Cuil vs. Google

Liontamer

Aight, so for anyone that's not seen yet, new search engine hotness Cuil ("cool") officially launched yesterday, founded by some ex-Googlers.

Did some searches on it though, and, at least right now, it sucks.

From their info page:

Rather than rely on superficial popularity metrics, Cuil searches for and ranks pages based on their content and relevance. When we find a page with your keywords, we stay on that page and analyze the rest of its content, its concepts, their inter-relationships and the page’s coherency.

Then we offer you helpful choices and suggestions until you find the page you want and that you know is out there.

Let's take VG composer Tim Follin for example. I guess I shouldn't complain, since OCR is the first result...and the sixth...and the tenth. :lol: But Cuil pulls up images it's obtained from God knows where in order to spice up the results, and the images frequently have jack to do with anything and aren't obtained from the resulting site in the first place.

Half the time, it doesn't even pull up useful stuff. It ends up giving top results from a lot of shitty, out-of-date sites that just spider Wikipedia.

I'm sure they're going to work on improving the search results, but I gotta say, if it's gonna stay like this vs. Google's "reliance on superficial popularity metrics", give me the superficial popularity metrics any day.

I think competition is good. Also, what's the point of critiquing a brand new search engines? They are almost never good when they first start. Google was horrible in its first year or so.

That would be quite the valid point if the company's hype wasn't that it was a better search engine than Google from day one on account of indexing more pages. Of course, we haven't heard anything official from Cuil yet reacting to this disaster, but they've pretty much have to say what you just said in order to save any face now.

I searched high and low for a Super Mario RPG rom on Yahoo. I was just about out of hope when I thought "Wait a sec...maybe, just maybe, Google will have one if I look hard enough..." First page, first article, there it was. Google will forever be my greatest love.

Screw that...quil...cueel? Yeah, like that'll catch on.

I agree, the name is kind of a loser from a marketing standpoint. When you have to explain how to pronounce it you lose steam imho. I really don't like the layout either - it looks like a wall of advertisements to me. I will say though that the predictive text is nice as well as having the option to click to the next page without having to scroll all the way to the bottom.

Aight, so for anyone that's not seen yet, new search engine hotness Cuil ("cool") officially launched yesterday, founded by some ex-Googlers.

Did some searches on it though, and, at least right now, it sucks.

Agreed. I tried it from work today, and I was not impressed. Most of the images that came up had nothing to do with what I was searching. Maybe Cuil will improve over time, but Google is my top pick for now.

um... Why?

Could someone tell me why there is a need for another search device? Maybe I just dont understand search engines, but Google works fine for me and about everyone else out there... and I can say it aloud with out a problem.. I guess I can see some potential for business but.... really..

um... Why?

Could someone tell me why there is a need for another search device? Maybe I just dont understand search engines, but Google works fine for me and about everyone else out there... and I can say it aloud with out a problem.. I guess I can see some potential for business but.... really..

Google has roughly 40-45% of the market share regarding search engines.

That's one company, one process, one algorithm, one idea assuming a commanding lead in the market.

It's pretty easy to chip away at something that large without being noticed. By the time you are a threat, it's too late to stop you.

Not saying that Cuil is in any position to de-throne Google anytime soon, but I would assume this is the reasoning behind it's founders.

I can guarantee you'll start to hear about it more from various alterna-geeks. Google is everyone's friend -- some people will go against it just for the sake of being different. You put a good marketing strategy behind that, and you could settle in quite nicely.

Yeah I don't think I like this search engine.

I decided to search for myself just to see what it came up with. The very first result was a page that included my full name, my home address, my home phone number, my age, my last job, and a map with accurate directions to my house. You know, just in case someone wanted to kill me in my sleep. I'm not usually a paranoid, or even very private person, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Also it seems to be really inconsistent because I just searched again and now the first result is my OCR remixer profile.

Yeah I don't think I like this search engine.

I decided to search for myself just to see what it came up with. The very first result was a page that included my full name, my home address, my home phone number, my age, my last job, and a map with accurate directions to my house. You know, just in case someone wanted to kill me in my sleep. I'm not usually a paranoid, or even very private person, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Also it seems to be really inconsistent because I just searched again and now the first result is my OCR remixer profile.

So you're telling me I can type that name right there and find out where you live?

Edit: Damn. I don't see it. (well, it's not like i was going to visit you.. .......yes...well-played, yousef..... must get him off of our tracks... and ourselves some donuts... and ... what's that? .....but i've grown so fond of agua de jamaica........ fine, you get the horchata and i'll take the jamaica... no, i won't let you have a sip this time.....pay attention! you're looking foolish right now.)

I did a search for "cuil", and was given a geography lesson, however in the first 13 pages of search results I skimmed over, not once did I see the webpage of the search engine itself listed.

I mean, I know what I'm going to find when I google Google...

If your going to start a search engine, then you might as well list yourself...

EDIT:

Cuil is an old Irish word for knowledge. For knowledge, ask Cuil.

Ah, I suppose that's why I got the geography lesson.