MAGFest 7: Jan. 1st - 4th, 2009

Bahamut

Kizyr - I have yet to meet you. If you see this before you leave the MAGHotel, stop by JamSpace sometime and introduce yourself.

BGC has made it, I saw him.

I have recordings sitting on my box here from JamSpace, I will chop and upload as soon as I'm not recording 24/7 and I get a minute.

Well, it was fun while it lasted for me. As I type this you're all probably rocking out to Armcannon or prepping for the OCR panel or the open mic concert or some cool thing like that. But it was great to see you all again, and meet some new faces. We'd better have another meetup over the summer or something.

By the way, I just listened to Drossin's Virtual Sonic. God, it's bad. He said Sonic & Knuckles wasn't work he liked and it shows. For some reason, he even has a hip hop track on there, despite what he mentioned. The one exception is the Spinball theme, which is an expanded version of the three second long theme he had to draw up at the last minute.

The Comix Zone CD, by contrast, is pretty rockin. It's a bit hard to hear the Comix Zone inspiration at points, so if they were OCRemixes they wouldn't pass. But it's a good listen all the same.

Kizyr - I have yet to meet you. If you see this before you leave the MAGHotel, stop by JamSpace sometime and introduce yourself.

I'll keep an eye out for you when I stop by the JamSpace next time. And I'll be at the OCR panel tomorrow, of course.

I was there earlier today when I heard pixietricks, zircon, DrumUltima, et. al., starting up Star Salzman's The Incredible Singing Robot from down the hall. My ears kind of perked up when I heard the words "Star Salzman". Chances are you may've seen me already.

By the way, I'm really enjoying my first MAGFest. I'm wondering now why I never went in previous years! KF

Please tell me someone took video of the OCR panel this year...

We did, in HD; this MAG was the maiden voyage of the official OCR camcorder, a Canon Vixia HF100. We also recorded the Game Audio Professionals panel, which had virt, Tommy Tallarico, Howard Drossin, Grant Kirkhope, etc. as well as Shael and I, who really aren't in the game audio industry (or particularly professional) but did get to talk about HD Remix a bit. It was rather epic, but a lot of people missed it, so we'll try and get that and the panel vids up soon. bLiNd and Jade were there and Jade was recording a lot of stuff, too. For the OCR panel, we had a mini HDR tournament and I miraculously managed to avoid embarassing myself.

We did, in HD; this MAG was the maiden voyage of the official OCR camcorder, a Canon Vixia HF100. We also recorded the Game Audio Professionals panel, which had virt, Tommy Tallarico, Howard Drossin, Grant Kirkhope, etc. as well as Shael and I, who really aren't in the game audio industry (or particularly professional) but did get to talk about HD Remix a bit. It was rather epic, but a lot of people missed it, so we'll try and get that and the panel vids up soon. bLiNd and Jade were there and Jade was recording a lot of stuff, too. For the OCR panel, we had a mini HDR tournament and I miraculously managed to avoid embarassing myself.

That HDR tourney was great. I very much enjoyed playing zircon, and most definitely look forward to playing the game with him again. And, ya know, if any of you are feelin' up to a challenge (not that I pose a serious one, but hey, I can get better), feel free to hit me up on XBL. I'll probably be getting HDR on my PS3 as well.

So I have to say, this year's panel was probably the absolute best ever. There was lots of humor, always good, as well as lot of of cool news. I think my favorite part was getting to listen to previews of the FF4 project; wait for the video guys, you're going to love it!

Also, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I'm going to mention it (again) because it's that cool. They had Street Fighter IV down in the console room, and let me tell you, videos don't do it enough justice. It looks absolutely gorgeous; the animation is flawless, the moves are spectacular, and it's pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Sadly, as of right now, I haven't had a chance to pick it up, but before I leave, I'm going to go see if it's still set up, and then try and get in on it.

Also, Larry, you totally owe me a HDR match. XD

Prince of Darkness is my bass hero! (As I sit here, he's playing DoD bass-less tracks... INSANITY!!!)

Yes indeed. PoD ROCKS. His previous DoD track "Sonic Gargles with Golden Marbles" is one of the catchiest remixes I've ever heard. If he played that live, then you're so freakin' lucky. Let's hope there's a video of that.

Speaking of videos, nice work with the new year's countdown vid. Can't wait for those panels, Dave.

