First Live Orchestral OC ReMix Posted

Liontamer

OC ReMix Posts First Live Orchestral VGM Arrangement from University of Manitoba

By: Larry Oji, larryoji@ocremix.org

August 4, 2008

Fairfax, VA -- OverClocked ReMix today announced the release of its first live orchestral video game fan arrangement, by University of Manitoba graduate Paul Levasseur. The ReMix arranges a piece from Michiko Naruke's score to Wild Arms, published in 1997 by Sony for the PlayStation console. Levasseur's 'A Symphonic Tale' was performed by the University of Manitoba Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Jackie Dawson; the piece was approved for performance by Orchestra director Earl Stafford after being asked to critique Levasseur's arrangement.

OverClocked ReMix is a community centered around fan arrangements of video game music, with over 1500 such mixes freely available for download. OC ReMix founder David W. Lloyd praised Levasseur's skill for composition alongside the stirring performance of the orchestra: "I find that in the vast spectrum of music, there is a certain range of emotions, power, and impact that only a live symphony orchestra can capture... When done right, of course. Paul's done it right, without doubt, and the University of Manitoba has given him all he could have asked for - an awesome performance of his arrangement."

The ReMix is freely available online at http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01737/.

Since submitting his piece to OverClocked ReMix, Levasseur has completed his studies in Music Composition, with a minor in Cello. He now moves onto the University of British Columbia, where he will pursue a graduate degree in Music Composition. Levasseur expressed his desire to continue his work with orchestras: "If you are lucky, this won't be the last from me. Hopefully a professional orchestra takes notice so that I don't have to keep forking out money for recordings."

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation, preservation, and interpretation of video game music. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring hundreds of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

Links

And Jeremy Soule's was done... not live, correct? Like a studio recording?

At any rate this is some new territory for OCR - a pretty continuous trend of new feats/accomplishments/areas/etc. throughout the past few years. Cool.

But why is eStarland still "Temporarily out of stock" of/on OCR merchandise? I have no choice but to listen to such groundbreaking remixes all nekkid n stuff. Sure, it makes the experience all the more sensual, but c'mon now, this is pretty much free money for you that I can't throw your way, and I'm developing three kinds of pneumonia..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That sounds quite enjoyable. If I didn't have to work in 45 minutes, I'd go home and listen to groundbreaking remixes all nekkid n stuff right now.

Have you given it further contemplation since then? Perhaps even a short foray - a couple minutes of groundbreakery are all it takes to significantly turn my day around, but your mileage may vary.