Line 6 Guitar processing for cheap!

Line 6's Gearbox Gold plugin system used to cost over $500. It's basically a PODxt ($299) with Metal, Classic, FX Junkie, and Bass model packs ($50 each) as well as classic mic preamp models in plugin form. This is now on sale for a ridiculous price. $99 gets you all of this and a USB interface. Anyone who was thinking of getting a POD, look into this crazy deal!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GearBox-PlugIn-Gold-Bundle?sku=706521

Just to clarify, you need a computer around to make use of this, so if you're expecting to walk off with a new piece of stage gear and have a desktop, this isn't the deal for you; buy a real PodXT instead.

That said, I have a PodXT and love what it does. I use it for keyboard effects and I've just scratched the surface.

This thread *is* about the software counterpart.

Any effects unit can be applied to any audio signal (assuming you have the right connections). You may not get a particularly useful result, but there's nothing stopping you from putting distortion on violin samples or a phaser on a piccolo.

You can think of effects as a transformation: an audio signal comes in, something is done to it, and another audio signal is sent out. No reason why this can't really apply to things in general.

I know how effects work. You took my question about keyboards too literally; I meant whether these effects were meant for or made sense to use on keyboard sounds.

I didn't realize it was software though. When Sixto compared it to a PODxt I assumed it was hardware.

I know how effects work. You took my question about keyboards too literally; I meant whether these effects were meant for or made sense to use on keyboard sounds.

I didn't realize it was software though. When Sixto compared it to a PODxt I assumed it was hardware.

It is. It's both; it's a Toneport. You plug your guitar into the tiny box, and then run a USB line from the box into your computer.

Then you open the software package and voila.

Oh, sorry for the wrong explanation then. Yes, effects are common on keyboards. It's rare, at least outside the straight-ahead jazz world, to hear an unprocessed Rhodes. Deep Purple got their organ sound by running the B3 through a Marshal stack with heavy distortion. Guitarists will probably get more mileage out of something like this, and it's not as common to see a keyboard setup with 8 or 10 effects all used at once, but this would be quite useful.

It is. It's both; it's a Toneport. You plug your guitar into the tiny box, and then run a USB line from the box into your computer.

Then you open the software package and voila.

The hardware is just an audio interface though, and isn't useful for anything when not plugged into a computer. And if I remember correctly, the software can be used both standalone and as a VST plugin, so if you already have an audio interface, you should be able to use the software without the hardware. I just meant that it wasn't a hardware-only solution like the PodXT.

The hardware is just an audio interface though, and isn't useful for anything when not plugged into a computer. And if I remember correctly, the software can be used both standalone and as a VST plugin, so if you already have an audio interface, you should be able to use the software without the hardware. I just meant that it wasn't a hardware-only solution like the PodXT.

Right, this is purely for recording on a computer; not for use in any live situation.

Does anyone have recommendations for a POD-like, small effects module simply for live acoustic? Just something with reverb, eq, delay, and maybe some modulation effects? Or maybe something built for both electric and acoustic...

edit: OK, getting all of that stuff in one unit is expensive as hell. Any recommendations on just a reverb unit?

Mine just got here today. I'll track a few lead samples and post shortly.

Protip: Don't bother with the preprogrammed settings (if there are any in the toneport). I can guarantee you that they are all 100% complete and total crap.

Every Line6 user knows this. Also, the Line6 tone exchange is about 90% crap, to get the good stuff you have to hit google and search for specific patches/sounds, engineer them yourself, or visit guitar forums that have specific forums dedicated to this stuff.