Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Serenade of Storms'

BlazingDragon

I'm attempting to remix the Song of Storms for solo piano, briefly borrowing elements from the Serenade of Water. I'm aiming to add a lot of my own style and stray from the source material quite a bit.

I've made a good deal of progress but am having trouble deciding how to end the piece. Also, I'm a bit worried that the mix is too liberal. I just started on this earlier today and would appreciate any advice offered. :)

Thanks in advance,

~Blaze

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/165200

As for a link to the source material...Who hasn't ever heard the Song of Storms? :P

I'm listening to this back to back with itself because of NewGrounds's constant looping of it, and I must say the almost unchanged Serenade of Water makes a solid ending to it. If you tweaked the tail end of the Serenade a little it could make a good close to the song, I think.

Making a sad song on a piano is too over-done but I must admit it always sounds good.

I was actually thinking something along those lines myself! :o

While I'm somewhat set on ending with some rendition of the Serenade of Water, I'm trying to figure out a decent transition from the climax I built. I don't want to just suddenly drop into the Serenade, as it would be too jarring IMO.

Sad piano is indeed cliche, but so is sad violin. :P As long as it sounds good though, I enjoy it. Thanks for the suggestion!

(Sorry for the double post >_>)

I have made a great deal of progress on the remix and am just putting on any finishing touches. As far as the actual arrangement, it is pretty much complete. I edited the link in the first post to the new version of the mix, but here it is:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/165200

I could really use any advice you have to offer.

Sound quality is terrible, piano seems granulized. Find better hosting. Please.

The actual music, however, is pretty good, but a lot of the processing is lost in the file compression. Better hosting!

You'll probably have to rewrite parts of the SoW to get by the judges, but it does make a good opening and ending. The creative bits require very little more work, imo. Production is impossible to comment on accurately with this sound quality.

Okay, no more sound quality/hosting comments.

Source is there, well interpreted, well written. See the second paragraph.

Impressive stuff.

My knowledge of mastering is quite poor to say the least. I don't know what granulized means. :oops: I looked it up on google but did not find anything helpful. I will probably submit it as an e-mail attachment, as I don't know of many quality hosting sites.

I was a bit worried that the SoW section was too close to being verbatim. I shrugged it off because it is such a small part of an otherwise liberal arrangement. If it ends up being a significant issue, I'll go back and modify it.

As I said, my knowledge of mastering is rather poor. Perhaps the bad sound quality is not due to the host site? >_<

I arranged this with nothing but free software. That may be one reason for the bad sound quality. (I used an FL Studio demo and a free piano sample I came across)

Thank you for the comment!

@Spakku: The octave swapping is one of my favorite parts. Unfortunately, the sample I used does not sound very crisp in the upper registers. :(

I arranged this with nothing but free software. That may be one reason for the bad sound quality. (I used an FL Studio demo and a free piano sample I came across)

@Spakku: The octave swapping is one of my favorite parts. Unfortunately, the sample I used does not sound very crisp in the upper registers. :(

Tindeck.com for hosting, it convenient to download from, and I haven't read any complaints about uploading to it either.

Using free stuff shouldn't be a problem, with the possible exception of the DAW itself. Refer to the guides subforum, and try google with more specific keywords. If all else fails, ask in the ReMixing forum for a good piano sample.

This is marvelous. I thought I enjoyed the current Serenade of Water remix, but this just blows me away. Beautiful. I'm a whore for piano, but I'm drooling over this.

I've always wanted to see each of the Zelda:OOT teleport songs made into fully realized, elaborate tunes. Thanks for doing this one, at the very least.

@Rozovian: Well, I submitted this last night. Perhaps that was a mistake. If it is rejected (Probably will be in the current state) I may just go back and tweak it before resubmitting. In any case, I *will* look for some better piano sounds and see if I can learn my DAW a bit better. I noticed that there are is slight popping at the beginning of the song and would like to find out if there is a way to edit that through mastering.

Tindeck sounds like a good site. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Glitch: Have you really? That is an odd chance. It isn't surprising that someone else is working on a piano mix of either of those songs, but what is the chance of both of us using the exact same two songs in a piano solo? O_o

This was arranged in the demo of FL Studio using free sounds found on the internet. I couldn't half as good as this right now. >_<

@ MrSneak: That is quite encouraging. Thank you for the comment! I would love to ReMix a variety of the Ocarina melodies piano. They are simple and ambiguous enough that I can easily add my own chords and fit in original material. That is one reason I have had such fun with this project so far!

I do not believe that I've listened to the current Serenade of Water remix. I will check it out now.

@ MrSneak: That is quite encouraging. Thank you for the comment! I would love to ReMix a variety of the Ocarina melodies piano. They are simple and ambiguous enough that I can easily add my own chords and fit in original material. That is one reason I have had such fun with this project so far!

I do not believe that I've listened to the current Serenade of Water remix. I will check it out now.

Indeed, my pleasure. Yes, the OOT teleport songs are just... bursting with unrealized potential. I would be delighted if you wanted to pursue the others. :)

And yes, do give it a listen, it's a good'un. ( http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01150/ )

EDIT: Heh, I realize I really love that mix because of the awesome piano at just after the first 3rd of the track. Go-go piano bias.

Indeed, my pleasure. Yes, the OOT teleport songs are just... bursting with unrealized potential. I would be delighted if you wanted to pursue the others. :)

And yes, do give it a listen, it's a good'un. ( http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01150/ )

EDIT: Heh, I realize I really love that mix because of the awesome piano at just after the first 3rd of the track. Go-go piano bias.

Oh! I *have* listened to that track before. I like the simple piano part myself. That is an enjoyable remix. :)

On the ReMix I'm working on, I notice a slight "popping" on ome parts? could anybody tell me how I might remove this in FL Studio?