OCR01740 - Doom II "Red Waltz"

djpretzel

I supposed I should give my opinion on this remix.

I enjoy listening to this at work, it's very mellow and brooding which fit in well with the theme I was after in DQD. The violin work is great. The solo part towards the end of the mix was most impressive, especially since it was sequenced.

That said, I feel it wasn't close enough to the source to really be considered a remix of it. Like a few other people I had trouble hearing the source beyond the beginning of the mix. It's still a great mix, fitting well within the album, but could've been closer to pay more homage to the source.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude. I love this. I never want to hear the original because it will epically suck. I'm certain.

To me, the cello is painfully expressive even though there's this brooding sound all about it, and even though as a whole this piece, with those whips(!!) and odd castanets, alludes to one hell of a kinky, erotic and sadistic night in binding leather, nay, BECAUSE OF THIS KINKY ALLUSION, there is a desire to be freed and ultimately pleasured beyond recognition that makes me feel just great inside even though I'm crying on the outside from the physical trauma caused by the fact that your song delivers in so many fascinating and probably disturbing ways - so much so that I almost run-on-sentenced myself.

Btw. thanks.

edit: AND the solo makes for an excellent climax before that painful semi-non-percussion-solo before the song wraps up; the ending to me states something along the lines of, "Yes, this is how we do it. Whips and all. And you're gonna like it."

edit: that triangle (?) dinging after the solo = "Done." = "Next?"

edit: I'm not into BDSM. But if I were, I would probably use this music to really get "into" a "session."

• 4 months later...

Great sequencing throughout, it feels very vibrant and this is really how to make the most of good samples. It's a super expressive solo cello

When I think of DJP's mixes, I tend to think more of a funky sound, but it's pretty obvious he's gone into a ton of different musical directions over the years. However, I don't think any were as successful as this. I think the track gets better as it goes along, as the writing gets more sophisticated, and the melodies richer, and the little ding after the cadenza was awesome.

Recommended.

• 2 months later...

That cello is on FIYAHHHH! I love it. Reminds me a hell of a lot of the Sympathy for Lady Vengeance soundtrack, which is high praise indeed.

This is actually one of my favourite musical transformations of a source that I've heard in a while. Not only does it provide a mature, well-structured waltz with a killer melody line and fantastic sounding samples... what I'm really taken with is that djpretzel's name isn't written all over it. Gone are the tried and true (though aweseome) mannerisms and idiosynchrocies of pretzel's usual jive, to offer a temporary outer-pretzel experience.

Gotta love those deep tones and the intricate solo work that gradually quickens in pace. A lot of great elements in here, expertly combined and smoothed. May be a step outside of the box, but it's every bit as top-form as pretzel's best. Fantastic stuff, as usual.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01740 - Doom II "Red Waltz"