Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game 'Medley'

ekikoo

I made these humble guitar-based 'remixes' of some Turtles2 (NES) songs, and eventually decided to string them up into a medleyish form. I recorded guitars with Boss Gt-8 using Cubase SX2 and a couple of VSTis. It is likely that this doesn't meet the OCR quality standards, but if you liked the music in that game, please enjoy...

http://ekikoo.viive.fi/Half%20Shell%20Medley.mp3

This is a very likable and high energy arrangement (of course, it's TMNT, what'd you expect :P). Some transitions are a bit off but nothing dealbreaking.

The guitars are definitely passable but the fakey bass ticks me off a lot. It's mixed way too softly and it relies too much on just repeating the root note. Make the bass more audible and more interesting, the mix sounds quite empty without it.

Drums are alright but underprocessed for the kind of music you're going for. Needs to be way punchier and less roomy overall. Specifically the snare needs more thwack/compression (and possibly some reverb if you're going for the huge snare sound.) The machine gun snare rolls at the end just sound outright painful, don't forget to edit velocities. Drum Sequencing is pretty good overall.

Overall this is pretty close, just needs some polish on certain instruments, but it probably won't take too much effort to bring this up to par. :]

Try to listen to some similar mixes (the latest Sixto/Zircon collab would make a great candidate) to get a feel for how drums should sit in a mix like this.

Wow... this brought back hordes of nostalgia for this game. I am seriously loving it! So fantastic! Thanks a bundle for this killer medley. I'd give you a high-five but... uh, I'm guessing we don't live close. Also you don't know me so touching might be invading your space. Regardless; high-five worthy.

You have to be kidding. Personally I think it's very close to OCRemix quality standards. :<

I listened to some of the Sixto/Zircon-mixes, they really sound 'fresh' as mine has a flu. I'm a total novice when it comes to mixing & mastering, but I sure would like to know how to improve my skills.

How does Sixto record the guitars, miked amp? This is by far the best quality I can get when using coaxial s/pdif from GT8...

edit: I visited Sixto's website, and I no longer wonder why he produces top-quality stuff :)

very cool. Definately brings back all the great memories of the game...

Very well performed, some nice parts there with drums etc. Bass-line isn't very memorable, but I'd have to say I don't mind. Most 80s rock is guitar-led, and bass is just secondary, so I wouldn't say its a problem.

Overall I'd have to admit the mix is a tad too long (although it seems longer because the energy level is so high all the way through... it's hard to sustain listener's interest over such a long period of time if you keep it mostly at the same velocity all the way through, maybe play with varying the intensity and composition so you get some rise and fall going on, quieter moments, etc).

Regardless, really solid.

You have to be kidding. Personally I think it's very close to OCRemix quality standards. :<

I'd hope so.

With the least offense possible. You hear some of those, crystal clear production house/rave/techno remixes of songs that almost sound like someone hit the demo button on the keyboard that get on the site.

The production isn't perfect on this, but it has some personality. Never let personality die!

I agree with the guy who said it was a bit too long. Also where it ends on the main TMNT theme, that'd be cool to use as an extended part because it's a really good 'fade out' choice, to do some mad solos over and such...but ok...I'm writing my own song there..

But actually I think what got me really excited when the main theme came in, is that it's introduced really softly. I think that's maybe what might allow this remix to last 6 minutes and remain engaging. Some sparsity in the build up. There are build-ups and transitional elements, and some really well done like the 3.5-4 min area.

The piece is very hard and constant on the drums all the way through, a few stops here and there, where you re-piece together the layers to give the ears a chance to breathe would really make this mix kick ass.

But you know, that's one man's opinion, so don't take it 'too' seriously ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping, but I've made some changes here and there. It's now on the "to be judged"-list, it's likely that they'll stamp NO on it with smart feedback of course. I was still thinkig of you people could be bothered to criticize it more :P Thanks.

The file's host site may be performing site maintenance, sorry if the link doesn't work 24/7

Sorry for bumping, but I've made some changes here and there. It's now on the "to be judged"-list, it's likely that they'll stamp NO on it with smart feedback of course. I was still thinkig of you people could be bothered to criticize it more :P Thanks.

The file's host site may be performing site maintenance, sorry if the link doesn't work 24/7

Link is broken :nicework:

No source link, no source comment.

This really isn't my expertise, so all I can say is that it's enjoyable, although soundwise repetitive. Going into a wah guitar somewhere (in keeping with the organ feel you've already got). There's also no clear progression (which is excuseable for a medley but not if you're gonna submit it to ocr).

But I thought I'd drop a line and support a fellow finn.

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.