Beijing 2008

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Man, the US mens gymnastics teams were a whole bunch of cocky pricks. Man they pissed me off! They were cheering and saying "U-S-A" like they'd won gold. For crying out loud, even the chinese were humble in winning their Gold and we have our noob gymnists acting like retards with way too much camera time. Geez.

Seriously, I can handle a little bit of national pride and happiness when you've won but they got a freakin' bronze and were making a bigger ruckus than the gold and silver medalists combined.

>_<

The Chinese mens gymnastics team was freakin' incredible. I've never really been a fan of gynastics but damn, some of that stuff they did was crazy!!

You gotta realize every person on the USA men's gymnastics team has never been to the Olympics before. Also, they didn't go into this even expecting to get a medal. Imagine going to the Olympics for the first time, you get a medal that you didn't think you had a chance in, let alone getting into the finals. None of them were being cocky, they were just trying to raise their own morale against a team that they knew was amazing. What's wrong with being happy about winning a medal?

Man, where are you guys seeing the fencing? The only things I've seen on the TV here is Swimming/Gymnastics/Volleyball/Diving. (not that I don't like those events, Gymnastics has been pretty fantastic).

I checked the website and the computer I'm currently on is a PPC mac so I can't watch any of the live streams...is that the only way to see fencing or am I missing something?

Also to whoever said they thought the footprints in the opening ceremony looked digital at first, turns out they were indeed fake.

From article:

On Yahoo answers one poster wrote: "My opinion on this is who cares if the fireworks are real or not! China still put up a great opening show to feed the people appetite," and "i agree with you. so what if it's fake? it's not as if it's hurting anybody..."

Because Yahoo answers is a very reputable source.

holy shit the 400 men's freestyle relay was incredible. HE CAUGHT AND PROCEEDED TO OVERTAKE THE WORLD RECORD HOLDER ANCHOR FROM FRANCE!!! In that race, there's no holding back. They go all out the whole way. How the hell he went beyond all out at the end to pass I have no !@%#ing idea. Best moment of olympics so far. Incredible.

---

After making the turn, Lezak said he momentarily lost the courage of his convictions. Bernard had a 0.6 of a second lead and Lezak was not sure he could reel him in. "I'm not going to lie," he said. "The thought really crossed my mind for a split-second: 'There's no way."'

Then he reminded himself that he was representing his country, and this was the Olympics, and he was not getting any younger, so he had to make the most of this chance.

"In five seconds I was thinking all these things," Lezak said. "And I got a supercharge."

edit: The china vs usa basketball game had a very energetic crowd even if it wasn't a close game. That was fun to see.

sacramone

man......

she probably is going to be depressed for years

True. But even if she'd hadn't fallen twice, I don't believe the US would have beaten China. The Chinese team was ahead in the end by roughly two and a half points, and I don't think the points Sacramone would have gotten amounted to that much.

Like her healthy chest, Sacramone'll bounce back once someone shows her the math. It would have been heartbreakingly close, but I think the US still would have placed second because of the other little missteps the whole team made along the way.

Man, where are you guys seeing the fencing? The only things I've seen on the TV here is Swimming/Gymnastics/Volleyball/Diving. (not that I don't like those events, Gymnastics has been pretty fantastic).

I checked the website and the computer I'm currently on is a PPC mac so I can't watch any of the live streams...is that the only way to see fencing or am I missing something?\

So far that's where I've been watching all things worth watching to me as I'm not a big fan of gymnastics or swimming or any other flowery sports.

The fencing, judo, archery, equestrian, boxing, sailing and such are all great.

Maco, try reading the article again, and maybe you'll realize that the bit you just quoted isn't a source, but a commentary on some of the responses to the fake fireworks.

I didn't get to see anything on the Olympics today, but it sounds like sad times for the gymnastics side of thing whether it would have made a difference or not.

As far as Phelps goes, it's awesome that he's an amazing swimmer and all, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing about him, it's practically all the commentary people are talking about during swimming. I think I've heard comment on his "wingspan" or his shot at 8 medals two-three times every night I've turned the tv on.

Edit: Also, ARG to the more interesting events being on a live stream that doesn't work for anything but intel macs. >( I hope I can find that stuff easily later on when I'm back on my PC.

What pisses me off besides the fact that NBC refuses to actually show much of anything other than all Phelps all the time on TV is that the Olympic committee is rumored to be thinking of removing Taekwondo as an event because "it isn't popular enough".

Well I'm fucking sorry that Phelps isn't competing in that event, but has anyone seen at least highlight matches from 4 years ago? Yeah, that was some badass shit to watch.

True. But even if she'd hadn't fallen twice, I don't believe the US would have beaten China. The Chinese team was ahead in the end by roughly two and a half points, and I don't think the points Sacramone would have gotten amounted to that much.

Like her healthy chest, Sacramone'll bounce back once someone shows her the math. It would have been heartbreakingly close, but I think the US still would have placed second because of the other little missteps the whole team made along the way.

What was the difference in scores? (I didn't stay up to check the final results)

Alicia's falls cost the team 1.6. If China won by more than that, they would have won anyway.

What pisses me off besides the fact that NBC refuses to actually show much of anything other than all Phelps all the time on TV is that the Olympic committee is rumored to be thinking of removing Taekwondo as an event because "it isn't popular enough".

Well I'm fucking sorry that Phelps isn't competing in that event, but has anyone seen at least highlight matches from 4 years ago? Yeah, that was some badass shit to watch.

I've been watching a lot of NBC olympics on NBC's sister channels, USA and Universal. I don't know if you get Universal, but those both are either run or permitted by NBC to show the Olympics, and since it's in the middle of the night, it's live if you're in the US. So far I've caught fencing, boxing, volleyball, badminton, shooting, rowing, and even equestrian (lol). It sucks if you don't get these channels, but I do, and have been so far pleased with the coverage. Also I watched US soccer last night but fell asleep.

yes NBC coverage sucks ass. All sorts of crazy shit is going on in the stadium and they are filming USA's team huddle for five minutes. Oh now we get to watch them take their warmups off. Terrible coverage. They only started to cover Germany a little bit toward the end when they were catching USA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/selena_roberts/08/13/china.gymnasts/?bcnn=yes

Looks like China's been using underage gymnasts. If this is true, they need to be immediately DQ'd.

This should have been thoroughly checked when the athletes were registered. Fake passports my ass.

If they had been using drugs this wouldn't be a controversy, it would have been a DQ report. Why isn't this a DQ report but a controversy? Audit them. Confirm the validity of the accusations then take the appropriate action.