OCR00980 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Assembly Line Apparitions"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Unbelievable. This one makes me want to pee my pants it's so good. The 2.5 words that come to my mind are 'omfg, totally epic.' I don't post here much although I do download a lot of remixes, and I had to come and comment on Assembly line Apparitions. Bravo, Protricity. Masterful.

• 9 months later...

Heheheheheh...this is such a freaky mix. Man, it makes me laugh :lol: Itz so krazy! But really, it's a good track, reminds me of the 80's for some strangesque reason *shakes head*. It's great, though. King K. Rool probably listens to this in his spooky liar *que music* Haha! I love it!!!

~^~Mary_mari's seal of approval~^~

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If the first one was adrenalinepumping, then how´s this?

Some of the instruments may sound a little bad, but at some point it doesn´t bother me. It may be that the original is so great that it does not matter. It may be that the guitar is so great together with the cool synths. It can also be that I´m sitting in front of my computer 8:00 a.m and really needs something that wakes me up.

Whatever the reason, this is a great remix with cool instruments working together with drums and beats to deliver a joyride of excitement to us.

I´m still too tired... :sleepzzz:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The sounds are pretty dated, unlike stuff like "Forest Birdcussion," and Ari would be able to come up with more fleshed out textures nowadays. But the arrangement is pretty good, even though I'm not a fan of the original at all.

Really awesome rock stuff from 2:51-3:41 with some awesome synth soloing. Everything from that point on carried the track home strong and sounded a lot more cohesive than the first half.

• 5 months later...

Actually, Haunted Chase would happen to be a pretty blatant rip-off/arrangement of Modest Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain ( The fast rising note passages at the start and the ominous brass are almost verbatim)

I always love the way Protricity's songs seem to progress throughout, but still keep a rhythmic and stilistic consistency. It's really hard to get a proper knack for that, and this song is a striking example of this style. Love it.

• 1 year later...

It really is 5 minutes of greatness.

I was expecting guitar wankery here, and I wasn't disapointed.

It has kind of a Castlevania-esque feeling to it ...mixed with a bit of James Bond too.

Some instruments or textures sound a bit fake compared to other, so it's a bit irregular here and there.

But its an epic and well structured take on the source.

As I was reading through comments, I've noticed on page 1 that Protricity is banned... really?!.

I mean, I don't know the story, but it's too bad, as he's got talent.

Anyway, nice 'Haunted Chase' remix.

• 6 months later...

I love all of Protricity's Donkey Kong stuff; I think this might have been the first i heard... maybe even one of the first ReMixes I ever listened to actually... and weh, was I in awe.

I was anxious to hear this one especially, I've always remembered the Haunted Chase music because I used to be kinda scared about the Haunted Hall level (those damn ghost-skeleton-Kremling things always laughing evilly at you and such... even now, I shiver at the thought).

All reminiscing aside (sort of), I think this ReMix conveys the atmosphere of that level perfectly, perhaps even better than the original? methinks so.

Also, props to Prot for the ass-kicking solos.

The thing I love about Protricity is the utter sense of respect he seems to have for the DKC2 soundtrack, and as a result the songs all end up feeling very true to the source but cranked all the way up to 11. This one's no exception, I love the rock/synth/orchestral hybrid, and the percussion during some of the breakdowns too. Whatever instrument you've got going at 1:41 and again later in the snog is my favorite part, though, it fits so well with the urgent mood of the rest of the song.

Killer work! :-D

Very industrial feel to start off, which is very appropriate given the source. Things kick in with the beat very nicely, keeping the energy flowing. Prot has a reputation for great arrangements and production and this is no different. One weak point in this song is the unrealistic brass samples, which are lower quality compared to most of the other elements. It's not to the point where it's really distracting as a listener, so I can live with it. Particularly good use of synth/samples guitar-ish sounds, which is VERY tricky to get right without recording them live. Good stuff here.

• 1 month later...

So dark and machine-like, I love it! The guitar solo just sends this over the edge of pretty awesome to unbelievable! It still keeps the haunting feeling of the original and drives it into a wild spinning combo of haunted house, factory, and James Bond chase scene images. Whoo, thumbs up! Hands down, one of my top 3 Prot. mixes.

• 1 month later...

Some balance changes would make this even stronger, but as-is, it's pretty great. I love the different style changes throughout but the overall feel was maintained. The solo was a little too much over the top, but the energy behind it was certainly there. There's a ton of great details in this that make it stand apart from other mixes.

A great track overall, check it out for sure. :-)

• 11 months later...

I forget how exactly I came by this song originally, but I had it saved and forgotten in a random directory on my computer since August 2006 until I really got into ocremix a couple of years ago.

Still one of my absolute favorites.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00980 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Assembly Line Apparitions"