MAGFest 7: Jan. 1st - 4th, 2009

Bahamut

Does anyone know what the parking situation is at the hotel? I know that they offer $9/day (or $14/day event) guest parking, but does anyone know how liable it is to fill up?

I'll be driving in each day, and after taking a look at the area, there's not much available there besides parking at the hotel (I didn't see any garages or anything else nearby 'sides the apartments across the street). KF

Parking is $1/day... MAG-rate

Parking is $1/day... MAG-rate

As I understand it, the MAG-rate only applies to people who are rooming at the hotel, not to guests. Since I'll be driving in each day, I don't think I'll get the MAG-rate.

In any case, I'm not concerned about the cost of parking, only the availability. I've had problems with cons before (notably Katsucon) where parking was entirely impossible anywhere within walking distance--but that was metro-accessible, while MAGfest isn't.

So, yeah, does anyone know about how liable the Hilton garage is to fill up during this? Did this happen at M6 or before? KF

As I understand it, the MAG-rate only applies to people who are rooming at the hotel, not to guests. Since I'll be driving in each day, I don't think I'll get the MAG-rate.

In any case, I'm not concerned about the cost of parking, only the availability. I've had problems with cons before (notably Katsucon) where parking was entirely impossible anywhere within walking distance--but that was metro-accessible, while MAGfest isn't.

So, yeah, does anyone know about how liable the Hilton garage is to fill up during this? Did this happen at M6 or before? KF

I drove a bunch of us from the hotel to many eating places around the area... Never had a parking issue last year. Pretty much the only people that are there during the time of MAGFest are... MAGFest attendees. Not too many people are going to be there past New Years.

I drove a bunch of us from the hotel to many eating places around the area... Never had a parking issue last year. Pretty much the only people that are there during the time of MAGFest are... MAGFest attendees. Not too many people are going to be there past New Years.

Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. And yeah, it does make sense that not many people are going to be there right after New Years besides MAGFesters. (Is there an agreed-upon term for MAGFest attendees?)

zircon, José, and myself will be there! :3

I'll keep an eye out for you folks!

I haven't really had any luck convincing any of my friends in the area to go, considering the time of year, so I'll probably not know many people there ahead of time outside of a few OCRers. Given the comments, though, I don't think there'll be any shortage of things to do or folks to meet. KF

Unhappy bump. Unfortunately, the fates (or their agents in the finances of my life) have aligned that MAGFest is virtually impossible for me and mine this year. /drama

You might remember my friend Josh (big guy, big beard) from M5, who was also going to come, and I was going to drag my girlfriend along as well. Pretty much, none of us can pick up any of the other's slack here, so we're not going to make it. We're fairly bummed about it, since it's a trip we anticipate all year, but such is life. Here's hoping the rest of you guys have an awesome time and rep OCR awesomely like I know you will.

So... has anything been sorted out with New Years Eve yet? I haven't heard anything about it, but I might just be looking in the wrong place. KF

New Year's Eve is our JamSpace concert.

We have a few groups lined up to perform, as well as some sort of countdown thing to New Years.

Hey if you don't want to swim, there's probably a hot tub too.

But all the cool kids are gonna be in the pool.

heck yeah. i'll actually bring my trunks this year. last year the hot tub was all the irc cats and the cool kids were poolin it up. except dave.

steve (local friend from undergrad) and i are planning on getting in around 3:30 or so. PREPARE TO BE ROCKED.