OCR01736 - Valkyrie Profile "Until You See the Light in Valhalla"

djpretzel

Valkyrie Profile is probably in the list of my top 5 favorite games, and I gotta say this remix is pretty solid. The piano part really draws you in as it plays, in my opinion, the best part of the track. I always loved when the song played as you hopped from stone to stone in valhalla to fight the final boss, which shall not be named for spoilers sake. This song really brings me back.

Some very nostalgic memories here indeed. My only gripe with this was the piano wasn't taken farther, but it's only because it, for some strange reason, reminded me of the piano version of Subarashiki Shin Sekai from Namco X Capcom and I was curious to what could have developed. Overall, good job on getting the first VP mix here.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the beginning, simply because it's very different from what's to come, which makes the transition into the rock part of the song all the better.

The piano part is a nice addition. Short but sweet, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and the transition back into rock was handled quite well, too.

All in all, a very solid remix, though I sometimes feel as if the guitar is a tiny little tad too loud. But really, only a tiny little tad.

Very nice beginning, it is has a bit of DiCola in there, which is always a good thing. I think the snare is too loud, but I know how you love your snares. -____-

Source is pretty good, and the piano breakdown is beautiful as always.

I think the rhythm guitar is a little too quiet. A little more high end would give it a nice crunch.

Transitions are superb, they work very well, and it takes a moment to even realize it's a different source. Very cool stuff.

Simon is a Super Singe!

• 3 months later...

This is cool. I realized I hadn't listened to this before... or paid enough attention. It's a crazy progression through styles and moods and still remains cohesive. That's impressive. It feels a bit backwards, tho; in the beginning it felt like it had played for way too long, and towards the end I was a bit disappointed that it could still have gone on for a couple of minutes. DUnno what that means, but the track is an experience.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does some very decent justice to Motoi's original material. It's pretty evident that there was some great appreciation for the more complex melodic structures that Sakaruba seems to be the master of.

Guitar work is uberfine, but that's a no-brainer, seeings as this is Scaredsim, who really pulls his weight in terms of awesome, unapologetic rock explosions.

Apart from the obviously great guitar work, the little interspersed pockets of ambience or piano sections were very welcome and held up to the standard of the louder sections. In all, it oozes quality from every pore.

And as much as I have a guilty pleasure for medly mixes that suffer from a slight bit of medlyitis, I was very pleased that this didn't. The fact that this doesn't sound like a medly at all is a relief, because bad transitions would murder a rock mix like this. The end result is very liquid, moving along without a hitch; a sign of expert arranging.

A true benchmark for rock medlies. Love it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01736 - Valkyrie Profile "Until You See the Light in Valhalla"