Braid (the XBLA game)

BardicKnowledge

• 2 weeks later...
i'm really enjoying this game. i'm not quite done with it yet, and my OCD tendancies make me want to beat each level before i move onto the next one (aka get all the pieces, which can be time-consuming), but i REALLY enjoy it. it's such a cool game as a whole.

For me getting all of the puzzle pieces was the only way to go before moving on too. Which is a great thing because you need them all to unlock the last level. And without giving anything away, the last level is one of the most ingenious sights in video game history. If you found the game to be thought provoking before, the final level will blow your mind.

Yeah, definitely XBLA Game of the Year for me even though I loved Castle Crashers, SFHD, and N+.

PC version plz. I hear all about this game but I needz teh Windows...

http://braid-game.com/news/

Braid for the PC is now $15.

February 18th, 2009

Yesterday, Stardock announced that they would be selling Braid at the end of March for $19.95. This price has proven to be unpopular in certain areas of the Internets, so I’ve reduced it to $14.95. Pre-orders from Stardock have not been charged yet, so if you pre-ordered at $20 you will still get the game for $15.

So, Stardock (so far) has announced that they will be selling the game via their distribution service: Impulse (also used to sell Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod and their Windows Blinds programs).

J. Blow has announced that one or two other (as of yet unnamed) PC distributors will be selling it as well, so I'm just going to happily wait 'till Braid's finally announced on Steam (I'm hoping).

It would be an awesome addition to any Steam library, and I'll be glad to finally play this game which everyone's hyped about so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Err, double post? Well I kinda had to bump this thread to post this:

Braid is finally available on PC! Been waiting a long while for this, and I'm really glad that PC users were also able to experience this gem.

Here's the news post:

http://braid-game.com/news/

And it's available at Steam, Impulse, GamersGate and Greenhouse, with a demo available at Greenhouse.

I was ending a round of World of Goo on Steam when I saw the Braid link and immediately downloaded the demo...

In a word "amazing!" I had read great reviews in the past, but it far exceeds my expectations.

I especially love the soundtrack. Unfortunately there's no official release of the OST, but you can listen or buy them on magnatune.com (via the Braid Blog...http://braid-game.com/news/?p=260)

Is it just me , or were the levels not so much "clever" as they were "Jonathan Blow being a douche". It's a great platformer, and it's fun, but I can't stand the dude that made it. The story is uninteresting amd cliched, assuming you've read any poetry. I saw the ending coming a mile away, and had no attachment to any of the characters.

I feel like it has its head way too far up its own ass. It oozes "indie". In this case, I think it's a bad thing.

(to be fair, the SPOILER atom bomb SPOILER thing is interesting, at least. It just feels way too symbolic and stuff for me. If you're not actively looking for the metaphor, it's simply not there. Which, to me, is the sign of a bad metaphor.)

Is it just me , or were the levels not so much "clever" as they were "Jonathan Blow being a douche". It's a great platformer, and it's fun, but I can't stand the dude that made it. The story is uninteresting amd cliched, assuming you've read any poetry. I saw the ending coming a mile away, and had no attachment to any of the characters.

I feel like it has its head way too far up its own ass. It oozes "indie". In this case, I think it's a bad thing.

(to be fair, the SPOILER atom bomb SPOILER thing is interesting, at least. It just feels way too symbolic and stuff for me. If you're not actively looking for the metaphor, it's simply not there. Which, to me, is the sign of a bad metaphor.)

I think I have to agree.. I felt like the puzzles, well the more challenging ones, were a chore. Maybe it was because I was rushing to find out what was the whole big deal about the ending... but still. All in all though I loved the art style and the music. The gameplay was unique, I give it that, but, I just found it frustrating and un-enjoyable. When I completed a particularly devious puzzle I didn't get a sensation of 'reward', but more a feeling of "Ok wtf, damn I'm glad I don't have to figure that out again". And before anyone bugs me for being an action gamer, I'll say that some of my favourite childhood memories are with Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island and Sam & Max.

I guess all the hard work for the ending kind of paid off... (SPOILER)the initial twist was great (even though I pretty much saw it coming), the way it was delivered was good. (END SPOILER)

(MORE SPOILER)Although, I have to agree DjSammyG's feeling that it was a bad metaphor. Meh. (END SPOILER)

Yeah, that's not to say I didn't enjoy the game, quite the contrary.

Like I said before, I just think it's way too far up its own ass.

My bad. Yeah I noticed that what I said is quite different from what you said lol but I only noticed afterwards and cbf'ed changing what I wrote. And now you've cleared it up so yeaaaaa.

I hear there's a level editor available for the PC version. I'm hoping my old ass PC will run the game so I can get it and play fan made stuff... assuming a lot of fan made stuff happens. Either that or they could always bundle up a bunch of levels and make some DLC for the XBLA version.

I hear there's a level editor available for the PC version. I'm hoping my old ass PC will run the game so I can get it and play fan made stuff... assuming a lot of fan made stuff happens. Either that or they could always bundle up a bunch of levels and make some DLC for the XBLA version.

(For steam version:)

Yeah, just right click Braid on Steam game list and click properties, then press 'Set launch options' and type -editor, and press F11 in the game, you'll get the editor. J.Blow says he'll release official documentation for using the editor later.

For non-steam versions I'd assume you'd just make a shortcut to the game and add -editor at the end of the file path e.g. "C:\Program Files\Braid.exe" -editor

Not sure if a really old PC would load the game. It had a bit of slowdown on my gf's laptop and that probably had a 2.0ghz processor. You'd just have to check out the demo I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

It felt like the game and the story were two separate entities.

I was content with the open to interpretation ending... but not the stars ending.

That was kinda lame.

EDIT: This post is a waste of time, and it is very hard to discuss the game without using spoiler tags.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...