Retro Remix Revue (New Album Coming Soon)

gamermcchester

As covers, they are quality pieces of work. I dunno, I guess I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was just listening to the originals with sound upgrades (i.e. kinda like listening to a Smash Brothers soundtrack). At any rate, I wish the creators the best of luck with the project and as with Larry, hope it's fully licensed. :)

I agree that OCR should not change its policies, etc. But I think the biggest problem, and I think this might be what Morse was also trying to express, is that it's sad that a lot of people who come here tend to think that the OCR site standards are the end-all standards and practices. It's frustrating when I know for a fact that the important people on this site like djpretzel, zircon, Liontamer and others can and do enjoy arrangements outside of this site's standards.

It's nothing against the site (at least for me anyway). It's about people having closed minds. :(

Yes and yes. As Liontamer pointed out, "Dave stresses we're not the be-all-end-all approach to VGM arrangement; interpretation is our way--one way--of tributing the music.". And that's great! However, that doesn't stop the kids from thinking and acting on the whole "OCR standards are the end-all standards".

I dunno, I guess I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was just listening to the originals with sound upgrades (i.e. kinda like listening to a Smash Brothers soundtrack).

Not to take a shot at Audix or anything, but this a pretty good example of what Mustin touched upon. The mentality of thinking that arrangements are originals with sound upgrades seems like the "OCR way of thinking" to me. I.E. If the arrangement hasn't steered X amount of distance from the source material, it's not OCR-quality, and not worth anyone's time (or so the mentality seems).

If OCR accepted conservative arrangements (not saying they should, rather, just pointing it out), people wouldn't be bitching about these tracks being mediocre because they're conservative. I say this because people who don't consider OCR's standards to be final word can look beyond the conservative arrangement style and appreciate the liberties that were taken, the production, the mastering, etc.

If we want people outside of our little scene to open their minds embrace game music, would it not make sense to lead by example and open our own minds?

Not to take a shot at Audix or anything, but this a pretty good example of what Mustin touched upon. The mentality of thinking that arrangements are originals with sound upgrades seems like the "OCR way of thinking" to me. I.E. If the arrangement hasn't steered X amount of distance from the source material, it's not OCR-quality, and not worth anyone's time (or so the mentality seems).

Nah, all I'm saying by the Smash Brothers soundtrack reference is that it sounds like stuff I've heard many times before as these franchises like to repackage newly produced versions of their old familiar melodies (smash brothers especially, fzero games, zelda, mario kart).

This is all beside the point, of course. Just because it doesn't necessarily appeal to me doesn't mean others won't enjoy it. Great musicianship, I'd love to see a live recording session.

Yes and yes. As Liontamer pointed out, "Dave stresses we're not the be-all-end-all approach to VGM arrangement; interpretation is our way--one way--of tributing the music.". And that's great! However, that doesn't stop the kids from thinking and acting on the whole "OCR standards are the end-all standards."

Which is kind of a shame especially when that attitude spills over to other places. There was a thread a little while ago where some dude was crapping on some girl's FF7-arrangement project at another site because she was doing straight up sound-upgrades, and he posted about it over here all indignant and shit, like OCR owns the concept of remixing or something. I was like, "What do you want us to do man? Let her do what she wants, she's doing it all by ear anyway."

Of course it inevitably lead to people crapping on VotL for no reason over on that site, causing a whole mini-flamewar that nobody actually representative of OCR was even involved in. :roll:

Nothin' wrong with covers or arrangements, different strokes for different folks. God forbid someone just wants hear Nobuo's original version of Cosmo Canyon that doesn't sound like it's being played by a 10+ year old soundchip. :(

Just don't submit that shit here because I'll NO OVERRIDE that crap hardcore. :tomatoface:

I thought the samples sounded pretty good. Pez, you're smoking something good if this is inhuman-sounding.

actually i agree that they are a bit inhuman sounding... in the sense that the engineering sounds too perfect to the point that it sounds like samples and not live instruments. but it's a minor issue and i think the whole album sounds great

Man what happened to this place... There was a time that every single one of those songs would be top tier OCR quality. Now it seems it's all about overproduced, soulless music. Don't get me wrong, there's still some fantastic music here, but it's just missing that spark it used to have.

It doesn't feel alive anymore, it just feels like it's here to be here, not to stand out...

