RECRUITMENT: Male singers!

OceansAndrew

Well, I pulled out my mic today, and I think something very bad happened to it, because it records worse than those kids karaoke toys from the early 90s... I used to record guitar with it, but this thing is absolutely worthless now. Unless I can get my hands on a decent mic, count me out... :puppyeyes:

I've sent out additional PMs to people with info!

Hemophiliac has put together this very useful style guide; check it out yo!

http://ff4.oceansend.com/uploads/Fabul%20Choir.pdf

http://ff4.oceansend.com/uploads/Fabul%20Pronounciation.mp3

Thanks to everyone that has sent stuff in so far. :-D

Very useful. Thanks, Hemophiliac. I think I mispronounced the last word there. I also like to add one additional tip. For those who can, your pronunciation of the letter "r" has to be rolled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A657272

At the end of verse two, we have four syllables in three notes: the tuna in for-tu-na is only given one note, not two. Since it's a half note, should we treat it as two quarters? Which word and where do you want us to make up the extra syllable?

Good question, although in OA's original recording, the "tu" receives the half note; "na" and "iu" both receive quarter notes.

Can I get a clarification on the diction for "iuvat"? Both recordings I've heard now have different pronunciations, neither of which actually meshes with my understanding of correct Latin diction, which would make the word sound like either "yoo vot" or "yoo wot".

Good question, although in OA's original recording, the "tu" receives the half note; "na" and "iu" both receive quarter notes.

Can I get a clarification on the diction for "iuvat"? Both recordings I've heard now have different pronunciations, neither of which actually meshes with my understanding of correct Latin diction, which would make the word sound like either "yoo vot" or "yoo wot".

Thanks -- now that there seems to be a consensus, I'll record this afternoon!

(And I promise I'll get around to recording it. I've got two weeks until school starts and I have to find a time when I can record without disturbing my family and without them disturbing me.)

Just tell your family you need 20 minutes of quiet to record something for a CD; they ought to be impressed enough to give you the space you need. :)

EDIT: My re-record is now uploaded -- hooray!

Actually, ee oo vot, but I think it'll end up sounding like the first one anyway.

Latin is supposed to use the W sound for V's, but sung Latin doesn't do this because (I think this is the reason anyway) the pronunciations are based off of Medieval Latin and Italian, not Augustan Latin.

(And I promise I'll get around to recording it. I've got two weeks until school starts and I have to find a time when I can record without disturbing my family and without them disturbing me.)

Although the "ee oo" in Latin does often get condensed into a "yoo" for singing, in the case of the word "iuvat," the "i" is actually consonantal. The word is sometimes also spelled "juvat."

Good point about the "w" vs. "v" issue, too. This doesn't only crop up in singing, but it is, as you indicated, because there are different schools of thought on this particular consonant.

All that being said, as OA originally pointed out, it doesn't matter so much that we're being purists as long as we're all using the same diction. So, what's the concensus? My vote's on "yoo vot".

Good luck finding your peace and quiet, dPaladin!

I've started to recieve some wavs and it is sounding awesome in the track itself;

For those interested, I am adding a few other parts throughout the song; ooohhhs and aahhh and one part for the chorus with lyrics.

Basically what i'll do is when those parts are ready, i'll PM those who have already sent me something, as I assume they'd be the ones interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...