JamSpace at MAGFest M7.

Escariot

Alright, a couple people have been putting information about what they're bringing to JamSpace, and suggested that someone make a thread, so I figured I'd follow up from last year, and create the thread.

JamSpace @ MAGFest M7

December 31, 2008 - January 4, 2009

Yes, that's right. As we're planning it, JamSpace will be starting up a day early, and we're going to have a JamSpace New Year's bash. We're also going to be in the same room we were in last time. Waay down the hall next to the LAN guys.

Please post here if you plan on bringing some equipment and label public (anybody can play at any time) or private (only you or when you're in the room).

Also in store, we're planning a couple more JamSpace events, and are planning our shifts to keep the room open 24/7. Events will come in following updates.

PRIVATE:

WHILE IN THE ROOM:

Geoffrey Taucer: Two electric guitars, Wah pedal, Tubescreamer.

audio fidelity: Bass guitar.

NOBODY ELSE PLAYS OR UNCONFIRMED:

RealFolkBlues: Djembe

ToN: Alto saxophone

SiMV: (possible) Trombone

Ramalicious: Trumpet

prophet of mephisto: Alto sax.

PUBLIC:

Dom: Yamaha Mo8 Keyboard

BardicKnowledge: Mandolin

GeoffreyTaucer: Fuzz Pedal

I will be bringing at least one, possibly two electric guitars (both off-limits for use when I'm not in the room). Probably bring irish whistles, but I'll most likely carry those with me rather than leave them at jamspace.

I also may bring a wah-wah pedal, a tweak fuzz pedal, and a modded tubescreamer (the tweak fuzz can be public, but the rest I don't want anybody using while I'm not there)

SO, I say we jam to toejam and earl and magus again. And perhaps mystic cave from sonic 2 as well (that song makes me wish I played bass)

Bringing an Edirol UA4FX for hooking up instruments to a laptop and through FL Studio (I think I heard bustatunez brought one last year).

Of course, I'm still looking for people to room with, so if anyone has any spots and think they could squeeze me in, please let me know!

I'm bringing a camera and a computer to record onto. Basically I want to be recording video constantly. (This isn't exactly something everyone would need to know about, but it'll produce better videos than "macbook held above head" (you know who you are (both of you))).

I believe Kroze is bringing his camera... and I think he *may* be leaving his HD cam in the JamSpace room 24/7... Not sure...

should we start taking requests and putting together groups?

Not so much on taking requests. The way the open mic concert works is that you get a group together, sign up, and list the songs that you will be playing. Open mic slots are limited time, so choose the songs your group can play best.

- on another note...how long can i comfortably wait to to register and get a room with someone?

You can register "at-the-door" for $45 this year, so the registration isn't really an issue. The only problem with at-the-door is that you don't usually have rooming plans ahead of time. If you're going to wait as long as possible, make tentative plans to room with someone that wouldn't be too greatly affected by your non-presence, should you not be able to show up.

Not so much on taking requests. The way the open mic concert works is that you get a group together, sign up, and list the songs that you will be playing. Open mic slots are limited time, so choose the songs your group can play best.

so i get that you guys have major vg bands play...but i figured that was separate from jamspace. i'm just not clear when you say open mic like there are other things going on with that room.

signing up and saying what your gonna play sounds good to me. but i surely won't have material thats been rehearsed with a group...maybe's its different for others. i just was putting myself out there for people that wanted to get some songs worked out ahead of time and see what could happen at jamspace. i am kinda support (bass) so i can't really be citing or pushing specific songs or genres. this whole thing sounds like a lot of fun, and i know there are some serious players out there, so who's ever interested in putting something together count me in.

SO, I say we jam to toejam and earl and magus again. And perhaps mystic cave from sonic 2 as well (that song makes me wish I played bass)

i am all for mystic cave. i never really played toejam and earl so not as familiar with the tunes, but the grooves are great. i can just go from the bumpin ocr mix or let me know what which songs to check out.

some thoughts. if your gonna have a tin whistle lets gets some more yasunori happening. kokoro form xenosaga and two wings from xenogears come to mind. female vocals in japanese would be nice too. oh well. and how about about home world from chrono cross. i know your pretty adept at acoustic.

i would also love to do a version of onett.

we'll have to talk on aim or irc.

i am all for mystic cave. i never really played toejam and earl so not as familiar with the tunes, but the grooves are great. i can just go from the bumpin ocr mix or let me know what which songs to check out.

