Final Fantasy 9 'You're Not Alone Orchestral' (submit?)

SSB

it's gold, which is taking quite a hit on my ram

Yes I can understand that. The same thing happens on my computer: 3.6 gig p4, 4 gig ram, 32 bit system. I may be able to give you some tips but first tell me what sequencer you are using: Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.... Also tell me what sample loader you're using: Kompakt player, Kontakt2, Gigastudio, etc..

Yes I can understand that. The same thing happens on my computer: 3.6 gig p4, 4 gig ram, 32 bit system. I may be able to give you some tips but first tell me what sequencer you are using: Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.... Also tell me what sample loader you're using: Kompakt player, Kontakt2, Gigastudio, etc..

I'm using FL Studio with kompakt player. it's what it installed with by default. My biggest problem is that I'm not familiar enough with the technology to accommodate my arrangement ideas :(

One of the damning things about synths is that sustained notes aren't so great. There is no blend, correct vibrato, or other environmental factors that can enhance the sound.

That said, what you might want to get rid of those sustains in the harmony and make them move around more.

For example, the bassoon is often playing whole notes for the bass line when it could be playing counterpoint. If you're looking for a good bass instrument, look no further than pizzicato basses on the downbeats. It seems this piece is harmonically-driven so you might want to have more in the ways of ostinatos before 1:48 such as harp, more pizz bass, and other instruments playing staccatos figures like the one you began with at 0:08.

The fast violins at 1:48 are good, but the bass line leaves much to be desired. For one it could be deeper (basses down the octave), and the sustained brass could be a lot more rhythmic, probably with timpani doubling.

2:22 is good, but again it's a great opportunity for pizz bass instead of long notes.

There seems to be a wrong harmony at 3:02, or it's wrongly voiced.

At 3:12 there's an even better opportunity to use pizzicato so you don't get texture-fatigued. Also, don't forget to use the winds as much as you can, even if they're just doubling the strings.

I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a climax at 3:32 but it could definitely be louder going into the pause with lots more timpani.

You might want to recheck those harmonies at 3:56 because there are some notes that sound out of place.

4:15 again has those long notes in the bass that are very distracting. This is the perfect time to reiterate that rhythm from 0:08 in the basses, cellos and violas. Good bassline at 5:42.

Are you a Vaughan Williams fan?

Ah thanks for that feedback. I don't get too much of that. I'll take a lot of that into account for sure. And I wish I could say I was a Vaughan Williams fan, but I just haven't found many places that i can listen to a variety of orchestral stuff.

A lot of the sameness in texture is due to the fact that I'm probably using these samples wrong, as trying to load in a pizzicato sound with all the other stuff causes me to use too much ram and break the program.

When it comes to using too much RAM: Freeze tracks. It takes a lot of extra time to finish your song that way, but that way you can use quality samples to the extreme.

Other than that there's this:

2:22 You're using an oboe sample that has a gradual crescendo to it for the entire melody line. You could seperate the track there in notes that need crescendo and those that don't and then use 2 different samples for them. It's tricks like that that can make the difference between something sounding good or something sounding awesome.

Before submitting this I'd recommend comparing your own mix with the 7 other You're not alone Remixes. Well, or maybe just with Tuba Lin's Shepherd Won't Alone. 'Cause that's what the judges will be doing. It's that level of quality you should be aiming for. I've made the mistake several times as well to make a mix of a certain quality that was passable, weren't it for the huge amounts of remixes already made for it. It's just how the judges view Remixes. The more remixes there are of song, the lower your chances are of getting a YES.

I don't want to demotivate you, but just keep that in mind. Your arrangement AND production need to be awesome to get this one a yes.

Hmmm...

Gold is definitely capable of sounding better than this. Try playing some of the instruments by hand as the piece sounds far too sequenced and mechanical to me. Also, I agree that you may be using some of these patches incorrectly.. it sounds like you're using legato patches for some of the staccato motifs and some of the string patches are too slow for such fast attacks. Gold has a nice arsenal of fast / short articulations that would be far more suited for that fast type of writing. Lastly, be sure to utilize the timpani and Gold's stage mic'd wagner bass drum to accent the hits towards the end of the cue, it's too tinny at the moment and needs more bass.

If memory is an issue, don't be afraid to do the song in sections or layers. It takes some time to do, as does freezing, but it will give you more of a realistic sound and allow you to utilize Gold to its fullest extent. Solid arrangement though, nice work.

Rich

Yeah. Like I said, if I had the technical know-how here, I'd load up every possible sample for every kind of articulation and attack and sustain and whatever, but i'm at the point that i CAN'T. If I do, the program crashes.

I'll resort to exporting parts as wav if I have to. I'd like to play the parts live, but my midi controller has a strange problem where it places everything slightly early. I guess I could just move it manually, but I just have so many technical issues I want not to worry about it. I hate these violin sounds, for example, but these were the only ones out of the whole library that I could find with a good enough attack to let me do fast sections that wouldn't use up too many resources.