Donkey Kong Country

samurai_of_plague

As a somewhat off topic side note, I'm a bit surprised by the Disney platformer hate. I really loved Aladdin (the SNES version, never played the Genesis one), and Lion King wasn't that bad either. I had a fun time playing Mickey's Magical quest too.

\

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the SNES version of Aladdin. It is garbage. Pure, complete, and total garbage.

Aladdin is one of the very rare circumstances in which the Genesis is not just better than the SNES version, but it blows it completely out of the water.

It's just NO competition. It's appalling how bad the SNES version is.

Do yourself a favor, get rid of the SNES version of Aladdin. It is garbage. Pure, complete, and total garbage.

Aladdin is one of the very rare circumstances in which the Genesis is not just better than the SNES version, but it blows it completely out of the water.

It's just NO competition. It's appalling how bad the SNES version is.

i hear this a lot, and i'm always surprised.

the SNES version of aladdin was always my absolute favorite and i just couldn't get into the genesis version at all. a lot of people say that one is better than the other, but most don't articulate exactly why. what is it about that version that makes it so much better?

Also, above average? What IS the average? It's not like elements of games, such as platforming, charm and music scores, could actually be objectively MEASURED in terms of the quality of the content. Any attempt at doing so would be subjective.

You know...I'm not sure. I guess if the game got a 6, or 7, it (and everything in it, like music and graphics) should be considered average?

i hear this a lot, and i'm always surprised.

the SNES version of aladdin was always my absolute favorite and i just couldn't get into the genesis version at all. a lot of people say that one is better than the other, but most don't articulate exactly why. what is it about that version that makes it so much better?

Because the SNES version is half finished? It's missing tons of levels, the gameplay is slower and less smooth.

The only thing better is the soundtrack.

You know...I'm not sure. I guess if the game got a 6, or 7, it (and everything in it, like music and graphics) should be considered average?

4.5-5.5 is usually seen as average in reviews. 7 is generally regarded as good, with 8 and above being very good/great. 3 or lower is just seen as garbage, with 4 and 6 being a bit below/above average.

At least, that's how I remember the scores being labeled.

Because the SNES version is half finished? It's missing tons of levels, the gameplay is slower and less smooth.

i never completed the genesis version, so i didn't know it was missing levels...the dungeon level and the one with the camel are the only two i can remember that weren't in the other, but that was only in the first few minutes of the game. if i'd kept on, i'm sure i would've spotted a lot more. the SNES version is really short, yeah, but i actually really liked that about it.

i can't attest to the slower pace of gameplay, but i find that i like slower gameplay overall. either way, it just seemed like the SNES version had more polish and visual pizazz. petty as it is, i also remember hating having something on all four corners of the HUD too.

DKC was the first game I owned, but not the first I played. I still pick the trilogy up when the mood strikes me, though the first in the series definitely has not aged well. The rest of Nintendo has yet to fall away, but DK's been dead to me since 1996. Every other game bearing his name has just been a solemn reminder of better times.

If the same Nintendo that continues to put out all these casual games can release Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby Super Star Ultra, then they can damn well develope DKC4. But you know what? DK without David Wise just isn't DK.

Try telling THAT to Iwata. I'd kill for the chance, believe me.

But even so... How much more advertising will Wii Music receive over both of the afformentioned titles? They will not be advertised, and thus they will not sell over the casual game of the month. Hell, Nintendo practically signs their checks with the $250 copies of Wii Sports that keep selling out, if you catch my drift.

But... then I can't blame them, either. I simply have to look at myself to see why Nintendo is taking the road they have been:

I play Pokemon more than any other game these days, but even then I only play once every so many days. Weeks, maybe. I work, I am a busy man, life is bigger than the task of breeding a better Shellder.

Nintendo's big hardcore audience? They're grown up; too old and busy to keep them afloat. They make the casual games because they're trying to market to not only the kids of today, but the rest of the human race that missed out on gaming while the world turned. They might throw us a bone or two from time to time, but the truth of the matter is that if they DON'T stop selling games to us, then they will sink.

Sure is a unique situation that they've got themselves into, huh? And yet, if they went down the path their competition has, they would have failed... maybe for the last time.

Every game with good graphics is overrated. When it comes out, people piss their pants like it's the best thing ever, then about 10 years later, everyone complains that it sucks. This is nothing new.

By the way, I loved DKC back in the day, and I still do. Yeah, it's overrated, but overrated != bad.

EDIT: Also, in regards to Aladdin for the SNES... I absolutely love that game. I haven't played the Genesis version however. Maybe it would be more appropriate to say the the Genesis version was 100x better, rather than that the SNES version was garbage. I know a lot of other people who really liked that game for the SNES.

Nintendo's big hardcore audience? They're grown up; too old and busy to keep them afloat. They make the casual games because they're trying to market to not only the kids of today, but the rest of the human race that missed out on gaming while the world turned. They might throw us a bone or two from time to time, but the truth of the matter is that if they DON'T stop selling games to us, then they will sink.

You make some really good points, and yes times have changed... but it's not like the DKC series only appeals to the minority. Remember, DKC almost sold 10 million copies, which is still more than each Halo game. It's also a game that didn't enjoy such expansive markets that exist today, so although Halo's numbers will increase, the comparison isn't merely academic.

source

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

If the same Nintendo that continues to put out all these casual games can release Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby Super Star Ultra, then they can damn well develope DKC4.

That's placing a lot of faith in Nintendo that they can simulate the unique craftsmanship of mid-90's Rare...

I appreciate your nonconventional train of thought. I never thought about it that way. That said, I believe you're underestimating the modern hardcore audience. I'm sure there's more people like you and me then you're giving credit for.