OCRA-0011 - Doom II: Delta-Q-Delta

Just went through my first listen. I'm not familiar with the material as I'm not a Doom fan. But what stood out to me the most are: "Adrian's Sleep", "31 Seconds", and "Red Waltz". I really like those. My absolute favorite is 31 Seconds, however. It is so fucking unique. Love how well the piano and electronic sounds work so well together. An awesome mix of ambiance and industrial in this track. Very haunting stuff indeed. Sounds very "Coldplay"-ish if you catch my drift. Those voice samples are especially cool...where are those from exactly? Kinda reminds me of Skypunk's Mario RPG remix awhile back.

I too am not a Doom fan, nor am I very knowledgeable of the music tracks. However, out of curiosity, I have heard Doom: TDSOP, and I rather enjoyed it. I can see how this is the spiritual successor

Some of my most favorite songs that I've listened to are, in no particular order of least to most favorite: The Countdown, 31 Seconds, Icon of Sinwave.

And props to who ever put that voice Doom 3's primary antagonist into the ending of "Icon of Sinwave." I've at least played Doom 3 to recognize the awesomeness of that voice XD.

Oh, and I probably won't be torrenting this for a while, since my computer is filled with all sorts of music from OCR, and I'm afraid by adding more stuff, I'd be slowing it down even more. Then again, temptations may get the better of me XD, and I'll find a way around that.

Lots of cool stuff here, funny thing is I only first read about this album yesterday then all of a sudden it gets released, some timing! I like it the same way I liked DSoP, it does a good job of preserving the Doom atmosphere while changing things up in the crazy "who would have thought of that" way that only OCR can.

Gonna have to agree that "31 seconds" is very unique and cool, I think we're too early to make a call on a clear favorite though, "The Healer Stalks" is another of my favorites since it takes what is debatebly one of the most boring songs in all of Doom and Doom II and makes it interesting again.

Odds are it won't get half the fanfare something like VoTL would, but I think it's fair to say the appeal of a Doom remix album can't quite compete with something like Super Mertroid or FFVII.

I would really like to see projects from different game franchises. In our short line of official and unofficial projects, we have 2 Metroid albums, 3 Sonic albums, and now 2 Doom projects. I was disappointed when I saw the announcement that we made another duplicate. Especially since I'm not a fan of the first.

I'd say this is a big step up from the first album, do you think there is enough original material in Final to do a third.

Also I'll keep the rest of the doom 2 tracks you missed that are based on real songs so the album can stay up lol. personally I think doom should be an exception since a good 70% of all of doom and doom 2 were MIDI versions of real tracks, about half the tracks on this album are also but I'm going to keep my mouth shut on which ones...that goes for the rest of you too.

My only suggestion would have been to do something different from an old mazedude track, the whole thing should have been new I think. Still best doom album yet. oh and did I mention some of the crappy doom 2 MIDIs here were turned into something good in the album.

9/10

This is yet another great album! Just got the torrent and might I say I like it a whole lot more than the first one. Keep up the good work people - this one of the aspects of OCR that I really enjoy.

Oh, and while I do think Thin Crust has a point up there, any new album is a pleasant sight for me.

I was wondering, why is this not a whole album? It's awesome as-is, no doubt.

But I was wondering why this isn't a two disc album, maybe multiple mixes or different artists doing the same songs? That would be kickass.

But then there's the whole two and a half plus years. Kinda seems sad that it's *only* 14 tracks after so muchwork?

No matter, though, very awesome all around. Everyone did a great job!

-Josh

I was thinking about that, the missing songs from what I can tell are Map4, Map5, Map7, Map18, and Map28, I'm not entirely sure which ones were based on "real songs," with the exception of Map23 being based on Alice in Chains' "Them Bones."

Seeing how Map23 was remixed on this album ("No Smoking Area"), I'm not entirely sure this would be the reason the other tracks were excluded. They also didn't remix Map31 and Map32 but I find this very understandable since those were bonus, Wolfenstein-3D themed levels which also used music from Wolfenstein, which wouldn't really have been appropriate for a Doom II remix album.

In any case, the tracks that were done are awesome, and I'll certainly take what I can get.

I think the whole ToS issue here is crap anyway, especially in this case. any music turned into MIDI for a game and then remixed here should be ok. the only ban at all should be on licensed music ripped directly like Road Rash using sound garden stuff.

