Super Mario Galaxy 'Observatory Jazz'

Vayshen

Hiya guys,

If you've seen my video on youtube before you may recognize my name! =o

Hello, one and all! After getting bugged now and then to get the guts and try to bring my works to this great site, I've decided to go for it. I probably would've shot for it a notch earlier however I took a longer than expected hiatus from playing piano and am now about a week or 2 back into and lovin' it!

Before moving on, I re-listend to the rapidshare file and while the quality (I think) is passable it is quite clear that at the end I studder too much so I will have to redo it. Alas, even before my hiatus I hadn't played this piece in a while and I have (with great, deep shame) forgotten how to play it T_T. So I'm trying to pickup the chords and melody again and I'm making fine progress, even making it sound better! Less mistakes and more interesting, etc.

Therefore, keep in mind that the work I'm linking here will not be the same, that end will be much better sounding and I may/may not reuse the backing track I created with band in a box. The drums are Real Drums from the 2008 version so it's just the upright bass that is midi, which wasn't too awful to listen to for the duration -IMO.

The rapidshare link:

http://rs241.rapidshare.com/files/98665505/Mario_Galaxy_jazz_waltz_1.avi.MP3

Now then, the youtube link is:

So yeah the piano is not sequenced, it's entriely played live by a human being (me); instrument used is a Roland HP-107 so that direct line recording may be used.

Ultimately what I want to know from the community is if the 'standard jazz formula' is accepted on ocremix. The melody, while generally played loosely in the typical standard jazz manner, is relatively faithful and to me at least present, I'm not sure if it's 'too much'. There's always the improvisation round in the middle of the 3 chorusus and always room for a 4th at the end without Band in a Box.

I know variation wise it would be welcome, as there's much trance, rock and orchestral remix work done on here so I'm sure the jazz genre is ok. (?)

Well that was a horribly long post to read for a WIP thread but that's that =(

Thanks in advance,

Don't worry, there are already OCRemixes that have adopted the Jazz Genre. In other words, yeah, you can use Jazz, no problem. I haven't heard the source tune, so I can't say if it is close or not. Great piano playing, btw. And, yeah, try to get some reverb going there. Though I don't know how you'll do it with that Band in a Box thingy. Keep up the awesomeness!

Edit: I'd reccommend getting a better File hosting server for music, such as Tindeck Audio. RapidShare is generally unwanted because the song link expires after 90 days. There's a sticky under the "Works-in-Progress & Releases" front page for more file hosting options, all free.

I'm a fan of neither the genre nor the source tune. I do, however, acknowledge that this is a perfect translation of the original tune into a new genre. One in which something new is added and the tune sounds like it belongs.

In short, it sounds like it was written for light jazz and you're a fine pianist.

I can't really criticize on the finer points until I hear the higher-quality one you're hiding from us, though.

It has a chance of getting on OCR, I think. it has reverb, it has a good sound. The drums don't always feel entirely real, vary their writing and velocity a bit more. The sounds is pretty good considering it's youtube. I recommend tindeck.com for future hosting, tho, especially when you submit something.

I could hear the source easily. It's not a lot of rearranging, but it's certainly a rewrite, full of embellishments and rhythmic changes. There's little I can think of that could get this a NO, but I recommend checking with a judge before submitting it.

Beautiful stuff.

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone =)

Of course it has to happen to me, but some things have come up and I have to focus on taking care of them first so this will once again have to go into delay. But at least I know that I can work on it.

• 1 month later...