Perseids Meteor Shower

jmr

Well I woke up at 3 to catch the end of tonight's shower. Saw a few, more than I thought I would given the light pollution from the streetlights. Now back to bed so I can manage to make it through another 10 hour day without falling asleep at my desk.

I went out to a field with no lights whatsoever for last year's shower when I didn't have to work in the morning. Saw some really colorful ones there.

• 11 months later...

According to this, it seems the best time would be from 9 to 11 tonight:

The Moon is least troublesome during the early evening hours of August 11th. Around 9 to 11 p.m. local time (your local time), both Perseus and the Moon will be hanging low in the north. This low profile reduces lunar glare while positioning the shower's radiant for a nice display of Earthgrazers.

Wonder if I'll even be able to catch a glimpse of it considering I'm living in well-lit suburban Seattle. :-( Thanks for the heads up though. (b'.')b

I understand what you mean, though really it doesn't take much to get out of the city/light pollution (with a car at least).

I drove out to a field and caught last year's show; the streaks of orange and blue across the sky were most spectacular. This year since I'm in a less urban environment I will probably just hop out onto the roof and enjoy the show in the 70 degree weather (I guess there's finally a bright side to how hot it's been up here in the foothills).