Beijing 2008

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Yeah, I'm not doubting Phelps' claim--I'm merely stating someone else's opinion on the matter. I agree that 6000 cals per day is pretty insane. In my own daily life I tend to somewhat count calories (as well as count the calories I'm burning while working out), so just eating at a place like Burger King can equal a shitload of calories. But to eat 10,000 calories a day?

Dayyyyyyum!

Yeah, pretty amazing, though I wish the commentators slow down a bit with the heaping of praise. Actually, the NBC coverage is borderline annoying even when the Americans get golds, or the top Jamaican runner got the deserved gold. Also what is with that overtly cheerful old man in the gymnastics segment?

And why is Mark Spitz the great big evil in the Olympic world now that Phelps is the 'in' thing now? Enough already.

Also what is with that overtly cheerful old man in the gymnastics segment?

The old man is Béla Károlyi - legendary gymnastics coach.

"Among the gymnasts Béla and Marta Károlyi have trained are Mary Lou Retton, Betty Okino, Kerri Strug, Teodora Ungureanu, Nadia Comaneci, Kim Zmeskal, Kristie Phillips, and Dominique Moceanu. In total, Károlyi has coached nine Olympic champions, fifteen world champions, sixteen European medalists and six U.S. national champions." - Wikipedia

Here's the rest of the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9la_K%C3%A1rolyi

Heh.

Well, now that Phelps is done with his races, hopefully we're done hearing about it every ten minutes. The coverage of his historic eight golds was getting the point of being the OJ trial... it was talked about by everyone, and the constant replayed footage was everywhere. It's great that he pulled it off, and he should be pretty damn proud of himself, and his team mates for helping him do it. But I have to be honest, I'm pretty much done with the whole thing now. I'm sure we'll go through it all again at the end of the Olympics, and when Phelps gets back in The States. But it would be nice to at least get a break from it between now and then, before it becomes "The Phelps Show, with special guest, the rest of the Olympics".

Phelps deserve every moment of media coverage he has gotten. He won more gold medals in a single Olympics than anyone in history, winning every single event he was in and setting seven new world records. That's frickin' unbelievable.

As much as it's easy to hate on repetition and being somewhat "bombarded" by the media, it definitely is a significant achievement, and one that will not likely be matched or surpassed by anyone anytime in the near future. Besides that, if you live in the states you have to remember he's one of the few star olympic icons the USA seems to have this year, while the USA as well as most countries are losing most golds to the admittedly amazing Chinese team.

It's a mixture of both, and as with most things it ends up being some weird version of patriotism mixed with respect for olympic sport. I know if Phelps did win 8 golds and they DIDN'T make a big deal about it... it'd be like "what the hell?"

Haha, it's not like anyone has to apologize for picking on Michael. He's in the spotlight and should be scrutinized. At the same time, we can make fun of his goofy smile as much as we'd like. At the end of the day he has 8+ olympic golds and world records and the rest of us are fat-asses watching from the sidelines.

The commentators speculated 9.56. I'd say that's possible.

I thought that was a great race to watch even though, I had it spoiled for me earlier in the day. It just defied imagination. I'm really happy that the US got a bronze. Especially after Tyson Gay was eliminated in the prelims :(.

I can't wait to see his 200 time. Michael Johnson's record is a stake this time, I believe.

Phelps deserve every moment of media coverage he has gotten. He won more gold medals in a single Olympics than anyone in history, winning every single event he was in and setting seven new world records. That's frickin' unbelievable.

Now if he had won 8 medals across 8 different sports, THEN it'd be frickin' unbelievable. He's a great swimmer who happened to be good enough to win 8 golds at the Olympics.

I know however that had he not been a USA swimmer, then we probably wouldn't see that much of him at all other than "grrr! this guy over here keeps winning against our team and has 8 medals now!" We're just gushing over the fact that he's one of ours. We don't care about the sport or records unless we're winning it.

Does he deserve media coverage? Yeah. Does he deserve ALL the media coverage? No.

I'm not wailing on Phelps here. I'm wailing on the fact that I have to go through other means to see everything else because it's all Phelps all the time.

Now if he had won 8 medals across 8 different sports, THEN it'd be frickin' unbelievable. He's a great swimmer who happened to be good enough to win 8 golds at the Olympics.

I know however that had he not been a USA swimmer, then we probably wouldn't see that much of him at all other than "grrr! this guy over here keeps winning against our team and has 8 medals now!" We're just gushing over the fact that he's one of ours. We don't care about the sport or records unless we're winning it.

Does he deserve media coverage? Yeah. Does he deserve ALL the media coverage? No.

I'm not wailing on Phelps here. I'm wailing on the fact that I have to go through other means to see everything else because it's all Phelps all the time.

Concurred.

Changing the subject, Deferr's floor routine was sweet. He has without a doubt the prettiest double layout I've ever seen.