Chrono Trigger 'Forensic Forest' (Secret of the Forest)

Suitmonster

Rather original sounding interpretation for this theme, but I'm generally digging the feel.

The mix feels very dry though, or at least kind of stuffy. I'd advise maybe adding a bit more reverb (at least on the lead instrument and chords) to spread things out a bit more naturally. Also, the sampled lavos screech or whatever that is starts to get annoying really quick - I'd advise you to try adding more variation in it (such as different panning positions and filter settings), or just omit it all together after the intro).

The instrumentation feels alright in general, though there are a few problem spots. For one, piano that comes in about half-way feels kind of off, especially when you start pan sweeping it during it's solo section - it just has rather unnatural feel with the dry mixing and lack of humanization. Also, dueo to the lack of pad instruments, so the more exposed sections really sound empty - this you can probably fix just by adding some more reverb though.

I don't really have much problems with the other musical aspects. If I had to nitpick, I'd say probably the chord choices in the last section could be better - it may be better in this case to to stick closer to the original. Oh, and try to do something about that abrupt ending too.

All in all, though, I rather enjoyed it. Feels rough around the edges as it is right now, but mostly it the production aspects. Shouldn't take too much more work to polish everything off, so keep it up!