Donkey Kong Country 'Mines' (Collab)

HoboKa

This is a really awesome mix! I'm left craving for more...

I've got nothing to comment, besides that this is splendid work. Although I do feel like the Piano at 2:50 and 3:10 tend to sound too robotic. The rest is just all good.

Definitely worth keeping track of... Subscription... Set... Activate!

This is a really awesome mix! I'm left craving for more...

I've got nothing to comment, besides that this is splendid work. Although I do feel like the Piano at 2:50 and 3:10 tend to sound too robotic. The rest is just all good.

Definitely worth keeping track of... Subscription... Set... Activate!

there's a lot that needs tweaking and better samples, so its still in its infancy for now. Thanks for the comment Arty ^^

Rho and I've been working on this mix for DKC; it's Winky's mines. Personally I think that the part up to 1:06 is kinda meh, but the rest imo is pretty good :P

Rho did the melody work and support melodies, I helped to build the atmosphere, beat and chord structures.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/etha/dkcminemoreclayv1b8-2-

I agree with you; the build-up at the beginning is boring and doesn't feel right in comparison to the rest of the song.

I also feel very muddy after listening to the first half; the instruments aren't blending as they should. In particular, the long held notes are fighting the moving lines more often than not. Held notes should have presence, but not power. (I hope that makes sense; I'm speaking in vague musician terms now.)

I think there's a great minimalist lead-atmosphere piece here, akin to Radiowar's "Lanterns"; maybe remove some instruments and give the melody lines to a select few, then let the rest of the writing (drums, backgrounds, etc.) carry the song. Right now, every instrument in the song is fighting for dominance, and it makes me go :(.

The arrangement is great, by the way. (lol @ me getting caught up)

The lack of a clear lead in the soundscape is a temporary issue. Once everything is written, I'll mix it to push stuff into the foreground as I see fit. I doubt we'll remove much, but we'll certainly mix it more clear than this. A lot of backing tracks are gonna end up as ambience for a lot of the time. Mud, presence, and lead should all spring out of the mixing process, we're still arranging.

Special thanks for the comment on the piano, DJA, since that was one of my parts. Humanization is something I've spent some time doing on some of the tracks in this, but I don't recall humanizing the piano. Thanks for bringing it up.

Thanks y'all for the feedback. Much of it is stuff we agree with, some we were already aware of, and a little was stuff that we either forgot or never paid enough attention to.

I actually like the intro very very much.. I like the whole structure - there's a calm intro filled with expectancy and a sense of wonder, then the middle part with all the action (esp. the drumming), and then the less busy last part.

Perhaps the intro could use some additional, very subtle variation.. not necessarily more instruments, but for instance some fiddling with filter settings of the synth, making it "open" more slowly every now and then etc..

A very promising track I very much hope to hear finished.

--Eino