OCR00983 - *YES* Xenogears 'The Lost City of Shevat'

djpretzel

It's been almost 2 weeks since I sent in my last submission, from Phantasy Star 2 'Dezoris Winter' based on the guidelines I'm ok with sending this in. This time it's Xenogears' 'The Lost City of Shevat' done in a new age/ethnic style. (More the former than the latter.) This is actually a considerable remake of an initial Shevat arrangement I did months ago, which sounded very much like my Schala Memories Lost in time, which is up OC.

The ID tags are messed up again, as MP3.com changed them. Sorry about that.

Title: The Lost City of Shevat

File URL: (4 MB, 4:20, 128kbps)

Game: Xenogears

OC Handle: GrayLightning

Email: thegraylightning@yahoo.com

-- I sent this last note in my last two submissions, but in case you get to this first --

URL: http://www.mp3.com/graylightning ( please add this url to my OC page, http://remix.overclocked.org/detailremixer.php?mixerid=292 )

Is it me, or does GreyLightning seem to use template submission emails.

They all use the same words. Odd...

ok,

The style is here. Mood is established. Doesnt vary much on the drums.

Very slow and melodic. The question here is: Is this the original melody over some static drums? Is there any originality here?

The answer is:

I dunno.

Someone wanna help me out with this?

The drums are varying more now. This song really has some cool atmosphere. The flute is light and harmonious.

Very nice.

I'll give it a YES until such time as someone points out that it follows the original far too closely, etc.

Ya need to go to

http://www.xgam.org/multimedia/music/ost/index.shtml

and nab 05. Shebat, the Wind is Calling.

Now on to my verdict...

It's a very slowed down version of the original. It's not as different as I thought (I listened to the original afterwards) but it is still enough of an evolution for me. Nice sounds, calm and cool. This does need to be voted on by those more familiar with the original song however, as the 'original' I am comparing this to is a midi.

YES

I'm not too big on the lead instrument, personally. Seems a little TOO

light and airy for my tastes, but I can live with it. Drums are a little too

crisp for what I'd envision with this atmosphere.

Those chromatic runs RPG music seems to love just always rub me the

wrong way... but I'm not going to judge the original song too much (:

Anyway, nice solid atmosphere here, but I'm still not too big on the drumset

used. Personal gripes aside though, it's put together well and enjoyable.

YES

The chromatic loop in the original was about to give me a headache after I listened to it three times through... major chords on an upper-register clavinet with an inconspicuous bassline isn’t my idea of fun.

Thankfully, this arrangement is much more enjoyable. The bell-pad lead is still high up there octave-wise, but not as much. The sudden rolls at the end of an occasional measure give this an interesting sort of start-stop, adventurous feel. The soft drums are quite common to the stock new-age style. I'd have liked to see the lead swap instruments a few more times here and there to keep the flow fresh, perhaps to one with more sonic depth, but I suppose as it is it gives the piece a sense of continuity. A brooding, spacey, and plodding mix.

YES