But since you brought the cat out of the bag now here is the full list, doom and doom 2 the tracks in red indicate the remixed ones

Doom

E1M1 - At DooM's Gate = Metallica - Master of Puppets/No Remorse

E1M4 - Kitchen Ace(And taking Names) = Pantera - Rise

E2M1 - I Sawed The Demons = AC/DC - Big Gun

E2M2 - The Demons From Adrian's Pen = Metallica - The Call of Ktulu

E2M3/Intermission Music - Intermission From DOOM = Pantera - Regular People

E2M9/E3M1 - Untitled = Pantera - Mouth of War

E3M3 - Deep Into the Code = Slayer - Behind the Crooked Cross

E3M8 - Facing the Spider = S.O.D - Sargent D And The SOD

Doom2

Map01 - Running From Evil = Megadeath - Hangar 18

Map07 - Shawn's Got the Shotgun = Slayer - South of Heaven

Map10 - The Demon's Dead = Black Sabbath - After All (The Dead)

Map18 - Waiting for Romero to Play = Pantera - This Love

Map23 - Bye Bye American Pie = Alice in Chains - Them Bones

Map25 - Adrian's Sleep = Alice in Chains - Angry Chair

Map31 - Evil Incarnate = Wolfenstien 3D*

Map32 - The Ultimate Challenge/The Ultimate Conquest = Wolfenstein 3D

dqds.png+1

Nice Job everyone. I spent some time listening to the album. I'm not as familiar with the Doom 2 music that i am with the first, but i like how it turn. :nicework:

Map31 - Evil Incarnate = Wolfenstien 3D*

Map32 - The Ultimate Challenge/The Ultimate Conquest = Wolfenstein 3D

those were tossed out, because there are wolfenstein music rather than doom.

dqds.png+1

Nice Job everyone. I spent some time listening to the album. I'm not as familiar with the Doom 2 music that i am with the first, but i like how it turn. :nicework:

those were tossed out, because there are wolfenstein music rather than doom.

I know that, I'm just pointing out that the whole ban on remixing MIDI tracks taken from real music is BS. I think it should be thrown out. Doom is reason enough

This is pretty awesome. I loved how some of the tracks meld together so well. I was on track 5 before I realized I had been listening to more then one song, which is impressive. Everything sounds pretty groovy so far.

I know that, I'm just pointing out that the whole ban on remixing MIDI tracks taken from real music is BS. I think it should be thrown out. Doom is reason enough

The whole point of OCR is to honor VG composers and the work that they put into their craft, not metal bands. Its not BS at all. You don't see any Tony Hawks projects around here.

I was wondering, why is this not a whole album? It's awesome as-is, no doubt.

But I was wondering why this isn't a two disc album, maybe multiple mixes or different artists doing the same songs? That would be kickass.

But then there's the whole two and a half plus years. Kinda seems sad that it's *only* 14 tracks after so muchwork?

No matter, though, very awesome all around. Everyone did a great job!

-Josh

There were originally 16 tracks, however one of the artists pulled his two tracks from the project after he found out that they wouldn't be accepted to OCR due to the copyright issues regarding tracks based on actual rock songs.

There was a lot of work involved, but it was mostly a song-by-song thing, as there was little interest by most people in joining the project, and a lot of the time was spent by myself going "want to do a doom 2 remix?" to everyone on OCR.

There were originally 16 tracks, however one of the artists pulled his two tracks from the project after he found out that they wouldn't be accepted to OCR due to the copyright issues regarding tracks based on actual rock songs.

There was a lot of work involved, but it was mostly a song-by-song thing, as there was little interest by most people in joining the project, and a lot of the time was spent by myself going "want to do a doom 2 remix?" to everyone on OCR.

Ah, I see. So that's why it took so long. I didn't know that many of the songs were not 'original' songs, but remixed rock songs of the time....Wow...

No wonder the Doom albums took such a long time to come out.....

-Josh

This is pretty awesome. I loved how some of the tracks meld together so well. I was on track 5 before I realized I had been listening to more then one song, which is impressive. Everything sounds pretty groovy so far.

The whole point of OCR is to honor VG composers and the work that they put into their craft, not metal bands. Its not BS at all. You don't see any Tony Hawks projects around here.

the difference between tony hawk and doom is that hawk games never remixed original songs into MIDI like doom did, they licensed the actual tracks from the bands themselves. Bobby Prince never got permission from the bands themselves to MIDI their music.

In short, its odd to me that some tracks on the remix album were allowed yet some of those same tracks were omitted.

I'm a major Doom fan... very influential game to me... I'm actually working on my demo reel right now to submit to Id just for the chance to work on Doom 4 (and bring the franchise back to its roots I hope!)

just wanted to say that Delta-Q-Delta is fantastic... there is so much nostalgia and adrenaline in this album... and while I love a few top-notch songs from Dark Side of Phobos (such as Glass Moon), this new release totally blows it away overall

it kept me wide awake at work all day yesterday... believe me - that's an accomplishment

I don't post much on the forums, but I swore I'd keep an eye out on Delta-Q-Delta and see when it came out. Well, it's out now, and I've got my listen in for the whole album.

Overall... I like it. It doesn't seem to have an overall "story" like Dark Side of Phobos did, but DQD is excellent as more of a celebration of Doom 2's style. I will, however, more than likely edit this post in the future as I listen more often, with my thoughts on the individual tracks.