Remember the Radical Dreamer's flood? Remember virt's early mixes (they used to be here!)? Remember Hillbilly remixes? That shit is gone forever...only to surface on April 1st. That's when the fun stuff can show up.

I'm intersted in what Morse would do if he were behind his own site...

There would be cocks everywhere.

As for licensed albums... how many fully licensed, independently released albums have there been? This Place is Haunted? Nope. ARMCANNON? Nope. Chromolodeon? Nope. Temp Sound Solutions? Nope. The Minibosses? Hell no.

The OneUps Volume 1? Hey we have a winner. Please, tell me some other fully licensed arrangement albums that aren't headed up by a professional studio or company...

As for licensed albums... how many fully licensed, independently released albums have there been? This Place is Haunted? Nope. ARMCANNON? Nope. Chromolodeon? Nope. Temp Sound Solutions? Nope. The Minibosses? Hell no.

The OneUps Volume 1? Hey we have a winner. Please, tell me some other fully licensed arrangement albums that aren't headed up by a professional studio or company...

I'm not gonna touch the first part of your post, but I wanna address this: call me crazy, but I think that if you're going to sell an album of arrangements, you should do it legally and get the rights. :\

Man what happened to this place... There was a time that every single one of those songs would be top tier OCR quality. Now it seems it's all about overproduced, soulless music. Don't get me wrong, there's still some fantastic music here, but it's just missing that spark it used to have.

Is there really any way to get you RIGHT? Statements like the above are "soulless" and are what discredit you in my personal opinion... you show up and make blanket statements calling the majority of the music here soulless and saying it lacks a spark, only because people are criticizing an album that your friends are sticking up for, and dramarama is surfacing. If any of these (unlicensed, sold-for-profit?) tracks were submitted to OCR, they might very well be posted, for all you know. Stop jumping to conclusions and making blanket judgments just because you disagree with a specific opinion or set of opinions on a specific album.

People should be able to like or dislike an individual mix OR album without it degenerating into gross generalizations like the ones you've made. I thought you'd realized this; I guess I was wrong.

crying-baby.jpg

Again with all this?

Seems like we kinda have this thread and the VGMix thread crossing over.

I'll reiterate that I like this site for what it does, but I'd still like to see either djp take the WIP/Blog brainstorm somewhere, and / or Joshua Morse have his own site because he has the speed and Web skill to put something cool together. And personally, I have the Bad Dudes which is very satisfying. (Radical Dreamer flood 2.0 coming back... Today? Tomorrow? I'll get to it sometime this weekend...) But ultimately, why would anyone complain about this site when it's really the only one of its kind? If you have a problem with it, make another one! Fund one! Draw out the plans and put it out there for someone to take and run with!

There shouldn't be any need for dramarama. It's so 2003. We're all growns up now. ...right?

I'm gonna chime in and say I love everyone and pretty much all game music arrangements. The more interpretive the better imo but I can appreciate everything. More game music to the people!

The only thing I'm against is selling unlicensed arrangements. I don't think it's a good way to promote game music at all since it takes away potential clients from the original composers and companies, this leads to bad record sales and suddenly nobody's gonna give us anything else than Halo 4 and Final Fantasy Quadrillion soundtrack. Arranging music and distributing it for free is a better way to show appreciation for the composer and/or game in my opinion. Nobody has to agree, I like all of you anyway, but you don't have to assume this is hate either. It isn't. Just an opinion.

Anyway, love one another, love the music, grow long hair, use condoms. You know the drill. <3

It doesn't feel alive anymore, it just feels like it's here to be here, not to stand out...

Remember the Radical Dreamer's flood? Remember virt's early mixes (they used to be here!)? Remember Hillbilly remixes? That shit is gone forever...only to surface on April 1st. That's when the fun stuff can show up.

I don't agree at all, Joe, and it's not because I spend most of my time on this side of the fence. I judge stuff, my time is supersaturated with these mixes and I still enjoy what the community here puts out.

I can see why people miss the old days of 2-3 mixes a day and overall rougher sounding stuff, but if you've been here for years and years and you don't think OCR has that spark, that's fine. Anything that's not shiny and new, including concepts, can seem like it got old.

But there are thousands of people, including newcomers, who come here every day, download the latest music and they definitely think it has that spark. The music here generally has equal parts soul, creativity and polish.