Toejammin'

some thoughts. if your gonna have a tin whistle lets gets some more yasunori happening. kokoro form xenosaga and two wings from xenogears come to mind. female vocals in japanese would be nice too. oh well. and how about about home world from chrono cross. i know your pretty adept at acoustic.

Dunno kokoro that well, but I'd love to do just about anything from Xenogears, Chrono Cross, or Chrono Trigger. It would be great if we could throw together a full celtic ensemble.

(I'm hoping Darangen, Level 99, and Luiza will all show up again this year, so we can do more acoustic jammin' like the last couple years.)

so i get that you guys have major vg bands play...but i figured that was separate from jamspace. i'm just not clear when you say open mic like there are other things going on with that room.

We are separate from the other bands... The concert room is reserved for band performances. What I meant was like... for example, since Taucer mentioned it... I'll say that tentatively, Taucer, myself, Shnab (if he shows up), and someone on bass (you?) will be doing a Toejam and Earl and possible a Magus theme... That's the kind of thing. The idea of the room is to keep it like 24/7 jamming... no real rehearsal beforehand.

(I'm hoping Darangen, Level 99, and Luiza will all show up again this year, so we can do more acoustic jammin' like the last couple years.)

omg, if this happens, please look for me. I wanna be there for that. whatever the case, I totally wanna do some kind of acoustic jam thing with you at some point.

and of course, I'll be trolling the jamspace to rock out whenever those drums are available. Speaking of which, will the v-drums be coming back?

Speaking of which, will the v-drums be coming back?

Equipment availability as far as stuff we rented is unknown. I'm really hoping the V-Drums will be back. I'm assuming Dom is bringing his keyboard again, and I'm pretty sure we're going to have the same/similar PA setup...

EDIT: Just got word from Dom... Yes, we are in fact having the V-Drums back.

Equipment availability as far as stuff we rented is unknown. I'm really hoping the V-Drums will be back. I'm assuming Dom is bringing his keyboard again, and I'm pretty sure we're going to have the same/similar PA setup...

EDIT: Just got word from Dom... Yes, we are in fact having the V-Drums back.

Sweet. The MO8 too? (not sure whose that was)

If I can somehow get away with taking it on the airplane I'll bring my electric and multieffects box. If not, I'll bring some smaller stuff, like mandolin or a melodica or something.

I'd really like to bring my EP or workstation, but somehow I don't see being able to take that on the plane. Unless someone wants to organize a cross-country carpool or something.

I'd totally be down for some ToeJam & Earl.

Also, will there be JamSpace concerts again? Because that was funtimes last year.

• 2 weeks later...

The Yamaha Mo8 keyboard is mine, and will definitely be back.

I CAN'T WAIT TO JAM OUT AGAIN.

Jamspace is hosting like 5 main things this year:

0) SUPERSECRET New Year's Eve Party

1) Chiptunes concert (Late thursday night)

2) Open Mic concert (probably Saturday morning) - sign up ahead of time if you want to play

3) Industry concert - any of the composers attending that would like to play, can

4) Open jam when nothing else is going on (which is 90% of the time)

The open mic concert is basically the same thing as open jam, except it has a specific date and time attached to it. The main idea is that if a random band or 7 comes to Magfest and wants to play, they can give an exact time to people as to when they'll be playing.

Chiptunes is chiptunes. Virt and Spamtron will hopefully be rocking it out again.

Industry concert is for videogame composers. So far, at least Richard Jacques - Sonic R soundtrack/ Mass Effect/ others - will be playing. I'm hoping to rope more people in.

SUPERSECRET New Year's Eve Party is a bunch of sets that will take place on Dec 31, 2008 from e.g. 8pm until way into the morning. We have the Fatman and his band Captains of the Chess Team playing. Also, other bands and people might play. This is going to be a real treat so get out early and help us in our guerilla attempts to extend Magfest into a 5 day event. (This party is going to be AWESOME, trust me.)

-Dom

Industry concert is for videogame composers. So far, at least Richard Jacques - Sonic R soundtrack/ Mass Effect/ others - will be playing. I'm hoping to rope more people in.

Can we play with said composers if they can't bring enough people to play themselves?

If so, the already significant awesomeness levels are going to double.