For the OCR panel, we had a mini HDR tournament and I miraculously managed to avoid embarassing myself.

So did I!

I can't describe how awesome it was meeting so many of you yesterday and Thursday, putting handles to faces, and seeing those I'd already met again. I had such a great time I was practically able to ignore the pain in my right leg which started that morning and steadily got worse over the day. I had to leave MAG early and miss the Smash Brothers because the pain got so bad. The drive home was horrible - I could barely change pedals without it causing me sharp pain. I ended up going to the hospital as soon as I got home and apparently I have tendonitis. 8-O

Thankfully no surgery is required but I have it in a knee stabilizer right now and I have to stay off of it for 1-2 weeks. No driving and I gotta use crutches to get around. All things considered, I'm lucky given how much pressure I put on it yesterday. It was still an amazing day for me.

I'm exhausted. MAGFest was a lot of fun; I'm glad I made it this year and got to meet so many other folks from here. It's really the best small/medium-sized convention I've ever been to--you rarely see that kind of all-around support coming not just from people staffing but also your regular attendees. Plus the guests were all awesome, the concerts and JamSpace was incredible, and I definitely lost a lot of time getting hooked on the various arcade games set up. I'll definitely be there next year.

Prince of Darkness is my bass hero! (As I sit here, he's playing DoD bass-less tracks... INSANITY!!!)

I stepped in since he was playing right before The Megas were going to go on stage, and I was pretty floored. Sonic Gargles with Golden Marbles was amazing.

After I get a chance to rest, I'll probably say a little more about the convention. And, say, stuff that's specific and won't make me run out of adjectives similar to 'awesome'. KF

So did I!

I can't describe how awesome it was meeting so many of you yesterday and Thursday, putting handles to faces, and seeing those I'd already met again. I had such a great time I was practically able to ignore the pain in my right leg which started that morning and steadily got worse over the day. I had to leave MAG early and miss the Smash Brothers because the pain got so bad. The drive home was horrible - I could barely change pedals without it causing me sharp pain. I ended up going to the hospital as soon as I got home and apparently I have tendonitis. 8-O

Thankfully no surgery is required but I have it in a knee stabilizer right now and I have to stay off of it for 1-2 weeks. No driving and I gotta use crutches to get around. All things considered, I'm lucky given how much pressure I put on it yesterday. It was still an amazing day for me.

I really hope you get well soon. It was great to see you again at MAGFest, hopefully we'll get to see you at another Philly meetup or even Otakon. (Otakon is July 17 through the 19 this year.)

Woot! I actually get to see it this year! :D

That was fantastic. You guys are fun, and I'm glad I got to meet many of you - see you next year!

And Jamspace... amazing. Unimaginably great. Thanks Escariot for helping out with it, and to everyone I got to hear (notably the well-rehearsed and unique combo of Harmony, Taucer, bustatunez, yodaisbetter, AudioFidelity, The Pezman, and more I'm probably forgetting probably).

At one point Vincent Diamante (one of the game composers at Magfest) must have liked the stuff myself and some others were doing (2 of my band-mates, plus beej, coda, and more), since he came up and jammed with us for quite a while! And then Dom too must have liked what he heard, since he joined us for some amazing CT jams (including "Undersea Funk Palace"). Can you believe this stuff? Rellik, Vincent Diamante, Dom and a drummer that I didn't recognize jamming deliciously on Chrono Trigger... can't wait for the video.

Vincent Diamante (one of the game composers at Magfest)

Wait, really? The composer for Cloud was there & I didn't know about it? Dangit. With so much going on at MAGFest anymore, it has the side effect of making it easy to miss things!

I'll no doubt have more thoughts to post later, but for now I just gotta say it was a really fantastic time. Oh and bLiNd, I never knew you could make dance mix sets so freakin' well! It was almost enough to vault me over my anxiety and get my feet movin' on the dance floor. Almost. o.o

I can't believe we sang nearly the entire Dr. Horrible soundtrack in jamspace, LIVE. Escariot's girlfriend sounds just like Penny, only better, honestly. Crazy.

As things go, there wasn't nearly enough time in the world to hang out with absolutely everyone like I wanted to, so I'm kinda sad about that, but so glad to have had so much fun with so many people. Love you guys.

That composer's panel contained a pretty epic turnout of professionals and cool dudes alike. Very nice. A+

Oh yeah, and I lost my voice on the last night of the concerts. It was that good.