Sonic the Hedgehog 'Dance With Me Sonic' (Green Hill Zone)

Jewbei

hey everyone im sorta new here..well ive been lurking around OCR for a very long time mainly ive been active in VGMix. So being that i really want to get on OCR im going to start utilizing these forums better and start being more active here. What i have here is a House (with trance elements) Of Green HIll Zone from sonic 1. I appreciate any feedback i recive good or bad. So enjoy! and share your thoughts.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/nclo/Jewbei--Dance-With-Me-Again-Sonic-BETA

P.S. this wip is kinda old i jus stopped working on it because i ran out of ideas

Wow, I feel kind of neat being the first reply.

First off, I'm not too hot at all on the Bass drum at the beginning, although it might be my Mega Bass headphones. Its a little too harsh. Good effect, I'd just tone it down a bit.

This is some really nice work overall, it has a really good kind of funk to it. My biggest complaint is that I didn't recognize any source material until after 2 minutes into the song. Now, that may just be me not having played the original Sonic in too long, but it seems almost like there's too much original material here, at least in the first 2 minutes.

Oh... this song is only 3:33... well then. (To clarify, I tend to review as I listen.)

Well I'll definitely give that the overall feel of the song is there. This sounds really nice, don't get me wrong, you've obviously got a good ear for this sort of thing. This is OCR though, and the R bit is very important. Definitely needs more from the source.

Now, I can't tell if this is from the style of not, but I'm not personally a fan of long intros. Not at all. I think the best place to introduce some form of the melody would have been around 1:33 when the rings sample came in.

Also, I notice that the... how do I put this... Referring to the original source, I guess it would be the "break"? The section after the most recognizeable melody, which basically consists of some drawn out chords, and more importantly a key change, which varies the atmosphere of the original piece during the break. You keep this mix in the same key for the entire length. I feel like when I get to the end, I want there to have been more, for the last phrase of the melody that played to have led into something... epic.

So I guess my best suggestion is, either add some more source to the intro, or shorten it, and then lead the end of the mix into something more varied. Its a good start, but its definitely missing an epic punch that makes a listener want to come back to it.

Thats my take on it. Consider me an outsider, kind of a GE judge if you will. Nothing sounded technically out of place to me, I just wanted more from the overall experience. I'm sure someone else on the forums can tell you if you need to fix something more relating to the actual soundscape, but it sounded OK to me.

-gamefreak

Oh man, Jewbei, it's great to see you here. I made sure to always listen when you had a WIP on the VGMix boards (before the site came back online), because your mixes always kick ass. I've always wondered why you never made an OCRemix submission... seriously, dude. Bring moar of your music here.

Rock on.

Wow, I feel kind of neat being the first reply.

First off, I'm not too hot at all on the Bass drum at the beginning, although it might be my Mega Bass headphones. Its a little too harsh. Good effect, I'd just tone it down a bit.

This is some really nice work overall, it has a really good kind of funk to it. My biggest complaint is that I didn't recognize any source material until after 2 minutes into the song. Now, that may just be me not having played the original Sonic in too long, but it seems almost like there's too much original material here, at least in the first 2 minutes.

Oh... this song is only 3:33... well then. (To clarify, I tend to review as I listen.)

Well I'll definitely give that the overall feel of the song is there. This sounds really nice, don't get me wrong, you've obviously got a good ear for this sort of thing. This is OCR though, and the R bit is very important. Definitely needs more from the source.

Now, I can't tell if this is from the style of not, but I'm not personally a fan of long intros. Not at all. I think the best place to introduce some form of the melody would have been around 1:33 when the rings sample came in.

Also, I notice that the... how do I put this... Referring to the original source, I guess it would be the "break"? The section after the most recognizeable melody, which basically consists of some drawn out chords, and more importantly a key change, which varies the atmosphere of the original piece during the break. You keep this mix in the same key for the entire length. I feel like when I get to the end, I want there to have been more, for the last phrase of the melody that played to have led into something... epic.

So I guess my best suggestion is, either add some more source to the intro, or shorten it, and then lead the end of the mix into something more varied. Its a good start, but its definitely missing an epic punch that makes a listener want to come back to it.

Thats my take on it. Consider me an outsider, kind of a GE judge if you will. Nothing sounded technically out of place to me, I just wanted more from the overall experience. I'm sure someone else on the forums can tell you if you need to fix something more relating to the actual soundscape, but it sounded OK to me.

-gamefreak

thank you gamefreak for the feedback. Yeah i have a horrible habit in making long intros and yeah in the next version im going to do what you said..tone down the kick a lil and cut the intro short...and introduce some of the source early so i can have it set up. annd add new chords. i shall keep you posted

Oh man, Jewbei, it's great to see you here. I made sure to always listen when you had a WIP on the VGMix boards (before the site came back online), because your mixes always kick ass. I've always wondered why you never made an OCRemix submission... seriously, dude. Bring moar of your music here.

Rock on.

Well I have made some sub's in fact my track pretension is in the cue this month i hope i can get in *crosses fingers* but yeah i figured if i want to get in ocr i gotta use the tools that is right in front of me.

The kick sounds a little too hollow. It blends it pretty good once the song gets started at :41. Before that marker it really sticks out in a bad way.

I really love that lil synth in the very beggining. There is all kinds of movement in the synths throughout that really add a lot of character to the song.

While elements are added in every measure the song isn't mvoving forward fast enough.

1:51 the bells are way too soft.

Make sure to lower some of the filters on some of the synths. They are masking some of the lead instruments. Which makes the harmonies stick out over the lead instruments. this is really evident at 2:06 when the main lead comes in. Def try out some different wav forms on some of the synths. Having many of the synths saw based will only decrease the sonic space in the mix bc there is no contrast in the sounds.

2:47 is a great example of how the rest of the song should sound. The sounds compliment each other much better. Great choice for a lead in the that section. It sits much better in the mix.

Transitions throughout the first are weak. They offer enough ear candy to really keep the listener glued in to the song.

Great ideas just needs some fine tuning all around to capitilize on what you got!

Some hard velocity-tied cutoffs could give you different saw-based sounds without making too radical soundscaping changes. Overall, the only thing I think I could say that avaris didn't already cover would be that, the low source usage (during a quick listen at least), and the muddy and crowded mix.

I'll also have to echo avaris' advice to cut some lows off of some of your instruments, it gets really thick at the end.

Overall, this has got some pretty cool sounds, and the arrangement overall is pretty good, but imo it needs more source, and a lot of mixing tweaks. Levels are fine, but EQs and instrument tweaks would turn this into a great track.

• 5 months later...