Hmm...I don't think anybody at retro remix revue said anything about submitting their work to ocremix (or at least not that I have heard, and I started this post). So I don't know why everyone felt they needed to start acting like they're part of some super exclusive website that doesn't want any part of these tracks.

I thought this was a community of people that would find something like this cool... and I think the majority of people would. So, why did the leaders of this site pretend that this was an official submission?

The quickness to start bad-mouthing and the overall aloofness of the "judges" (whatever that means anyway) on this website comes across as insecurity mostly.

What happened to the promotion of good music? These guys obviously put a lot of time and effort into this project, and it's just a shame to see the so-called leaders of this video game remix community, shit all over this cause it's the best shit to come out in awhile.

As far as the licensing, I'm going to try to e-mail them myself and ask them what they are doing about that, but in all honesty, there's plenty of other game remix albums being sold out there. Not the first time a remix cd of any kind has been sold before...

I thought this was a community of people that would find something like this cool... and I think the majority of people would. So, why did the leaders of this site pretend that this was an official submission?

The quickness to start bad-mouthing and the overall aloofness of the "judges" (whatever that means anyway) on this website comes across as insecurity mostly.

Wait. Which judges are you talking about? Because none of the actual JUDGES said anything bad about this album. The only thing that could possibly be construed as "negative" is the hope that this is licensed properly, rather than just a group selling remixes without getting rights.

See this bugs me; why are you forming opinions about us JUDGES when we're the ones actually saying nice things about this album and stuff? :\

The only people pretending this is a submission are Pezman and...well that's it. Pezman isn't staff, nor is he representative of OCR.

Jeez. I can understand judgehate for legit reasons, but this is totally off the mark! :(

EDIT: oh and someone might have mentioned it somewhere before, but why is everyone making the assumption that we'd reject these songs if they were submitted?! They haven't been subbed to this site and we haven't judged them, so you can't say that OCR would crap on arrangements like these.

So much assumption and misconstruing going on here. :(

Yeah but...still. Nobody you're talking about said anything bad about the album. In fact all of us actually said some pretty nice things about it. So I don't get where you're coming from calling us insecure.

Oh and project directors aren't "leaders" on this site. They just happened to direct a project. They don't have any continuing staff positions or anything.

EDIT: also for the record I think the album samples sound great too.

Holy shit Dave... Overreaction at all? I brought that up because it seemed to me that one of the reasons people kind of brushed this off were because they were covers and not super complex arrangements. Mixes like this album were what brought me to this site and I dont' care if you like to hear it or not, but this site isn't the same as when I first came here. Some people might like the current direction, but I miss the old days. In my eyes the songs just don't seem the same. They don't seem as fun and they don't seem to have that "spark" anymore.

Maybe I'm just a jaded old schooler who misses the days of JAXX and McVaffe and Ailsean having remixes posted regularly, but holy overreaction on your end.

Shit, at least I know how to get in touch wtih you anymore. Been trying for weeks to get in touch, but I guess all I have to do is say something negative about the site and then not only do I have your ear, but your wrath as well.

And I STILL don't see the problem with them charging for the album considering damn near every single game cover band out there has put out a CD and 99% of them aren't licensed at all.

And I STILL don't see the problem with them charging for the album considering damn near every single game cover band out there has put out a CD and 99% of them aren't licensed at all.

Just because everybody does it doesn't mean it's right. Making money off of arrangements of other people's work is crap. :\

I'll support places like OneUpStudios because they do it right and get the licenses.

I'm not paying for licenses anymore.

:o

It's just too much hassle and no one cares. I will pay individual copyright holders (Yuzo Koshiro, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc.) but the rest don't care. Nintendo said themselves that they know it's happening and they're not going to do anything about it and they "never license their IP to anyone," which is a lie, but it's what they're supposed to say.

I don't see the point in licensing anymore. I tried it and it's a joke. I'm still going to license some stuff (SquareEnix stuff is easy to license because they're whores for cash like me), but I'd rather pay some dudes some money for their hard work entertaining me so they can buy a nice meal, and not care about paying the corporation that doesn't care about their IP, and at the same time, feel bad that the music is a "work for hire" so the composer - the brilliance behind all this - doesn't benefit in the slightest.

The more I get into business, the more I see how fucked up it is.

Sorry :(