games) in ThaSauce? :|

Kinda of. We don't really "do" albums so much right now, other than that one which was a joke, but we DO host at least one other ReMix project:

A few days ago, on a couple of forums, community member mithius released "The Story of Hyrule." An epic 44 track album, comprised of both arrangements from Zelda 1 through a Link to the Past, as well as a number of original tracks. The post was long and kind of disjointed, the website was a bit "1996", but the music was absolutely AMAZING. That's when I decided to start work on a proper website and hosting to really showcase mithius's hard work.

I want to point out that, even though it's hosted under the ReMix:ThaSauce subdomain, this album is NOT affiliated with R:TS or ThaSauce at all. I simply wanted to make sure this album got proper presentation. All the music and story on the site is by mithius and mithius alone. All I did was give him a website and some hosting. (I would've like to give him a subdomain, but that's just not an option at this point.)

Anyway, give it a listen an enjoy an epic musical journey through the lands of Hyrule!

Original discussion on OC ReMix.

Original discussion on ThaSauce.

Preview:

• 7 months later...

Bumping this for great justice!

Will, now that your Ice Cap remix was accepted, is there any chance you'll be going back to this one any time soon? I mean, it's wonderfull that they accepted a piece which wasa already remixed to death, pretty please finish this one which almost no one has remixed? ^_^