OCR01739 - Super Metroid "Kindred"

djpretzel

Pixie, I absolutely love your vocals. To me, when vocals are done correctly, they add so much more to a song, style, class, and yet another layer of depth. Zircon's interpretation of the Maridia main theme is spot on, with the edge that gives this music the rare property of having just as much depth as the area Maridia itself. You two brought together a piece from a game likely to recieve criticism, and you just nailed it.

A post-facto inclusion in the album would not be unheard of at this point, I think.

The fact that this was done in BLinD's time of need just adds so much more to it. You two seem to have worked wonderfully on this piece and brought forth a studio-class song. Bravo, Zircon, Pixie, Bravo.

Once again, Super Metroid provides some excellent source material. Both artists gave their best; zircon once again shows that he knows how to make a very atmospheric track (the bells, the bubbling and all the other noises in the background). Pixietrick's vocals add a lot; I was surprised at how well her singing communicates the source tune.

Amazing stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back and listening to this, it is beautiful. Zircon is among my favourites on OCR (Monstrous Turtles gets a LOT of play when I am cycling to work!) and with the addition of Pixie's haunting vocals... well, you remember how COOL you thought Evanescence were before you realised all their songs sound the darn same? Multiply that cool by the number of times you hit the fire button when you completed Super Metroid, and we're about there for how much I like this mix. My entire sock drawer considers itself rocked.

i don't want you to take this the wrong way, but im not much for this one, it's a great track with lots of potential - nice arrangements and good vocals, but it's just that it doesn't make me feeeeel THAT thing ..

super metroid is my favorite metroid and i usually bounce like crazy to everything from it... so this is really odd to me :|

i'll keep listening to your colabs anyway.. because im not a prejudiced guy :!:

Well I was waiting on listening to this (as metroid is something special for me) until the full album was released to us, but... well it's been a really long while now, so...I decided to finally go ahead and check it out anyway...

And this was a really well-done track! It sounds very professional and pixie's singing is flawless as far as I'm concerned! I also really liked the synths used for the main melody-line. This really isn't my kind of music to be honest, but I really enjoyed hearing Maridia covered. And even if the style isn't my particular cup of tea, it was executed fantastically - which is to say you took Maridia and changed the elements of the original style to perfectly fit this kind of music and make it something new (which is probably what Platonist was talking about too - it doesn't have the Metroid feel anymore because of its direction).

Any way we could see the lyrics (if they haven't already been posted somewhere)?

• 4 weeks later...

This is absolutely amazing, I've heard a few pretty creative lyrical songs here, but this one blows them all away in its integration. This melody stood out to me when playing Super Metroid as an awesomely atmospheric piece, so after checking out the Metroid Remix Project, I tried to find more remixes that are more focused on the melody without losing the atmosphere. I definitely found more than I was looking for here.

I frequently listen to New-Age songs on an internet radio site, and they have come to be one of my favorite genres. When a song achieves a full atmosphere, sublime ambiance, a terrific core melody, *and* solid vocals along with plenty of well-placed swells and an irresistible presentation, it very easily becomes one of my favorites. This song can compete with some of the professional pieces that I've run across and enjoyed, and that is saying quite a bit.

As for constructive crit. I really can't think of anything to say except that I would love to hear more like this. Lyrical remixes are rare, with everything being techno or trance. Its possibly because its hard to make a decent lyric to match the songs' feel, but you've nailed it. I think if there is anything to criticize, it would be something technical that I wouldn't be able to recognize or suggest.

Yeah, registered solely for the purpose to post feedback on some of these awesome remixes...:razz:

EDIT: Ahh, I did find something to criticize. I think the ending was a little abrupt, the last tone cutting it off was fine, but it came too soon after the lyrics. It should transition smoothly into the ending tone and never transition out if that's the effect you are shooting for.

As DJP said, the lyrics are elementary, but they are so amazing when sung by Jill's soft and angelic voice.

Talking about Jill's voice, it's actually an interesting variation, as this has to be the darkest atmosphere sounding ReMix I've heard from her yet, and she manages to keep the dark, wet, tense Maridia atmosphere superbly.

That is, of course accompanied by zircon's simple and airy, yet very effective composition.

It's amazing this could've been done in 48h, and it's still one of my all-time favorite ReMixes!

So to sum it all up: This is an amazing ReMix! Period. :-D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The more I listened to this mix, the more it struck me as very 80s in nature. Something about pixietricks' voice reminds me of a fusion of Heart, Eurythmics, and Stevie Nicks (particularly during the chorus).

The final chorus is just amazing, as all the pieces come together.

An incredible combination of talent.

• 2 months later...

I really like how minimal this mix is. It seems like the source rhythm is just softly present throughout the piece, but no part of the track loses any poignancy by being too loud or soft. Everything present is just in a good state of balance (metaphorical balance).

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01739 - Super Metroid "Kindred"