"Pirates of the Caribbean" theme actually from "Gladiator" OST?

Geoffrey Taucer

That is remarkably close. I know Hans Zimmer scored Gladiator and was involved in the production of the first Pirates soundtrack, and Klaus Badelt co-wrote many of the themes with Zimmer. I'm honestly surprised by this. Not having seen Gladiator, does that song reappear throughout the score, or is it a simple tune used once and forgotten? If it's the latter, then it is possible that Zimmer wanted to expand upon the existing theme, thus elevating it to its level of primacy in the Pirates trilogy.

Edit: Skummel Maske, you beat me to my conclusion. I have to learn to type faster... :(

It probably just boils down to deadlines, and they need something up quick, so why not re-use materials from other scores?

I heard the same thing with Harry Gregson-Williams; this clip was in Kingdom of Heaven, yet he used it right at the beginning of the track "The Battle" for the first Chronicles of Narnia. Except it was re-arranged or anything, it was just taken verbatim.

Hans Zimmer uses the same god damn staccato fanfares almost all the time. It's no wonder some of his scores sound virtually identical.

His soundtracks are so oversaturated with that stuff, I grew awfully bored of him many years ago. It's the euro cheese trance of film music.

Heh, this is exactly the reason I love his soundtracks.

Speaking of that track "The Battle" from the Gladiator soundtrack, Zimmer was sued by the Holst Foundation for copyright infringement because parts of it are quite similar to "Mars, the Bringer of War" from Holst's suite "The Planets".

I still think that both instances could be from film makers using temp scores and wanting something similar to the music they had in there.

I think the POTC theme has a similar feel to it as the clip above, but I think it's far from a rip of it. And even so, Zimmer worked on both, I don't think anyone is going to get mad at you for ripping from yourself.