OCR01739 - Super Metroid "Kindred"

djpretzel

Wow, you did great with this. I never like mixes with vocals, but this is different. Maybe its the singer, maybe its the extremely well done mix that is so ambient and sexy it hurts. Maybe it's the bells, I love bells.

Point is, I love this. A++ will listen again

Dude... I can't believe this was posted today. I cried like a baby. hahaha THANK YOU SO MUCH PIXIETRICKS AND ZIRCON FOR MAKING AN AMAZING SONG FOR JORDAN AND TAKING ON MY REQUEST! :] When Darkesword gave me the album and looked at the artwork, I FLIPPED out when I saw you were number 28. It's like 'save the best for last.' hahaha The song brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

djpretzel... Thank you too for OCR... I'm so thankful I found it in 2001... This site has been a neverending gift to me.

Not bad, not bad at all. In fact, considering the time-frame of the "Get Well" project, it's a pretty amazing feat.

I can see how structurally similar this is to "Red July" as you mentioned, zircon. I don't mind as long as you manage to make it sound different, which you did obviously. A very nice combination of ambient and industrial sounds...trademark zircon, indeed. You also pay a lot of homage to Yamamoto's style of composition for the Metroid series. Fits like a glove all in all.

Jill's vocals are as entrancing as ever. Can't get enough of that voice. However, I wasn't really captivated by the lyrics, despite the good intentions of trying to convey Samus' perspective. "Dreaming Still" and "Lover Reef" remain as favorites of mine 'cause I felt this deep connection to the lyrics. Maybe I need to put this latest track on repeat so that it finally gets to me. Maybe I'm just too dense to get it. Maybe hardcore Metroid fans will feel the connection more than someone like me who started off with Fusion. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Yes, I contemplate too much. Bottom line: another nice Andy/Jill collab. Keep 'em coming, guys. And Jill, if you're free please try and make something up for VOCR3! :)

Heavy atmospheric fare, about par for the course with zircon, though that's not a bad thing in the slightest.

I am a bit curious about such a quick turnaround in the posting though, considering how long tracks are lingering in the panel. Does zirc get some special "straight to the site" privileges or something?

djpretzel can "direct post" a mix at any time - an option reserved only for submissions which clearly demonstrate they meet the site standards for arrangement and production. The judges panel is swamped enough as is, so it would be a pain to have to spend time voting on songs that will be unanimously passed. (zircon often gets direct posted because he's one of those remixers that has a very strong grasp on the site standards. But plenty of others are DP'ed as well!)

In this particular instance, Dave posted our mix quickly for two reasons: 1) The remix project for bLiNd was completed, and considering Jordan's rapid progress it makes more sense to announce the community effort sooner rather than later. 2) Our OCR panel at Otakon is coming up Saturday, and the song is going to be previewed among several others in a demo medley of games/genres we have on the site.

----

Andy and I are both really glad to have been a part of this coming together for bLiNd. He has given this community SO much, and deserves every bit of that back. I know it sounds cheesy, but just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about the people around here... they come out and surprise you with something as awesome as this project. I think we all need that reminder sometimes. :>

I enjoyed the ambient beginning. The sounds are really mixed well.

The first "not 100% perfect" personal gripe is that the vocals seem too fast.

My main gripe though is the chorus, as I guess I'm a purist when it comes to this song? Whatever, the rest is worthy. Only listened to once, shall probably listen in the future.

This was definitely a unique and interesting listen. The whole atmosphere and feel of the song was much different than one would come to expect, yet it's quality and sound were superb. And the most impressing part about it is that something this good was done within two days, which still completely boggles my mind. Great work, zircon and pixie! :wink:

If you'd told me this was made in two days after I listened to it, I wouldn't have believed you. I love the lyrics and all the little touches that make it so atmospheric, like the bubbling and quiet laugh.

This stage seemed to me like one of the most intimidating in Super Metroid, aesthetically, in part thanks to this source. Mellow, but evokes a sense of isolation. I think this remix really captures the original feel of the area.

I agree that it has some addictive qualities, I listed to it once then found myself reaching for it again about 10 minutes later, always a good sign :? . Vocal mixes can be hard to sell to me depending on the genre but pixietricks has always been the exception, this one being just as good. Still trying to wrap my head around the lyrics but hey, it sounds beautiful.

WOW. This gripped me right from the get go with that sick synth tone and the delicate melodic bells. And then ambient layers added upon each other. You just know it is going to be an awesome ride. And finally Jill's voice pierces the dark and the score is settled -- this mix will be a favorite of mine for a very long time.

Nice. Real nice.

I gave this one a listen almost as soon as it went up. It's really amazing, though being a zircon+pixietricks track, that was the expectation going in.

I'm sure this, along with the entire album, has made for a great gift to bLiNd. KF

Very awesome mix. I heard there were 27 other Metroid mixes made for Blind that will be released soon. Any idea where I could find these or where I could look for updates on this? Any news when a public release will be made?

Just keep an eye on this thread (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17154).

Once again, I am not disappointed. Zirc and pixie together is nothing short of excellence, and this is no exception. SUPERB work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01739 - Super Metroid "Kindred"