Recording off of a phone line.

So, I've been asked as the resident sound guy at my work if there would be a way to record a phone conversation for some tutorials. I know there are ways to record directly off of a phone line because a lot of radio podcasts seem to do it. Anyone have any advice on what hardware is capable of doing this or if there is a simple 'plug the phone line into your computer and use this free software' type of thing.

Thanks!

What you're talking about is whats known as a Digital Hybrid. What it does is it splits the phone signal out so that you can route it elsewhere (i.e. a computer with a DAW set up).

The main piece of equipment on the market today is made by a company called Telos. Piece of equipment costs around 600-700. There are other cheaper options out there, but the Telos will give you the best quality possible.

Keep in mind, your recordings will ONLY be as good as the phone line that you're using and phone lines use a severe high and low pass filter.

Still got a modem? Windows Phone Dialer, one of the optional Accessories programs (at least as of Win98 ), works as a speaker-phone on your computer with your mic and speakers. You could probably easily set up any recording software to grab that audio straight from the sound card like any other audio.

My company uses this to record our podcasts. Pretty decent results, and everything is recorded into Goldwave (which is free). I don't normally do the recordings, but I have to fill in from time to time. Here is one I recorded at the beginning of August for a reference of what this setup sounds like.

http://dynamic.firehouse.com/broadcast/2008/08/13/firehouse-magazine-insider-august-2008/

• 2 weeks later...
My company uses this to record our podcasts. Pretty decent results, and everything is recorded into Goldwave (which is free). I don't normally do the recordings, but I have to fill in from time to time. Here is one I recorded at the beginning of August for a reference of what this setup sounds like.

http://dynamic.firehouse.com/broadcast/2008/08/13/firehouse-magazine-insider-august-2008/

Bitch! You recorded one podcast for me while I was out! You must recognize me as your Firehouse.com podcast king!!!!

Yeah, I'm behind all those firefighter podcasts you all know and love.....

and yes, tgfoo and I work together.

Bitch! You recorded one podcast for me while I was out! You must recognize me as your Firehouse.com podcast king!!!!

Yeah, I'm behind all those firefighter podcasts you all know and love.....

and yes, tgfoo and I work together.

Actually, I recorded two thank you. And the one I linked to was one of the ones I recorded...