F-Zero 'Mute City Mix'

Sounds a lot like some of my second-app tunes (way back) using tracker software, both style and sound choices. Makes me want to try that style again. :D

It's a bit too far from source. I'm recognizing little bits and pieces, but never heard "the theme". Since the chords are already there, throw in the melody on top. The arrangement is fine, aside from the lack of theme, but the sounds aren't very advanced, and the mixing isn't close to good. Sorry. As for the arrangement, it felt like too much intro without hearing anything substantial, so throw in a snippet of the melody somewhere in there. And the whole thing, remodeled or not later.

Some of the sound choices need their cutoff controlled by an envelope, some need ambience (reverb, delays, stereo spread), some need some serious EQ tweaking. Drums could use compression, and the kick could use a bit of a boost. Compare it to some remixes on the site for some idea of how synths should sound.

Actually, that's the best advice I can give you. Stylistic choices aside, listen to recent remixes on OCR, and listen to their sound, the individual bits, how it's all mixed together.

I'd love to hear something in this style on OCR, but you're not yet at a point where you can do it. However, the ideas in this sound pretty good, and the arrangement overall is far from the midi rips that sometimes appear on the wip board, so you've got at least part of what it takes atm, and I have no doubt you'll be able to get further. Work on the sounds and the mixing, and you'll have taken one giant leap towards making great music.

• 4 weeks later...