OCR01741 - Doom II "Running from Evil Horde"

djpretzel

I love the dirtiness of this mix. The shredding sound of the supporting guitar really crawls up and down my spine whenever I listen to it.

when I first heard the track, I thought it could possibly use some beefing up in the latter sections with a rock organ like the original track had, and the lead did sound a little sloppy at times. But the track really grew on me and I've found myself listening to it on repeat at work. Definitely a gem from DQD. A huge kudos goes out to Evil Horde for picking up this track and bringing a bit of nostalgia back from DSoP.

Just watching my brother play Doom as a kid freaked me out, but that's another story. Great opening riffs, the first minute is great. 1:30~2:00 felt a little to empty to me. Felt like there should have been more going on there.

I don't know what's original or source, but the guitars do nice work overall. Some of the clashing parts are pretty epic sounding.

I would have liked a little more direction as a whole, it felt like the song didn't really 'go anywhere'. Some parts were really great that I would like to have heard more of. Nice work overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, This one is grungy. The bass sounds great, and some of the over-the-top percussive hits are quality.

I wish the leads were a little cleaner, they have some weird phase issues due to all the distortion on them, especially in the harmony section.As is, they are a bit too dirty. The rhythm chugs are nice, and the solo itself is cleaner and has some nice harmony snippets.

The beat seemed a bit too static for my tastes, I can understand having it take a backseat to all the guitars, but more than 1 beat would have been nice.

Very cool to see an OCR vet back in the saddle though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have played Doom for my whole life and can say: This song is not cool enough to tell the tale of a serious fighting space marine against hell.

I don't like the pitch or style of certain parts. The music reminds me of a cheap new metal band instead of a historical game which is the father of new age shooters. The song will never be able to fill the sad hearts of the remaining space marines - who lost almost all their comrades - with pride about the performed fight for humanity.

It IS a remix of a Doom song, thats right! But in consideration of the bigness of the Doom-phenomenon and -history, this song cannot be considered a good Doom remix. (Even though id messed it up itself with the perky Doom movie...) It is not. And: There is nothing epic in it. It does not convince me.

Your technical performance is outstanding - the sound and all instruments are clear like the vacuum around mars... But sometimes I am afraid, that this is the only criterion the judges are looking at; For this song has neither own characteristic greatness or power nor any effective, that would have been copied from the source.

- The beginning sounds like "Hangar 18" from "MegaDeth" for a moment...

- The accents set in the background sounds during the solo diminishes it's power.

- Example: I was lucky hearing the solo beginning at 2:36, but two seconds later at 2:38 I realized that the setting of boring personal accents that derive from the source continue...

But at least I'm glad to see people concerning themselves about good 'ol Doom.

• 1 month later...

Chip metal, or whatever that modulation effect at 0:37 makes it. Would have been nice to have more chip elements in this, the metal gets old. Yeah, I've noticed I'm not as much of a metal fan as I used to be, but there's something in this that reminds me of why I enjoyed the genre back when. A little repetitive, not very melodic, but it's got great attitude. Good enough for me.

edit 12-22-09:

This track has really grown on me, probably my favorite from the album. It's got attitude... and a great name. :D

"Dire metal" are words that come to my mind when I listen to this.

This remix is a little to frantic for my tastes, but it feels like a highly appropriate mix for when an army of abominations from the netherworld are wanting to eat your face.

• 5 weeks later...

I share these quite a bit with the ScoreHero/Guitar Hero community, but for whatever reason not usually this one. I think that's a bit silly. :) Since I don't have remixing talent myself, this is the best I can do to say "thanks - this mix kicks ass."

Guitar/Rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7-i58h85M

Drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fd_1aDqjE

I share these quite a bit with the ScoreHero/Guitar Hero community, but for whatever reason not usually this one. I think that's a bit silly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7-i58h85M

Since I don't have remixing talent myself, this is the best I can do to say "thanks - this mix kicks ass."

Holy fucking christ on a stick. That was awesome. Did you program that all out yourself for guitar hero? If you can share that as downloadable content, I'd love to have a go at that. Looks really difficult too. Did you play it or get an automator to do it?

Either way, That just blows me away.

I share these quite a bit with the ScoreHero/Guitar Hero community, but for whatever reason not usually this one. I think that's a bit silly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7-i58h85M

Since I don't have remixing talent myself, this is the best I can do to say "thanks - this mix kicks ass."

Holy CRAP! This is awesome! It's a really surreal feeling to watch your own song played on GH. Thanks for doing it, this was totally rad!

YAY!

Holy fucking christ on a stick. That was awesome. Did you program that all out yourself for guitar hero? If you can share that as downloadable content, I'd love to have a go at that. Looks really difficult too. Did you play it or get an automator to do it?

Either way, That just blows me away.

Yeah, I wrote out the chart myself. There's a GUI that makes the process fairly streamlined, though making a good quality chart can still take some time. In the video it's being played by a bot. To be honest, though, this one's not that hard as far as customs go. The community likes their ridiculous difficulty levels. :razz:

You can't grab customs as easily as you can grab DLC, but depending on what system/game you're using creating a custom disc might be easy or difficult. I use GH3 PC because there's a tool that makes it ridiculously easy to add songs to the game. If you're interested PM me and I'll set you in the right direction.

EDIT: finally got around to doing a drum track. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fd_1aDqjE

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01741 - Doom II "Running from Evil Horde"